Apples...a zero calorie food??

Options
I recently bought 60 pounds of apples and have been looking for yummy low-calorie ways to eat them. I ran across a recipe for ZERO CALORIE crust-less apple pie. The person wrote on the recipe:

'When I first found out Apples were a "free food" meaning of course that it takes more energy to digest the apple, than the calories it provides, I was so excited.'

I'm still going to track each apple I eat here on MFP. I usually don't track things like celery but, I have a 1 pound honeycrisp apple and I find it hard to believe that it's zero calories...thoughts??

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I don't think they mean it 100% zero calories free. My guess is that it taste so good and has very few calories compared to other desserts it might as well be considered zero calorie.

Unfortunately, I think they might mean that they think apples are a zero-calorie food. I'm not sure if they still do it, but Weight Watchers allowed people to eat all of the raw fruits and vegetables they could handle and not have it count against their point totals.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    While there are some foods that I don't track because the number of calories are fairly low per serving (e.g., vitamins, chewing gum, a couple breath mints), one pound of apples is far from a zero calorie food.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not zero, but a good idea that I'm going to try this weekend. :)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    These recipes are from 2013, this sounds like something that was all the rage then! It's still low calorie recipes, but I still wouldn't call that apple pie!