Confused About Weight Loss Plateau

Options

Replies

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yea you've done well to stick to such a restricted diet, my mum is on similar she is completely over eggs.
    They warn that when you start eating carbs again there can be a tendency to binge, it will test your will power.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that tracking your calories is essential for learning whether or not you are in a deficit. Since your caloric needs drop the smaller you become, you can't rely on eating what you have always eaten. At this point you're guessing. Not logging was fine for you while you were steadily losing weight but since you're not, it is clearly no longer working for you.

It's completely normal to start off losing regularly and after a few months transition into losing weight intermittently in a series of plateaus followed by "whooshes" of losing several pounds overnight. If you have reason to believe you are still in a deficit, be patient and wait for the whoosh. The whoosh effect is caused by the way the body retains water while breaking down fat - lost fat cells are temporarily filled with water, which is then flushed all at once.

I'm in deficit. I don't feel like defending myself on that point anymore so you'll just have to take my word for it. If you're implying that my metabolism may have slowed then that's a possibility but my initial deficit was so big and I've stuck to the same diet every week for 12 weeks that I highly doubt. I'd need to go to a Dr. Or Nutritionist to get a BMR calculation
    It's not just a matter of your metabolism slowing, a 178 lb person uses more calories than a 147 lb person. Your caloric needs have to be periodically recalculated as you lose weight.

That's a fair point. I know I'm going to need less calories for my current weight but I also only consume between 1000 and 1200 per day so I can't cut much more

With your activity level that calorie intake is too low. So I'm calling water retention due to cortisol from stressing the body. Again, very common.

^^This. Eat properly.
  • CheersforWhit
    CheersforWhit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that tracking your calories is essential for learning whether or not you are in a deficit. Since your caloric needs drop the smaller you become, you can't rely on eating what you have always eaten. At this point you're guessing. Not logging was fine for you while you were steadily losing weight but since you're not, it is clearly no longer working for you.

It's completely normal to start off losing regularly and after a few months transition into losing weight intermittently in a series of plateaus followed by "whooshes" of losing several pounds overnight. If you have reason to believe you are still in a deficit, be patient and wait for the whoosh. The whoosh effect is caused by the way the body retains water while breaking down fat - lost fat cells are temporarily filled with water, which is then flushed all at once.

I'm in deficit. I don't feel like defending myself on that point anymore so you'll just have to take my word for it. If you're implying that my metabolism may have slowed then that's a possibility but my initial deficit was so big and I've stuck to the same diet every week for 12 weeks that I highly doubt. I'd need to go to a Dr. Or Nutritionist to get a BMR calculation
    It's not just a matter of your metabolism slowing, a 178 lb person uses more calories than a 147 lb person. Your caloric needs have to be periodically recalculated as you lose weight.

That's a fair point. I know I'm going to need less calories for my current weight but I also only consume between 1000 and 1200 per day so I can't cut much more

With your activity level that calorie intake is too low. So I'm calling water retention due to cortisol from stressing the body. Again, very common.

Im retaining water because I'm not eating enough? That's a new one but it makes sense
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Im retaining water because I'm not eating enough? That's a new one but it makes sense

Yep, that absolutely may be the answer. I'd highly recommend taking a diet break and eating at maintenance for a week or two, reset those hormones, then get back to a sensible deficit, eating 50-75% of your exercise calories back.