Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

Maybe it just comes up a lot since this is a diet and fitness site?

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Depends. Low calorie compared to what. And what is the composition of the rest of said persons diet that day/week. Context and dose dude. Context and dose. It always amazes me how some people consistently struggle with this concept.

Cakes, cookies and other grain based desserts make up the highest percentage of calories out of 25 food groups in the US diet.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/foods-that-make-up-most-of-the-calories-american-consume-2015-2

70% of Americans are overweight/obese.

Yep, context and dose dude, context and dose.

It's great that 5-6 posters on this topic have no issue with controlling these item, not like that out in the real world.

No one said that there aren't many people who have their dosages wrong.
    Plus, I'd wager than "cake culture" makes up an extremely tiny percentage compared to little Debbie's, hostess, nabisco and Keebler that people stock their own cabinets with.

True, the amount of these items (cakes, cookies, brownies, etc, things I would consider part of the cake culture food group) eaten at work, may be relatively small for some, but the calories are the same regardless of where they are consumed.

What's really sad is grain based desserts, soda/energy drinks and alcohol, items with virtually no nutritional value, make up 3 of the top 5 sources of calories. Fruits and veggies (with the exception of fried white potatoes) don't even make the top 25 items

I totally agree that it's terrible that the average person in the US eats so few veg, but veg would never rank high on what people eat ranked by calories in that they are quite low cal. I aim for 10+ servings of veg per day, and still they don't rank #1 on my calorie sources, or even close.

I wish I logged better, but looking at a day last week where I logged and ate about 10 servings of veg (total calories were less than 1700), and was trying to eat lower carb, higher fat and had 127 g protein, 34 g sugar, my main sources of calories were:

1) Meat (consisting of salmon and turkey) (388 kcal)
    1) Nuts (nuts and nut butter, which I dipped chocolate in) (388 kcal)
    3) Veg (more carrots and red peppers and less greens than usual, so might skew higher) (280 kcal)
    4) Dairy (190 kcal)
    5) Oil (all olive on that day) (180 kcal)
    6) Eggs (154 kcal)
    7) Chocolate (85 kcal)
    8) Fruit (I juiced half a lime) (about 5 kcal -- normally would have more, but was lowering carbs)

If you wanted to critique my diet, oil has essentially no nutrients, chocolate is not insignificant, fruit is really low, and dairy and nuts probably higher than nutrition would really justified (but it's one day). Still a reasonably nutritious day and well below my personal TDEE (which suggests to me there's some room for 138 kcal of less nutritious stuff) and still veg are not top and would not reasonably be (unless I were a vegan or vegetarian and even then aren't legumes and all grains (like corn) and potatoes in separate categories from veg?

Wondering if sweet oats would count as "grain-based dessert"? No real reason why they shouldn't, as some would eat them (or cereal) as such.

This. I eat a ton of fruit and vegetables, yet they never appear in my top calorie sources on Cronometer. If you were looking at where the bulk of my calories came from for the last week, the top sources are things like gumbo, lentils, and cashew cheese. The only time vegetables show up is when they're mixed in a dish with more calorie-dense foods like rice, coconut milk, or plant oils.

Lentils are vegetables

I imagine most days more calories come from fat than vegetables for me.

Technically, yes. I tend to consider legumes a somewhat separate category, but I realize not everyone does.

The breakdown we were looking at got really specific (potatoes were separate, I think, and poultry was separate from beef, burgers got its own category, so I think legumes likely got a separate one too). This is one reason the "highest category was sweet grain based desserts" thing was a little misleading.
  • lemurcat12
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Depends. Low calorie compared to what. And what is the composition of the rest of said persons diet that day/week. Context and dose dude. Context and dose. It always amazes me how some people consistently struggle with this concept.

Cakes, cookies and other grain based desserts make up the highest percentage of calories out of 25 food groups in the US diet.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/foods-that-make-up-most-of-the-calories-american-consume-2015-2

It's great that 5-6 posters on this topic have no issue with controlling these item, not like that out in the real world.

Plus, I'd wager than "cake culture" makes up an extremely tiny percentage compared to little Debbie's, hostess, nabisco and Keebler that people stock their own cabinets with.

True, the amount of these items (cakes, cookies, brownies, etc, things I would consider part of the cake culture food group) eaten at work, may be relatively small for some, but the calories are the same regardless of where they are consumed.

What's really sad is grain based desserts, soda/energy drinks and alcohol, items with virtually no nutritional value, make up 3 of the top 5 sources of calories. Fruits and veggies (with the exception of fried white potatoes) don't even make the top 25 items

I totally agree that it's terrible that the average person in the US eats so few veg, but veg would never rank high on what people eat ranked by calories in that they are quite low cal. I aim for 10+ servings of veg per day, and still they don't rank #1 on my calorie sources, or even close.

I wish I logged better, but looking at a day last week where I logged and ate about 10 servings of veg (total calories were less than 1700), and was trying to eat lower carb, higher fat and had 127 g protein, 34 g sugar, my main sources of calories were:

3) Veg (more carrots and red peppers and less greens than usual, so might skew higher) (280 kcal)
    4) Dairy (190 kcal)
    6) Eggs (154 kcal)
    7) Chocolate (85 kcal)
    8) Fruit (I juiced half a lime) (about 5 kcal -- normally would have more, but was lowering carbs)

If you wanted to critique my diet, oil has essentially no nutrients, chocolate is not insignificant, fruit is really low, and dairy and nuts probably higher than nutrition would really justified (but it's one day). Still a reasonably nutritious day and well below my personal TDEE (which suggests to me there's some room for 138 kcal of less nutritious stuff) and still veg are not top and would not reasonably be (unless I were a vegan or vegetarian and even then aren't legumes and all grains (like corn) and potatoes in separate categories from veg?

Wondering if sweet oats would count as "grain-based dessert"? No real reason why they shouldn't, as some would eat them (or cereal) as such.

This. I eat a ton of fruit and vegetables, yet they never appear in my top calorie sources on Cronometer. If you were looking at where the bulk of my calories came from for the last week, the top sources are things like gumbo, lentils, and cashew cheese. The only time vegetables show up is when they're mixed in a dish with more calorie-dense foods like rice, coconut milk, or plant oils.

Lentils are vegetables

Technically, yes. I tend to consider legumes a somewhat separate category, but I realize not everyone does.

Can I ask why?

I do too. Why? Culinarily they are different. I tend to group starchy sides that have more cals (grains, legumes, tubers) and put together a meal with protein, starch, vegetable. The only bean I'd class as a "non starchy veg" is a green bean. For the purposes of putting together a meal, corn or lentils or peas or beans or chick peas would be a starchy side.

If I were eating a vegetarian meal, the bean/legume would likely play the role of the protein. Still culinarily different than a vegetable.

They also seem different to me because veg can be eaten almost without worrying about the calories they are so low. That's not the case for legumes (or tubers).
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    So my unpopular opinion (and it's definitely unpopular among my family and friends, who will not let me do it) is that it would be really fun to do a Thanksgiving dinner based on the food restrictions and documented foods that the Pilgrims actually used, to the extent possible.

I think it would a great challenge. They did a Top Chef challenge based on this long after I first started talking about it, and I was so excited. My family and friends still tell me it's a terrible, very bad idea, and they want the traditional stuff. (Granted, I like the traditional stuff too.)

Where's my both-is-good gif? ;)
  • lemurcat12
    My unpopular opinion is that I really don't understand why the dietary consumption of cake by the average American is being argued in this thread.

It's a huge straw man argument.

What's the point? That cake shouldn't be served in public places? Or is it just to get on a soapbox about fat people yet again?

Yeah, I don't know.

I never get what the point of using "the average person in the US is fat" or "the average person in the US eats badly" to argue that people on the thread are wrong to, I dunno, enjoy pie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

4) Dairy (190 kcal)
    6) Eggs (154 kcal)
    7) Chocolate (85 kcal)

Lentils are vegetables

Can I ask why?

I do too. Why? Culinarily they are different. I tend to group starchy sides that have more cals (grains, legumes, tubers) and put together a meal with protein, starch, vegetable. The only bean I'd class as a "non starchy veg" is a green bean. For the purposes of putting together a meal, corn or lentils or peas or beans or chick peas would be a starchy side.

If I were eating a vegetarian meal, the bean/legume would likely play the role of the protein. Still culinarily different than a vegetable.

They also seem different to me because veg can be eaten almost without worrying about the calories they are so low. That's not the case for legumes (or tubers).

I get what you are saying and I'm not suggesting anyone is right or wrong (because what difference does it really make). But, when you say it's culinarily different from the vegetable you do realize that is only because of what you consider a vegetable. I mean if you thought of lentils as a vegetable then lentils would be exactly like a vegetable from every perspective, including culinary.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    So here's my take-away so far:

My daughters and I just had a quick chat and decided pumpkin bowling will now be a traditional Thanksgiving activity. We will make pumpkin pie from scratch afterward. I am dead serious (you'd have to know my daughters). They also mentioned turkey-wrestling, but I may have to draw a line...
    1. You need real bowling pins
    2. The older and more rotten the pumpkin the better
    3. If you have wild turkeys, leave the pumpkin seeds and guts in the street after bowling. They deserve a Thanksgiving dinner too.

1 Scavenger hunt!
    2 Note to self: save Halloween pumpkins
    3 The turkeys I'm thinking about travel in gangs around the golf club houses and make a (hilarious) nuisance of themselves from the complaints I've seen. I would so love to scatter pumpkin remains around and see what happens but I'd probably get arrested.

Thank you kindly for your pointers!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Honestly, barring a jeopardy/trivia/botany challenge, I consider legumes not a vegetable in the exact same way I consider a tomato not a fruit.

It's an interesting fact, but not a particularly useful one.

But technically-technically, legumes are fruit/seeds. So you should consider them a veggie if you consider tomato one.

I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    So here's my take-away so far:

My daughters and I just had a quick chat and decided pumpkin bowling will now be a traditional Thanksgiving activity. We will make pumpkin pie from scratch afterward. I am dead serious (you'd have to know my daughters). They also mentioned turkey-wrestling, but I may have to draw a line...
    1. You need real bowling pins
    2. The older and more rotten the pumpkin the better
    3. If you have wild turkeys, leave the pumpkin seeds and guts in the street after bowling. They deserve a Thanksgiving dinner too.

1 Scavenger hunt!
    2 Note to self: save Halloween pumpkins
    3 The turkeys I'm thinking about travel in gangs around the golf club houses and make a (hilarious) nuisance of themselves from the complaints I've seen. I would so love to scatter pumpkin remains around and see what happens but I'd probably get arrested.

Thank you kindly for your pointers!

We always have Thanksgiving at my brother's and they have a local flock that typically hangs around in their cul de sac. They cross over from one small wooded area to another mid afternoon.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

4) Dairy (190 kcal)
    6) Eggs (154 kcal)
    7) Chocolate (85 kcal)

Lentils are vegetables

Can I ask why?

All of this goes into how I think of beans.

Except vegetarian, and they'd never be just a side, even though I sometimes do toss some black beans in with cottage cheese and vegetables. Then they'd play more of a starch role than a protein role.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    katsheare wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Another unpopular (at least among those who'd rather not lift weights): Most people with back pain don't have a bad back, they have a weak back, and deadlifts will solve the problem.

[waits for the inevitable n=1 can't deadlift cries...]

This here is why I know I need to start getting more weight work in. I'm sticking with bodyweight for the moment, but I know I've got a weak back, weak arms, weak hands, and I know I need to fix that.

Yoga :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Since we are on the subject of classification, how do you classify yeast? Plant, animal, or somewhere in between?

Fungus.

So, would you consider fungus a category of it's own?

Officially they are, so I don't see why not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

4) Dairy (190 kcal)
    6) Eggs (154 kcal)
    7) Chocolate (85 kcal)

Lentils are vegetables

Can I ask why?

Hypothesis: Since Jane is a vegan, she considers them in a protein category.

Oh. Protein makes them not a vegetable? I don't get it, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

They aren't really veggies because legumes add nitrogen to the soil where veggies don't.

Seriously? Where did you hear/read that? Legumes count toward servings of vegetables in the food plate/pyramid.

ah well that would be why farmers rotate their crops esp when they can't get nitrogen rich fertilizer...

<<<<farm girl that lives in McCain country....aka potato country etc.

well known fact when you are a gardener/farmer etc. and the people around you take their fields seriously and actually get degrees in it.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    @piperdown44
    I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.

If it has beans it's not chili. It's stew.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

4) Dairy (190 kcal)
    6) Eggs (154 kcal)
    7) Chocolate (85 kcal)

Lentils are vegetables

Can I ask why?

Hypothesis: Since Jane is a vegan, she considers them in a protein category.

Oh. Protein makes them not a vegetable? I don't get it, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

They aren't really veggies because legumes add nitrogen to the soil where veggies don't.

Seriously? Where did you hear/read that? Legumes count toward servings of vegetables in the food plate/pyramid.

ah well that would be why farmers rotate their crops esp when they can't get nitrogen rich fertilizer...

<<<<farm girl that lives in McCain country....aka potato country etc.

well known fact when you are a gardener/farmer etc. and the people around you take their fields seriously and actually get degrees in it.

I have a small garden since a while ago and planted potatoes this year. Is there something I have to do to properly plant stuff there next year?
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Since we are on the subject of classification, how do you classify yeast? Plant, animal, or somewhere in between?

similar to algae maybe? so closer to a plant than an animal?

Yeasts are eukaryotic, single-celled microorganisms classified as members of the fungus kingdom. Vegan-friendly! (Despite Alton Brown's semi-sentient belching sock puppets.)
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Winter squash good (had my first of the season yesterday, delicata, although I have a pumpkin and a butternut ready to be prepared), pumpkin spice bad, other than in a pie on Thanksgiving. There's really nothing objectively bad about the mix of spices called pumpkin spice but that they are so overdone this time of the year, probably, so I admit to being curmudgeonly.

Bringing us back round to Thanksgiving and in particular my vested interested in the Canadian one, my best friend is indeed resuming her hosting of a big feed and it shall be happening in two weeks. I get to get my pumpkin pie on. I laughed when she asked me today if I could make it. Psychic.

IMO pumpkin pie is one of those things that must be made with fresh pumpkin rather than canned. It's a totally different taste.

I've tried fresh a couple of times, and found the results awful. Also more work. Not trying again.

I have to disagree; it's totally worth the trouble.

Get the pie/sugar pumpkins; they're about the size of a cantelope. Quarter them, remove the seeds, brush lightly with olive oil, and bake at 350 until soft. Let them cool completely then puree the meat (NOT the skins). Measure 15oz at a time into containers and freeze until ready to use. It'll keep about six months. (I did my T-day pumpkin prep last weekend. B) )
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Speziface wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »

similar to algae maybe? so closer to a plant than an animal?

Yeasts are eukaryotic, single-celled microorganisms classified as members of the fungus kingdom. Vegan-friendly! (Despite Alton Brown's semi-sentient belching sock puppets.)

Like mushrooms?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Speziface wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Winter squash good (had my first of the season yesterday, delicata, although I have a pumpkin and a butternut ready to be prepared), pumpkin spice bad, other than in a pie on Thanksgiving. There's really nothing objectively bad about the mix of spices called pumpkin spice but that they are so overdone this time of the year, probably, so I admit to being curmudgeonly.

Bringing us back round to Thanksgiving and in particular my vested interested in the Canadian one, my best friend is indeed resuming her hosting of a big feed and it shall be happening in two weeks. I get to get my pumpkin pie on. I laughed when she asked me today if I could make it. Psychic.

IMO pumpkin pie is one of those things that must be made with fresh pumpkin rather than canned. It's a totally different taste.

I've tried fresh a couple of times, and found the results awful. Also more work. Not trying again.

I have to disagree; it's totally worth the trouble.

Get the pie/sugar pumpkins; they're about the size of a cantelope. Quarter them, remove the seeds, brush lightly with olive oil, and bake at 350 until soft. Let them cool completely then puree the meat (NOT the skins). Measure 15oz at a time into containers and freeze until ready to use. It'll keep about six months. (I did my T-day pumpkin prep last weekend. B) )

I've only ever made it with fresh, because canned is extremely hard to find and incredibly expensive when you can, over here.

I also caramelise the sugar for the pie, it gives it this amazing richness.
This discussion has been closed.