Apples...a zero calorie food??

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Here's an excellent start to understanding why it's a complete and total myth: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/negative-calorie-foods/

Dammit. I knew someone would beat me to this. I need to be quicker.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yes, and one apple has 22g of carbs which is insane
    Why is 22g of carbs insane?

Why do you have to assume it's not? I maintain my weight on 1800 calories and cut on 1300-1500. 22 grams of carbs from an apple isn't helping me much.

I cut on 1800 or less and eat apples. I don't see the problem.

So that's great for you. Did I ask if you saw a problem?

No, I was just comparing notes. For the same 1800 calories, I don't have trouble fitting in what you do have trouble fitting in.

Now, since you said you don't find apples filling, I can see why you wouldn't chose them.

However. That's not the point that was in question. It was 22 grams of carbs.

If you're low carbing, that's cool, it's just that you didn't come out and state that, you just stated that the 22 grams of carb "isn't helping [me] much".

I was pointing out that there's plenty of room in 1800 calories for 22 grams of carbs. In fact, I had an apple this past weekend on a day where I ate 1200. But I don't low carb.

So I guess if this is down to you low carbing, that's cool, but that's not the apple's problem, and you've sort of made it sound like it is.

On 1800, sure. So happy you can cut on 1800. I cannot.

I'm annoyed at the world today. I'm leaving before I freak out on apples.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    By zero calorie foods, the writer meant that the food burns more calories while you're digesting it than what the food contains. For example, (and these numbers are completely made up), if an Apple is 200 calories, and it burns 300 calories just to chew and digest it, then they would consider it a zero-calorie food.

Foods that are considered zero-calorie or negative-calorie include:

Apples
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Garlic
    Grapefruit
    Lemons
    Lettuce
    Mangos
    Onions
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

However, before you go and eat a ton of apples, keep in mind that there are a lot of controversies about whether they are indeed zero calorie and that studies show that the amount you would have to eat to cancel out the calories is pretty substantial.

This is complete crap. Sorry, it's utterly scientifically wrong. There's no "controversy" because there is not a single study which shows that they are even close to zero calorie.

If it were correct, someone eating nothing but those foods would starve just as fast as someone not eating at all.

Zero calorie foods are NOT A THING. Not in any way you mean it.

Faster than eating nothing at all if they "burn more calories digesting".