WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy National Pet Rock Day!

Marcelyn – Thank you for sharing the Matt Williams article. It’s good to hear advice from someone who’s been there! Our home in Austin flooded twice, but it wasn’t on the massive scale southeast Texas saw, where whole cities and huge chunks of infrastructure were knocked out of commission. Even so, a lot of his points would have applied.

Katla – The aggravating thing is that we didn’t have a whole lot of flooding in my immediate area. If the storm had made landfall just slightly to the east, we’d likely have had another serious flooding event here, but this time we were safe. Most of us are able to do business as usual, aside from a few minimal effects (branches down, minor street flooding, etc.) but the last thing we need is to be taking senseless actions that make it harder for everyone. There’s plenty of gas, provided people don’t panic and hoard it.

Becca – Congratulations on maintaining your healthy habits in a time of stress!

Heather – Your grandchildren are just adorable. I love the little sheep outfit.

One of pieces of myself I’ve lost over the last few years is the piece that used to do things. I got a little of that back by taking two days off and driving to Nebraska to be in the path of totality for the solar eclipse. That was a lot of driving for a solo trip and kind of exhausting, but I’m so glad I did it. I met up with two very dear friends – one who lives in South Dakota and one from Virginia – so I had good company and an amazing experience. Now I just need to find time to keep doing things going forward. I’ve been hanging onto a lot of stuff I can’t do anymore, and I need to start letting that go and figuring out what I want to do now.

Speaking of doing, yesterday I sat down with Philip and made a meal plan for the week, then we did the grocery shopping. Meal planning is a huge factor in my weight loss efforts – knowing what I’m going to make for dinner and having the ingredients on hand keeps us from going out. So that was a big step forward.

Hope you’re all enjoying the last of the weekend!

-Yvonne in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Well here I am relaxing,have a fire going and my SIL has Dgd down to the arcades..
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I've been lounging with a headache, but it's time to get up and get some work done in the yard. We are having dinner with friends tonight then heading to their house for an evening of cards. This is one of our favorite activities. It's still hot here but it's going to be a bit cooler this coming week. Next week is a long one; lots of work activities well into the early evening...I usually try to get out of there around 3 or 3:30, but next week it will be more like 5:30 each night. Bleh.

Marcelyn: thank you for your though provoking post. Being an old trauma nurse I've seen disaster from that side of things but never from the side of your story.

Well off to be productive for at least a little while! Take care, meg from Omaha
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yvonne - Be very proud of yourself for going solo to view the eclipse. That is really "grown up". :D Taking charge of our own lives and stretching our boundaries is a big challenge. <3

Today I used the IP to make banana cake for DH. I had three bananas in the freezer. Neither of us like cooked bananas, but when I had a crumb of the finished product it tasted fine. I abandoned the stale walnuts I was chopping to put in it :o and used chocolate chips instead. DH has cricket next week and he could take a slice along for his tea. I hope he likes it well enough. He already has some whole orange cake in the freezer I made for him. DH is a skinny minny and easily drops weight if I don't feed him up. ;) His lowest weight is not a pretty sight. :*:|

Heather UK xxxxxxx, still enjoying all her experimenting in the IP on a rainy day in England.

Update : he didn't like it. Just really doesn't like cooked banana. :s I liked it and ate the sample I gave him. :sad: The rest has just gone in the freezer.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Nnn
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! Marking my spot so I can go back and read. As always I got behind on August's thread so am starting over in September again. LOL! Story of my life. Hope you are all well.

September Goals:
    • Be in the 150's by end of September
    • Be walking or exercising 4 of 7 days per week by end of September
    • Have clothing be loser by end of September
    • Be down to working no more than 45 hours per week by end of September

Tracie in Wisconsin, on a beautiful sunny lazy Sunday!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, glorious afternoon ladies. Barbie, I think a lot of the closeness Charlie and I have seen has been because of his illnesses. Somehow that makes you see what you could lose and realize that it is precious to you and you don't want to ,one it. Plus I see his strength and determinedeness, is that even a word, and admire him for it. Stubbornness can come in handy if used the right way.

We had THe Lord's Supper today at church. It's always nice when we do that plus a good time to reflect. My, well it's not mine trio sang this morning. We are all miked and each of us has a strong voice so I hear myself only. But everyone says we are a really good blend of voices. I do enjoy singing in a trio. It always consists of me, our choir director and one of two different sopranos. I'm the lowest voice and I like it that way!

Heather, what is the significance of the sheep outfit on Bea. I love it when you see such an Inness love between siblings. Good parenting..

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Joyce - I have absolutely no idea why Bea is dressed as a sheep! I know Max had a sheep outfit for the nativity last Christmas, but that would be much bigger in size. She looks cute though. <3 We will next be going over to Hove for Edie's birthday end of the month. I am making a FROZEN cake in the shape of a 4 and giving her an Elsa dress and tiara, wand etc for her present, much against my principles. :laugh: Her happiness is the most important thing. <3
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
    37aoedbiu636.jpg

Actually, looking at it again, it is probably the same outfit. :D<3
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Well... lawn's mowed. If you could call it a lawn. It's green--because of recent rains--but pretty sure less than 1/10th of it is grass. Had to strip off my mowing clothes by the washer/dryer and scamper to the bathroom nekkid, as I was so covered with weed seeds and sticker burrs.

More covered with weeds etc. than usual, as I got Corey to get the weed eater engine started for me. It's a heavy sucker, and eats through string, which is good in one way, as you get to stop every ten minutes and replace it. We swapped back and forth a couple of times, so both mowed a while, weed-whacked a while. Finished up this morning, as it's supposed to be up to about 94-ish today. Practically a cold wave! :smiley:

Now, though, the bones in my right foot feel as if they're grinding together, at the top of the foot and the outside of the ankle. It's what I get for not taping them beforehand--I know better. Now we're sitting in our usual lazy weekend afternoon mode, both with a laptop, tippy-tapping away. It's quiet and peaceful...

Hope you're all having a lovely Sunday, and a lovely long weekend for my American peeps.

Lisa in sunny West Texas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla – The aggravating thing is that we didn’t have a whole lot of flooding in my immediate area. If the storm had made landfall just slightly to the east, we’d likely have had another serious flooding event here, but this time we were safe. Most of us are able to do business as usual, aside from a few minimal effects (branches down, minor street flooding, etc.) but the last thing we need is to be taking senseless actions that make it harder for everyone. There’s plenty of gas, provided people don’t panic and hoard it.

Yvonne in TX: I'm so glad you were safe this time. People are usually the source of aggravation in my experience. I'm glad you didn't get a lot of flooding in your area, and hope the hoarders will slow down enough that you can get fuel and groceries. :heart:

We're putting up handrails on the deck steps so that DH can get up and down safely. Some of our bolts are too long so we need to get 8 shorter ones. We ordered the rails from a company we'll be heading to ACE before long.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Bone broth made in the IP is the most deeeelicious thing ever. I put a rotisserie chicken carcass, carrots, onions and water with a little salt into this machine (Instant Pot) pressed a button and wow, really rich chicken broth- more tasty than my typical stovetop broth, I am a believer!

How about this: while on the recumbent bike at the gym today, I was responding to a text that I had just received when a male voice behind me says--"you know if your were using weights instead of your thumbs, you'd get further along!!!" Hmmmmm, I didn't turn or respond. Anyone care to share what I could have turned to say??!

NYKAREN

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa :p:p:p
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

jog- 8.50est, 163mhr, 142ahr, 6.8-7.0sp, 1mi = 116c
    Apple Watch- 119c
    new ski machine- 15min, 124aw, 95stpmin, lvl7 out of 10, 142ahr, 158mhr, 6.4km = 192c
    Apple Watch- 171c
    trampoline 8# ball toss- 15.13min, 4sets of different tosses 15ea, in btwn 2 sets of 10 of burps and squats with jump, 133ahr, 148mhr = 148c
    Apple Watch- 104c
    floor exercises- 20min, 2sets of 10ea, 12 different exercises, 100ahr, 125mhr, = 135c
    Apple Watch- 137c

total cal 584
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Tough day today! I am hoping my youngest calls today or tomorrow! I am weepy all day today, am kind of on the edge. I am fine letting my son go, and all that. Its the fact that he's struggling that gives me heartache. They wouldn't fail him, my husband said. They got a good thing! He might lose his Nuclear Field school status, though. The fact is there's more that don't make it through, than those that do. So maybe he doesn't become a Nuke, it doesn't mean he's failed. I am trying to be positive, supportive, but I need to hear my sons voice!
    Becca
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    15 minutes rebounder (ow) and 25 on stationary bike. Will try to do another 25 on bike later.

Everything else same old same old. Looking forward to getting back in pool tomorrow.