Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I have just been on a 3 week holiday and returned to page 147 of this thread. I think I may have missed a whole lot. :)

My jet lag this afternoon will be spent catching up, and hoping nothing has happened that will close it down before I do.

Nice to be back.

Cheers, h.

I was just wondering about you! Hope you had a wonderful holiday and it is so nice to see you back!! :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Also, terribly sorry for distracting from the cake discussion (but those who know me know I couldn't let ^^that stand...).

To get back to cake...Cake is awesome. Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese icing for me please. Food sharing isn't just a human thing, it's a Great Ape thing. We have always done it. No one is making you eat the cake. You are a grown up, you can make your own decisions.

Your insights are always welcome :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2017
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

But still food...........

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.

I don't expect you to understand. After all you are a layman so are not as sensitive to the misuse of technical terminology.

Something was niggling at me after reading this, and the search function helped my memory out a bit. My memory isn't as faulty as I sometimes think it is.

You've posted that you're retired from working for 20 years in the Air Force on space program stuff and also that you worked as a grants officer with unlimited authority with academia at some point.

I'm not sure where you are fitting in a claim to being an anthropologist now, or where the "cake culture" comes in either of these scenarios.

You mean the Space Race was a billion dollar effort to defend our cake culture? I thought the Apollo program was all about the Moon Pies.

I had an eclipse party for the last solar eclipse. Discovered that the only place in SE Wisconsin to find Moon Pies was Stop and Go stores (attached to BP gas stations). At least the Sun Chips were easier to find, but I did get enough Moon Pies for everyone who attended.

I've never had a moon pie.

ETA: Never mind, I just searched and it looks like a wagon wheel. I've had them. What kind of booze did you have?
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Bloody love a Wagon Wheel. Grossly offended they've shrunk since their 80s heyday.

All confectionery seems to have shrunk in size. They get to charge us the same amount of money but for less product. Or they are making a big effort to help us all be healthy by reducing packet sizes so we consume less. Wonder which one it is...?

• wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    And apparently Keto is evil...
This discussion has been closed.