WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of an extremecardio DVD today. Not sure what will happen tomorrow. I did take a Leslie Sansone DVD with me since we'll be staying at Steve's and I know that he doesn't have exercise equipment.

I'm just praying that everything goes well tomorrow. I called Jess this morning to ask her if she got Denise a gift, she said she didn't so I told her to buy 2 shower cards and we'll sign them from the both of us.

Ginger - right now we keep the generator in the garage.

NYKaren - right now my stomach is in knots. I'm going to focus on the fact that we're going out to dinner with Steve afterwards. I'm a bit surprised that he doesn't have internet at his house. I was hoping we might be able to watch the movie "monster in law". I heard it was really funny. If I'd known, I would have rented it. But he didn't tell me until late last night.

Allie - I can understand how you feel. You are so strong. We are all here for you. You voice HAS changed

Well, I'd better get going. Car packed, hope I didn't forget anything.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Got another message from one of those Trolls. I just deleted it.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Decided to distract my "monkey mind," and "squirrel! psyche" with something to get cranky about... So I started back on the Contrave yesterday. This time, however, I knew what to expect. Within a few minutes of the headache starting, I had Tylenol onboard, and my husband suggested ginger tea for the nausea/dizziness. I went up to the store and got some fresh ginger, which he proceeded to peel, slice and steep for me. Let that cool, strained it, and added it to lime juice, lots of ice, some Splenda and some more water. Holy healthy water, Batman, it tastes good. Like ginger ale with actual ginger in it. And my stomach settled right down. Might be the placebo effect, who the heck knows? Not going to argue with what works.

I take ginger tablets when I feel nauseated ... like when I'm in a car or bus on a twisty road, and when I go into a hot flash.

I get boxes of them! I've got a box at work for my trip home from work and for any rogue hot flashes, another box at home, and a sheet or two of them in my backpack. And they do seem to work.

I've discovered they also work on long distance bicycle rides that go into the night. I get a bit of vertigo/sea sickness when cycling up hills in the dark ... it is the swaying of the light, and especially if there are other cyclists around, the muddled swaying of more than one light. But if I take a ginger tablet as the sun goes down, I feel much better.

These ...

travelcalm_ginger_03_0810-1260x542.jpg?db=web&thn=0&hash=2F731CC0A490B8E33403C8BBA657B15E46EE393C

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking)
    March 15: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    April: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    June: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July 2015: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug: 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep 2015: 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan: 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb: 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    March 16: 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    April: 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    June: 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    July 2016: 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug: 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep 2016: 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct: 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov: 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec: 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan: 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb: 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar: 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr: 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May: 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    June: 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July: 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    August: 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min

In August, I ended up within the range I wanted to end up ... between my 2015 August and my 2016 August. I would have liked to get closer to my 2016 August, but a cold/flu/sinus infection kind of took me out of the game.

I see September has been a relatively low-exercise month the last two years ... ideally I'd like to improve on that and do slightly more this year. :)

Sept 1 - 1.4 km walking (15 min)
    Sept 2 - 161.9 km cycling (510 min)
    Sept 3 - 0
    Sept 4 - 0
    Sept 5 - 4 km walking (50 min)
    Sept 6 - 5.4 km walking (65 min) + 13 flights of stairs (10 min)

And then winter came back and the weather has not been nice ... sadly our plans to cycle in the evening went out the window ...

Sept 7 - 2.2 km walking (25 min) + 16 flights of stairs (12 min) + weights
    Sept 8 - 1.7 km walking (20 min) + 20 flights of stairs (16 min)

2017 Monthly September
    Walking Distance (km): 14.7
    Walking Time (min): 183.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 161.9
    Cycling Time (min): 511.3
    Stairs Climbed Number: 49.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 39.2

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 176.6
    Total Distance (miles): 109.7
    Total Time (min): 734.2
    Total Time (hr): 12:14:13
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    There was lightning and thunder this morning when I walked the dogs before breakfast so painting may not happen today. The body of the house is called "blond", the trim will be "jersey cream" and the garage doors "warm stone", the gate and doors will be "currant". There is still a lot to do.

:) "Sabbath mode" on a stove is to allow at least keeping food warm on the the Sabbath in keeping with the Biblical commandment to keep the Sabbath as a day of rest. To many Jewish people and possibly some Christians, rest includes no work including the use of electricity.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. We are puttering along here. Going to get in supplies for Irma just in case. I work tomorrow so I am rushing through everything to just keep us on track. Wishing Irma could extinguish the fires in NW.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! <3
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all, feeling better today. Not as emotional. Going to work on my bracelet which is "therapy" for me. So mentally healthy for me and what I need right now.

Barbie I like the new color of your house. I think it fits the house shape and makes the trees in the back stand out more. Can't wait to see it done.

Machka isn't it amazing how you get these ah ha moments? Something that was right in front of you is finally seen. Glad you discovered the university gym.

Michele don't stress about the shower. You got this. I wouldn't throw the cake. I just would make sure it is known that you took the time and love to make it. A bought cake is so 2nd best. Chew gum instead of stress eating. That way you will have the motion of eating with out the calories.

Allie even though you are moving forward it is not unusual to look back. Sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Divorce is a loss and I always felt like it was a death. The loss of the dreams you had. But you have new dreams now and they will take you forward to a happier life. How exciting to have the whole world open to you and to whatever YOU want to do. Have fun exploring new things. Some advice I got from my mom (with my dad in the Air Force we moved every 4 years) was the first thing to do when you move into a new place is to put the bed together and make the bed. That way at the end of a day of moving when you are so tired you can just fall into bed.

Janet every one of your ornaments you show I like. I don't remember seeing a purple one. Did you do one in that color? When I did some years ago, I also did one all in silver and gold and that was really pretty on the tree. I loved thinking up all the different designs.

Karla welcome to the group. Here you will find a lot of support to help you get back on track. I can relate to having trouble when stressed. The first thing I do when stressed is to think food. Sometimes I can stay away and sometimes I can't. I try to not to beat myself up when I turn to food. It has been a coping mechanism for me for so long. I think once I learn a new way to cope the pull of food won't be as strong.

Barbie thanks for explaining the "Sabbath mode". Makes sense.

Sending good thoughts to everyone in the hurricane's path. Be safe.

Terry in VT (relaxing and enjoying the day just making jewelry with the dog curled up next to me)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Barbie It's fascinating to watch the progress of your blond jersey cream warm stone currant house and gate! Keep the photos coming!

I had no idea about 'Sabbath mode' on stoves. So interesting! This group of women constantly surprises me and I learn so much.

Karla Welcome, Welcome! We post fast and furious, I recommend checking in every day to catch up on posts. You will get lots of support here.

Dr. Katie I have a feeling you are quite a wonderful resource for those students. xo

Lenora My timing announcing the new baby was poor. I didn't mean to contribute in any way to your grief, or to be so insensitive. I lost a baby girl in the third trimester. It broke my heart and my mother's heart. Our new grandbaby isn't due until April, so we are not out of the woods until about Thanksgiving. For those of you who don't know about the Big Sister, she is Olivia, and she was born in February. She somehow lost blood volume at birth and was critically ill and in the NICU for 5 weeks. She is doing well now. Everybody here saw me through that miserable time. She will be only 14 months old when her younger sibling arrives! We are keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well.

Janet Ooooh! I like all those ornaments. It makes me want to try it, they are so pretty.

I am having a low key day today.

Karen in Virginia
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't strength train yesterday but I didn't just sit on my bum. I rode bike to grocery store. And rode stationary bike last night. Forgot to do ankle/foot flexibility exercises tho because our routine here last night was unusual. I need to remember to give myself credit for keeping my activity level up even if I failed on the strength front.

I awoke in the middle of the night and left bed to get some coolth ( hotflash time) and walked right into the door frame in the dark. So now I have a swollen and split lip. No big deal, except I'm afraid it is gonna sting like crazy when I go to the gym pool today. I'm going to look for some discrete and low profile night lights for the bedroom so hopefully this won't happen again!

Laters,

Rye
  • Machka9
    Options
    We're not travelling anywhere this weekend! Yay!

I love travel (and when I get restless ... it's travel I want) but we've been away 3 weekends out of the past 4, hosting and riding cycling events, and that gets tiring.

Winter has decided it isn't quite ready to go, despite the fact that it is spring now, and we've had a lot of snow down to 200 metres, and in fact, it was sleeting heavily at home (45 metres above sea level) when I came home from work today.

So we're talking about maybe heading up to the closest ski area, or elsewhere, where we can go snowshoeing. Not too far away. Maybe. We'll see.

M in snowy Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,620 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen: Thanks for your dance. We don't have rain, but the air quality has improved quite a bit this morning. I hope it stays this way. :smiley:

ryenday: If your exercise is unpleasant to the point you don't want to do it, the best course of action is to find something you enjoy and do that instead. I enjoy bicycling, walking, yoga & horseback riding. Barbie enjoys dance and walking her dogs. We have some swimmers and bicyclists. Try out new exercises and include plenty of time moving and having fun. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I hope you and DH will shake off the illness soon so that you can enjoy life again. Thanks for the clarification regarding Instant Pot. I've found a couple of stores that sell them within 25 miles of home or less, so I think I'll find a good time and stop in to see one for myself. Sending good wishes for your friend with cancer. I think I'd be afraid of what is coming if I was in her situation. :cry:

Karla & Janice Bisset: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

M in OZ: I hope you find something fun to do this weekend, and I'll bet you succeed at it. :smiley:

Yoga today plus our air quality has improved a little & that combination makes me feel optimistic about the day. We have an onshore flow from the coast & our air isn't brown this morning! :bigsmile: I go to yoga three or four days most weeks. Last winter I had too many interruptions with weather and DH's two eye surgeries, and I lost strength during that time. I feel like I'm regaining ground at long last. Later this afternoon DH has an eye appointment and tomorrow there is a lunch with his old school classmates. I plan to tag along.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Star Trek Day!

JanetR - I really like that photo of several ornaments together. They are lovely, and you must be SO patient to do such intricate work.

Joyce - Well, it's always good to hear from you, no matter what MFP is calling you today!

Allie - So happy you'll have your own place to enjoy at the end of all this moving! Have you lived alone before?

Lisa - "Pocket people." I love that!

Karla - Welcome! We are the same age and have the same weight loss goal. This group has been wonderful.

Janice - You're off to a good start, with an achievable goal. New Mexico is such a beautiful place... we lived there for twelve years and I've really been missing your weather since we moved back to Texas.

Only one of our cars has air conditioning and it's the one that stays home with me, so when I have to go somewhere in warm weather (i.e., nearly always!), I arrive hot and sweaty. I was thinking about that the last time I drove it, and decided to start saving up for a bicycle to run errands in town. I've got a one-speed, but the streets in our town are so awful I need something like a mountain bike to get around. That will be a nice present to work toward.

Now I've got to take Phineas the Maine Coon off to the vet and then do a little work. Friday's my day off, but I got behind this week and need to catch up.

Live long and prosper!

-Yvonne in TX
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Are talismans and pocket people the same as pocket angels?
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi friends -

Enjoying a nice cooler week in Tennessee.

Praying for those in the path of Irma and those who need rain to stop the fires.

Congrats to you who are exercising and staying on track.
    Hugs to those of you with hurts and challenges.

Love ya!

TNToni
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I spent quite a lot of time on Utube looking at the kind of ornaments that Janetr does. :D Then I spent quite a lot of time on Amazon looking at all the stuff I could purchase to make one. :o Then I decided to give it a miss.
    I really envy those of you with the patience to do all the crafting and I love all the products, but I just think it would be a one hit wonder for me as I have zilch patience. I love craft and art shops, but I don't think it's in my future.
    I will, however, be making Edie's FROZEN cake for her birthday. The pale blue icing arrived today. I have the cut out figures, the glitter, the snowflakes, the blue board and the blue glitter candles. :bigsmile: I will make the cake, a number 4, when I have room in my freezer!
    Also arrived my new diamanté drop earrings and a diamanté clutch bag for the next cruise. B) They were ridiculously cheap, but look fine from a distance. I'm sure the earrings will break on the first wearing, but they look good. I am a sucker for bling and sparkly stuff. :o
    Also arrived my new Indian tin for keeping all my regularly used spices in. It is a double topped tin with seven small tins inside. Always wanted one and have been watching someone using one on Utube IP videos. I order my spices from Amazon in 100g bags, (much cheaper), so this will be perfect to put them in.
    Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxxxx

PS - it's called a Massala Dabba