Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Addicted to sugar DEBATE

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    if someone were addicted to sugar, wouldnt they be eating table sugar directly as well? if that is not the case, they are not addicted to sugar, but something else.

People do this. I've seen more than one person eat plain sugar. And even more eat straight honey (I've done that myself). Also knew a lady who ate sugar sandwiches (just butter and sugar on white bread).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Would it be safe to say that people are addicted to the good feels that sugar has? (Is that dopamine?)

I was thinking about it, and if someone was truly addicted to sugar as a substance, then anything with sweeteners wouldn't hit the spot would it? That's why trading nicotine-free vaping for real cigarettes didn't work for me, but nicotine mints worked. It wasn't the act of smoking I was addicted to it was the nicotine itself. So sweeteners wouldn't work as a trade-off for sugar if someone was really addicted to sugar.

Sorry if this has been already discussed, 4 pages is a lot of reading for someone with a short attention span.
  • Lois_1989
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Would it be safe to say that people are addicted to the good feels that sugar has? (Is that dopamine?)

Could also be the taste.

If it were simply physical, I think fruit or refined starches would be the same, and people would be drawn to plain sugar over sugar plus fat. That it's sugar plus fat suggests that either fat brings a good feeling as well (which I think is true) and that taste is part of it.

Comfort food tends to also bring in memories/association/habit.

Definately, I think that is why some people prefer sweet and others savory. I guess the savory would be more fat than sugar.
  • Lois_1989
    edited September 2017
    Someone a few pages back said about how you won't tell an alcohol addict to trade Jack Daniels for beer. I think in most cases the trade off can be something different. Most ex-smokers trade nicotine for food/sugar (not alcohol as the two generally go hand-in-hand). I think if you have an addictive personality you can be addicted to anything. Be it sugar/shopping/gambling/nicotine/alcohol/adrenaline (base-jumping anyone?). You hear of wealthy people being caught stealing because of the adrenaline kick they get.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    LOL, I will add that I've done 1400 skydives. I'm the sugar addict, so of course.
  • cmriverside
    ...and I'm agreeing with you Lois.
  • Lois_1989
    LOL, I will add that I've done 1400 skydives. I'm the sugar addict, so of course.

Holy crap, 1400 skydives!! I would love to skydive, but I'm not sure I have the cahoonas.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Following on from my previous comment about how I intend to quit smoking a lot can be said of using some of the same techniques to quit sugar or whatever your food addiction is.

Firstly I intend to not have any cigarettes or smoking paraphernalia in the house I would say the same to people with certain food addictions is make sure you don't have that stuff in the house, get rid of your sugary cereals, biscuits and crisps if you can't stop yourself. Also don't give yourself opportunities to buy that stuff by making your lunches from scratch at work so you don't eat out and make food choices hungry. And I will also be avoiding situations where people will be smoking around me and offering me cigarettes (so the pub for me) in the case of sugar, at work the kitchen always has cake in it due to office birthdays etc so I try to avoid the kitchen during those times.

I think the similarities and cessation methods can be applied to both. So I have no problems referring to it as an addiction if it helps others. :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Could also be the taste.

If it were simply physical, I think fruit or refined starches would be the same, and people would be drawn to plain sugar over sugar plus fat. That it's sugar plus fat suggests that either fat brings a good feeling as well (which I think is true) and that taste is part of it.

Comfort food tends to also bring in memories/association/habit.

It's probably a combination.

I can use tasty food (even sweets of certain kinds) to self sooth and have "abused" them in that way. I would not get the same effect from eating sugar straight, and do not gravitate to just sugar even in tasty forms. Maybe this means "I just don't understand," but I certainly have struggled with plenty of the same things people are calling "addiction."

Problem (IMO) with the "addiction" term is that it brings in associations with other addictions (the idea that any substance that leads to addiction = bad and harmful) and in our culture the idea that the only response is total abstinence. If we don't assume this (kshama seems to be one who does not), I think the discussion becomes easier.

I tend to think it's the taste too, the more I think about it.

It would explain why vegetables don't do the same thing to the people in this thread who have experienced issues with fruit and disinhibited consumption.

If the desire for a sugar "hit" was needed due to addiction (as I see it), even tomatoes, or squash, or just broccoli eaten in enough quantity would supply glucose to your bloodstream to give you that sugar hit that your body was craving.

No craving happens for those foods, no anticipation (no dopamine release since dopamine is a hormone of anticipation) and we already know that unlike drugs of addiction, sugar doesn't hijack your pleasure centers and keep the high going.

I remember there was some talk a few years back regarding a theory about some people needing a certain threshold of taste to be met in order to feel satisfied, a boldness of it, if you will. This could explain why it would take more fruit to satiate that sweet tooth than it would take plain sugar for those of you who had the issue.

Just throwing out some guesses here trying to merge what I know from the science with your experiences to explain how you apparently are now both eating some sugar without issue.
  • cmriverside
    For the record ( not sure if you meant me or not, Em ) - I don't now eat sugar without an issue. I manage it, because I know that I cannot quit it completely. I simply have no overt consequences from my compulsive eating of refined sugary things. I eat a whole box of oatmeal cookies in one sitting, then don't do it again for a while. Mostly I eat a single serving of something when I'm out somewhere - but sometimes, Little Debbie.

Progress not perfection.
  • cmriverside

Holy crap, 1400 skydives!! I would love to skydive, but I'm not sure I have the cahoonas.

ha, dis-inhibition is a blessing and a curse.