Sober September 2017

Replies

• theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    Checking in after a couple days off the thread. I'm still in good shape. Alcohol free and been to the gym everyday since the 19th when I was really able let the challenge take hold. I'm in it for 30day++. This weekend is going to be a challenge. I'm going to the ND/Miami game. Got invited by a good friend of mine just last night. My class is having a big tailgater. Going to have to pull out all my tools to get through this one.
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    Checking in after a couple days off the thread. I'm still in good shape. Alcohol free and been to the gym everyday since the 19th when I was really able let the challenge take hold. I'm in it for 30day++. This weekend is going to be a challenge. I'm going to the ND/Miami game. Got invited by a good friend of mine just last night. My class is having a big tailgater. Going to have to pull out all my tools to get through this one.

You can do it!
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    I'm in on Oct 1st if you are doing another month!!
  • ILove2Crochet
    ILove2Crochet Posts: 11 Member
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a sober October.... I don't want this to be just a month!!

Me too.
  • PurpleLavender77
    We are doing another month. The October thread is here:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10600389/sober-october-2017#latest
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    I've gone 3 weeks now and haven't noticed any weight loss. Think it would take more time? Plan on quitting for good. Not eating anymore than usual either. Maybe inflamation?
  • PurpleLavender77
    I've gone 3 weeks now and haven't noticed any weight loss. Think it would take more time? Plan on quitting for good. Not eating anymore than usual either. Maybe inflamation?

It took a few weeks for me to start losing when I gave up the wine. Are you drinking water? Are you eating within your calories? Are you eating too much? Too little? Are you working out and changing things up? Your body is healing itself and sometimes these things take time. I plateaued from mid-May to mid-August, and I stopped drinking wine on July 23. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it doesn't go off overnight either. Unfortunately! :)

• FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Feeling cravings like I haven't had for over a month. But, I have already committed to October and I don't want to start over from day one, but I could if I had to.
  • PurpleLavender77
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    Feeling cravings like I haven't had for over a month. But, I have already committed to October and I don't want to start over from day one, but I could if I had to.

Hang in there. Is there stuff going on that's causing the cravings? Go for a walk or do something to distract yourself.
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    So I didn't actually get a drink at my anniversary dinner after all. I just wasn't interested in anything. I think the desire is mostly gone.

This means I'll finish out the month with only one drink! Not bad. Looking forward to Sober October. (It rhymes!)
  • PurpleLavender77
    So I didn't actually get a drink at my anniversary dinner after all. I just wasn't interested in anything. I think the desire is mostly gone.

This means I'll finish out the month with only one drink! Not bad. Looking forward to Sober October. (It rhymes!)

That's awesome.

I plan on finishing September out with zero. This will be two months in a row for me. I have done a month of abstinence here or there before, but it's been several years since I have done two months in a row! I plan on abstaining for most of October as well. I may have a drink or two (birthday coming up) but we'll see. I'm kind of liking NOT drinking :)
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    I feel like I've utterly failed this challenge - I'm not beating myself up, I just feel I could have been better about it. Next month is going to be a LOT better, mainly because I only have 2 social events planned rather than 4-6 like this past month. Honestly, the only personal I'm sabotaging is myself because when I touch alcohol my weight just bounces all over the place, so not worth it.

You haven't failed anything! Don't beat yourself up! Being aware and WANTING to make changes is a huge first step! You are doing wonderful things just be being here, thinking things through, being aware, and trying to plan ahead. GIVE YOURSELF PROPS!

Hindsight is 20/20 and you are learning as you go!

These threads aren't about beating anyone up. They are here to create support for one another as we try to balance living a healthy lifestyle and figuring out individually if/how alcohol fits into that equation.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words!!