55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Patriot_Mom
    Patriot_Mom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Down 11 lbs in two months! Finally found a diet that actually works for me. After years of trying the calorie counting and semi-low carb things, nothing worked. Even eating 1200 cal/day exercising 6 days/week I GAINED weight. Have doubled down on a Ketogenic Diet and the weight is coming off. I still restrict calories to 1,306/day, but am eating high fat, low carb, moderate protein and the only exercise I've been doing is walking the dog. So far I am down from a high of 215 lbs to now 199 lbs., so that is 16 lbs overall, but most of it recently. I have logged my food here 65 days in a row and dropped one size already from an 18 to a 16.

Anyone want more info, here's a good site that explains it all and has awesome recipes. No special foods that you can't buy at your local grocery.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I started LCHF July 3rd. Down 26 lbs. I find this WOE amazing and freeing. I keep my calories around 1600 (!!!!) w high fat, med protein and carbs around 20g per day. I do not feel deprived. I do not feel hungry. I cannot explain how wonderful it is or feels. Tonight we r having pizza for dinner. Really looking forward to it. The crust is made w cheese, cauliflower and eggs. Tastes great. Last night Tarragon chicken w Zuchini noodles. The night before Beef Stroganoff w cabbage sauted in butter. The food is all real, tasty and satisfying. I could go on and on but I will stop my happy rant now. @Patriot_Mom, so happy to see someone else feeling the same. And I love dietdoc.com as well
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sharon and Patriot: Is this the Atkin Diet that you are trying? Is there a difference?
    Tell us more about why it is freeing? It sure sounds as though it is working well for you! 26 lbs in 2 months is stellar!
  • Shron123
    Options
    @Eleted - My response is a little long but I am truly inspired by all I have learned.
    I do IMF w the LCHF so eat between 11/12 to 7/8. I eat eggs for breakfast w bacon back bacon (rarely) or 1/2 avocado and usually w some butter as I am not a lover of eggs and the butter seems to help. If I am hungry I will have a tbsp or two of real peanut butter in the pm or coffee w full Cream or if I have carb room a little plain Greek yogurt w cinnamon or often nothing at all. Dinner I get creative with Keto recipes incl fish, chicken, pork and occasionally beef with Keto vegetables incl cauliflower, brocolli, Brussels sprouts, salads and cabbage. There are some amazing tasty recipes out there. I generally plan my dinner in the morning so I know what is left carbwise for the day. No snacking - which I do NOT miss.
    The freeing part comes from zero stress from worrying about food. I eat pretty much twice a day w breakfast being pretty set. I get to play w recipes for dinner but if I don't feel like being creative it's pretty easy to whip up a protein and a salad. Also no hunger or cravings is so liberating. My energy is better and I am sleeping better. We do regular long distance riding (25-30 mi in about 4 hours) plus the training that goes with it. In the past we carb loaded to keep energy up for the day especially in our 30+ centigrade humid summer season. With LCHF I have so much more energy to burn even when the ride is done.
    I cld go on and on but if u are interested go to the LCHF forum here on MFP or Dietdoc.com or start googling and researching. The info out there regarding weight and health will blow yr mind.
    For me this is not a short term diet for weight loss. This will be our WOE going forward. Once the weight loss portion is over I will tweak my macros esp my carbs until I find the personal balance to maintain a healthy weight and life
    Good luck in yr journey!
  • jspecies19
    jspecies19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    After I became serious about living to be 110+ on 2013 I started watching and listening to people closing in on 100.

They seemed to be doing many of the same things as they did 50 years ago the best they could do.

They lived until their will to die became stronger than their will to live the best I could tell.

Hey Gale. I really like this post.- thank you. I have been also inspired by those more senior than I that still run marathons or participate in senior games and have a Pinterest board that I add their stories on. They are my motivation to keep going.

• dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had a moderately successful weekend. I really struggled with food cravings on Sunday. I am not sure why??? I have been a couple of weeks without cravings at all. Tonight I went grocery shopping after work and did well with food purchases but got Taco Bell on the way home. Overall a little over on calories. Could have been much worse and I have not lost momentum. I did a lot of hard physical work this weekend and I was actually down one pound this morning. Tomorrow is my day off and i am going to spend some time cooking for the rest of the week.
  • dlm4mom
    Options
    @Eleted - My response is a little long but I am truly inspired by all I have learned.
    I do IMF w the LCHF so eat between 11/12 to 7/8. I eat eggs for breakfast w bacon back bacon (rarely) or 1/2 avocado and usually w some butter as I am not a lover of eggs and the butter seems to help. If I am hungry I will have a tbsp or two of real peanut butter in the pm or coffee w full Cream or if I have carb room a little plain Greek yogurt w cinnamon or often nothing at all. Dinner I get creative with Keto recipes incl fish, chicken, pork and occasionally beef with Keto vegetables incl cauliflower, brocolli, Brussels sprouts, salads and cabbage. There are some amazing tasty recipes out there. I generally plan my dinner in the morning so I know what is left carbwise for the day. No snacking - which I do NOT miss.
    The freeing part comes from zero stress from worrying about food. I eat pretty much twice a day w breakfast being pretty set. I get to play w recipes for dinner but if I don't feel like being creative it's pretty easy to whip up a protein and a salad. Also no hunger or cravings is so liberating. My energy is better and I am sleeping better. We do regular long distance riding (25-30 mi in about 4 hours) plus the training that goes with it. In the past we carb loaded to keep energy up for the day especially in our 30+ centigrade humid summer season. With LCHF I have so much more energy to burn even when the ride is done.
    I cld go on and on but if u are interested go to the LCHF forum here on MFP or Dietdoc.com or start googling and researching. The info out there regarding weight and health will blow yr mind.
    For me this is not a short term diet for weight loss. This will be our WOE going forward. Once the weight loss portion is over I will tweak my macros esp my carbs until I find the personal balance to maintain a healthy weight and life
    Good luck in yr journey!

• dlm4mom
    Options
    I never thought of cinnamon in plain greek yogurt! Thanks for the idea- might be a big calorie saver for me.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    dlm4mom wrote: »
    I never thought of cinnamon in plain greek yogurt! Thanks for the idea- might be a big calorie saver for me.

@dim4mom also try cocoa power and other flavorings/extracts like coconut, almond, coffee, etc. in Greek yogurt.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hey Pianorun! I also play piano and picked up guitar about 6 years ago (music junkie here)- anyway, I'll be 60 in November and yeah, it's been harder to lose post menopausal (hypothyroid as well), but it's coming off at about a pound a week which is fine with me. I basically eat a whole food diet- cut out most sugar, white flour, processed foods in general. I feel much better having done this. I think for us older beauties, really good nutrition is extremely important. Feel free to friend me-
    And...where is this group for 60 and overs?
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @Jancandoit7 - I don't think you'll hear from @Pianorun, she's the original poster but deactivated her account in 2015. Posted with another account but has not checked in here in quite a while (posters, correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Shron123
    Options
    Found this article on weight loss on a LCHF program interesting. Some good points for any woman working on weight loss post menopause.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/top-tips-lose-weight-low-carb-women-40?utm_source=Diet+Doctor+Newsletter&utm_campaign=d4875f2518-Test&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_41db911777-d4875f2518-466967321
  • chiefod
    chiefod Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That was a great read, Thanks!
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Agree! A good comprehensive look at all the factors that might be causing weight gain post menopause !

I think drinking calories is often ignored. From alcohol to cream in our coffee. I cannot tell you how much I read about fitness and nutrition. Always hoping to discover the perfect way to eat. How were we meant to eat? Vegan, high protein etc.

When you look at the Blue Zones and consider longevity, there is no perfect method or diet. Diet is varied and region specific!

I keep reminding myself that moderation and CICO is what has worked for so many. Post menopausal Women on this forum have lost weight with that philosophy!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Hey Pianorun! I also play piano and picked up guitar about 6 years ago (music junkie here)- anyway, I'll be 60 in November and yeah, it's been harder to lose post menopausal (hypothyroid as well), but it's coming off at about a pound a week which is fine with me. I basically eat a whole food diet- cut out most sugar, white flour, processed foods in general. I feel much better having done this. I think for us older beauties, really good nutrition is extremely important. Feel free to friend me-
    And...where is this group for 60 and overs?

Older people groups tend to be . . . quiet, here. Instead of further splitting & diluting into even older brackets, may I suggest the over 50 group, where lots of people are in fact over 60?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

For about 5 years now, I've been working on teaching myself to finger pick 5-string banjo. I am just awful, but persistent, so am very, very gradually reducing the awfulness. ;)
  • Shron123
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - too true. I read over it again with my hubby in mind and it definitely makes sense. The protein item maybe not as much as men simply have more muscle and wld therefore probably need more protein on average than women. Wish I cld go back and edit my post to make it gender neutral
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!