Calories are NOT the enemy!

Replies

• emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    My apologies @Iamnotasenior and @cmriverside . What I should have said is that certain individuals are genetically susceptible to being obese through a number of causes. Eating is only one of these.

I'm not even sure how it got to this point, because this was never a part of my original post.

Because you made the claim that if someone is "genetically overweight" eating "bad foods" will keep them from losing weight, even if they're in a deficit.

Or am I misunderstanding your argument?

I don't think that was his argument. This thread would have gone better if he'd never brought it up, it seems like it was more of a tangent. I think his main argument is everything in moderation, including moderation.

I agree...I think he originally was trying to say enjoy a variety of foods and don't fear the more calorie dense foods on occasions. Unfortunately he mixed in some bad information in there and when you do that in these forums you will have to explain yourself

It's wild how people can read the same statements and get completely different meanings. Almost as wild as how different our taste are...because I wouldn't get out of my chair for a salt and vinegar potato chip

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »
    Okay so if you eat 2000 calories a day with 300 grams of sugar included then it's the same as 2,000 calories a day with no sugar? Sugar doesn't make you fat? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

Really? You've only ever heard that sugar makes a person fat? So, hypothetically, if I eat 5,000 calories of tuna a day, I won't gain any weight even though my maintenance calories are around 2,000...because no sugar? Doesn't make much sense, does it.

Your hypothetically comment is ridiculous. I'm trying to make the point that added sugar is not good for you and it's a fact that too much sugar can cause weight gain. So mfp tells me on a 1800 calorie a day diet that I should only eat 100 grams MAXIMUM of sugar a day. So if I don't exercise or workout at all, eat only say 1500 calories a day but ingest 400 grams of sugar in my diet every day staying under my calories, I won't gain weight? I can't wait to go tell my two daughter's to drink all the pepsi, sunnyd and apple juice as much as they want because sugar won't make them fat. (lol) You should try googling and doing your research about sugar because it will make you gain weight if you have too much.

I don't need to research sugar to tell me that eating fewer calories than I consume, no matter where they come from, will result in weight loss. I just need basic math skills. Thanks, elementary school!

And yes, if your maintenance calories are 1800 and all you did was consume 1500 calories a day of soda you would lose weight. You would be malnourished and likely cranky, but you would weigh less.
    Okay so if you eat 2000 calories a day with 300 grams of sugar included then it's the same as 2,000 calories a day with no sugar? Sugar doesn't make you fat? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

Really? You've only ever heard that sugar makes a person fat? So, hypothetically, if I eat 5,000 calories of tuna a day, I won't gain any weight even though my maintenance calories are around 2,000...because no sugar? Doesn't make much sense, does it.

Your hypothetically comment is ridiculous. I'm trying to make the point that added sugar is not good for you and it's a fact that too much sugar can cause weight gain. So mfp tells me on a 1800 calorie a day diet that I should only eat 100 grams MAXIMUM of sugar a day. So if I don't exercise or workout at all, eat only say 1500 calories a day but ingest 400 grams of sugar in my diet every day staying under my calories, I won't gain weight? I can't wait to go tell my two daughter's to drink all the pepsi, sunnyd and apple juice as much as they want because sugar won't make them fat. (lol) You should try googling and doing your research about sugar because it will make you gain weight if you have too much.

I don't need to research sugar to tell me that eating fewer calories than I consume, no matter where they come from, will result in weight loss. I just need basic math skills. Thanks, elementary school!

And yes, if your maintenance calories are 1800 and all you did was consume 1500 calories a day of soda you would lose weight. You would be malnourished and likely cranky, but you would weigh less.