Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Replies

• gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Also, it only took me 3,5weeks :# from moving to finally buy a lunch box. Now I will pre-track and cook my uni lunches o:) And to again start every morning with Pinterest pinning my FIT board to boost motivation. I'm getting my routine back and that feels fabulous!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    @jdelaroy How did yesterday turn out?

@gymprincess1234 I don't know if they have them in Europe, but a great place to find used scales are church rummage sales. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better

@HGSmith0920 Welcome back from vacation! Keep us posted on how the bullet journal goes

I went to Crossfit last night and my callous tore off during the workout, OUCH! Today I'm going to take it easier and workout from home. I'm feeling better with two days on plan under my belt, but I'm still waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety over buying this house. The 2008 financial crash really messed up my mentality with home ownership and I am freaking out to say the least. I'm going through with it and not letting fear hold me back...but holy crap is this terrifying!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    @gymprincess1234 Slow but sure! You will get back to where you were hang in there.

@HGSmith0920 Welcome back from vacation. Time to get back on the wagon.

@rachel0778. Good job on getting back on track. Well hopefully the banks have learned their lesson and aren't making ridiculous home loans.

I ended up doing alright. Stayed under calories barely. I did my snail run at lunch today. I ran for 45 minutes so got a few hundred calories back for that. That's 2 in a row. Going for day 3 in the green. Just have to say no to the treats. Right now I am avoiding the donuts in the break room. Luckily they are my least favorite kind of donuts. Happy hump day!
  • cayladebra
    cayladebra Posts: 33 Member
    I need advice, motivation, reasoning. I know i should not be focused on the scale, but what should I be expecting... Two days ago I weighed myself, I have been eating more fruits the last two days but otherwise have not changed the lower caloric diet I have been on. Today I weighed myself, same clothes, same scale and am 3.5 pounds heavier. Is my body hitting a plateau?
  • PhedraJD
    @cayladebra There are numerous reasons that you are showing a weight gain. It is normal for weight to fluctuate a couple of pounds in any given day. First you are a woman. As you go through your menstrual cycle you will retain water in week 2 and during your period. Second if you have added in any strenuous exercise you body will retain water to repair your muscles. High sodium will also make you retain water causing a temporary weight gain. Also it takes 1-2 weeks for your body to react to what you did today.

Some people like doing an average weekly weight rather than focusing on daily weight, or only weighing once a week.

If you are counting calories, you can easily see if it is a real gain or a water gain. You need about 3500 calories to lose or gain a pound. So if you are at a deficit of 500 calories a day (1 pound a week loss) then you would need to be over by a 1000 calories to gain 1 pound.

Hope this helps put it in perspective.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    cayladebra, wt fluctuates all day. Do you weigh first thing in morning? during the day I can "gain" up to 5 lbs, also It's good idea to take down your weekly weigh in, not daily. Welcome back HGSmith. Way to go jdelaroy.
    Well I went to the Dr yesterday. she listened to all aspects of my heart. she explained that the heart will do the work we demand of it but under protest sometimes & a lot of exercise changes the way your heart beats, that is slower & speeds up metabolism so when I'm quietly sitting i may feel my heart beating. I was also feeling like my head wanted to explode with loud ear ringing, which has all settled down so at the end she agreed that I probably shouldn't be doing the hiit exercise class 3 days/week plus I do cardio/weights in between so I'm going to quit the classes & just do my own thing, I am 63yrs old after all. I also found a good website thru here called fitness blender & it's free. I did one of them the other day & burned 150cal. I mourned giving up the classes for a week but accepted it, it's too much for me. I'm thankful I'm in good health & can do other things. So today I went to lunch with some ladies from the dog park, we try to have lunch once a month. I love the chef salad I had with cheese toast. I brought my own salad dressing. Mfp doesn't have their menu nutrients on here so I chose another. I chose the 300 cal. I don't know if it's less than that but better to estimate higher than lower. I'm planing to do another video exercise tonight, doing it every other day
  • cayladebra
    You are both right @Evamutt and @JDelray I should not weigh myself as often. I knew someone on here could calm me. I knew weight could fluctuate 2lbs, but I really didnt think it happened so quickly. I will definetly keep all of this advice in mind and hold out as long as i can until I weigh myself again and keep going. Your words of wisdom are appreciated.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    @cayladebra - I've moved to weighing once a week otherwise I get a bit obsessed with how it changes day to day. Don't forget that it is also about measurements - that is something that I still have to learn as inches off my waist or chest would be just as much, if not more of a result right now than the number on the scale.

@evamutt - sounds like you've been working yourself pretty hard - maybe best to just take it a little easier given that you are already so active.

@jdelaroy - good luck for day three in the green. I'm aiming for day two in the green - finally managed to log a full day yesterday and stay under goal. I've also exercised two days in a row - doesn't sound like much but right now for me it's a big win!!

@rachel0778 - ouch, that sounds painful!! I think anxiety over buying a house is fairly normal. I spent weeks stressing over what could go wrong with it until we had actually signed paperwork - just remember that you are buying your own home and how good it will feel when you get the keys and let yourself in through the front door for the first time. When we did this, it was the end of January and dark - and the power had been turned off at the mains. But it never felt so good to stand in the hall in a pitch black house and know that it was ours :)

@HGSmith0920 - I know the feeling. I've been doing a bullet journal for a week now and it's noticeable that even in that short time, I'm feeling more positive and productive - good luck finding your focus with it! I never thought that I could get so excited about a journal and some new fancy pens :)

@gymprincess1234 - glad to hear things are improving for you.

Not much to report here - just battling through a day at work! At least it's nearly Friday :)
  • Rachel0778
    @janetay01 Thank you for your calming words. I really do hope I start to feel differently once we actually move in!

@cayladebra I'm glad @evamutt and @jdelaroy were able to share their words of wisdom. I absolutely agree, fluctuations over 2 days is nothing to worry about :)

@Evamutt I'm glad you're listening to your body and finding an activity that works best for you. Fitnessblender has some great stuff!

@jdelaroy Sadly I don't think they've learned their lesson. They would have approved me for this mortgage on my income alone and there's no way I could afford that! Way to go on the run, 45 minutes is impressive! Great job avoiding the doughnuts

My SO and I had a great talk last night which calmed me down quite a bit. He's really great at helping me work through my anxiety with this big life change. Yesterday instead of doing any intense workouts I just went out and enjoyed the weather with my dog. I've noticed with Crossfit I've been scaling down my other day's workouts so that I only really work out hard 3-4 days a week, but I'm still active the other days. It's been nice listening to my body and being active because it feels good, and not just going hard to burn calories.
  • PhedraJD
    @cayladebra You can do this. Janetay is right about the measurements too. 1x a month measure yourself and see how you are improving. Also, if you are doing any kind of strength training, your body will change, but your weight might stay the same.

@evamutt I am glad nothing is seriously wrong, and it is just a matter of adjusting your routines.

@janetay01 Hey don't down play your victories. I have gone months without being able to be in the green. so 2-3 days is a great thing for me. Just like it should be for you. I really don't like when people say I've only done xxx, I've only lost xxx. You have done xxx more than you had before, you weigh xxx less than you did. All these small steps are making us healthier.

When I am running, which I am still not sure if I like it or not, and I want to give up. I just keep thinking for each minute I run that is one more day that I will have with my children. I know none of us really know when we will die, but I like to think that I am making positive strides to give me more time with my loved ones. It helps me get through those runs.

@rachel0778 I am glad he can calm your anxiety. It is so nice having an active life. It is funny, I am walking and running more. It is now hard for me to sit and watch tv for hours with the BF. I just feel antsy the whole time.

Yesterday was weird. I had a really good day. Was super careful with my calories, and ran a whole 60 minutes at lunch. So burned some good calories. Probably a good thing. Last night I was home without the BF, and decided I needed to munch on everything. Really weird though. Even though I ate a lot of different things, I didn't eat a whole lot of any one thing. So managed to stay in the green for another day. That is 3 in a row. Wow!
  • mmull3062
    mmull3062 Posts: 14 Member
    I started a low carb/calorie diet last Monday. So far I have met my goals and am down 14lbs as of this morning. Excited to see what the next few weeks has in store.
  • PhedraJD
    @mmull3062 Great Job!
  • mmull3062
    mmull3062 Posts: 14 Member
    @jdelaroy thanks
  • kmshover
    kmshover Posts: 41 Member
    I just read through some of this thread. I love the encouragement and positivity in here. I am looking for that kind of support.

I have been on my journey for a little over 60 days. Down 26lbs. Some days I find it frustrating and others I feel like I am on top of the world.
  • cayladebra
    @janetay01 @JDelray I actually do not even currently know my measurements. I do not own anything to do so. I have started to finally notice a difference in my thighs and stomach however. Whats the best place to find small home equipment for workouts?
  • PhedraJD
    @kmshover Welcome, this is a great thread. I love the people who post. It helps so much to have someone to vent to and encourage.

@cayladebra Depending on the equipment you want, you can get a lot of stuff at Wal-mart/Target, a used sports equipment store, garage sales, thrift stores, Craig's list. Or you can even use stuff at home to start out with. Like can's or milk jugs.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Wow, what inspiring posts! YES we're all successful when we meet our goals over 50% of the time or as I've heard many places 80% is a total success. Don't anyone ever feel bad or like you failed if you're not 100%, no one is at anything. We are all doing SOMETHING GOOD for ourselves & we're a small % of the population. Life is hard & we have to be intentional to make it better in all areas of life. So proud to be a part of this group!
  • kmshover
    kmshover Posts: 41 Member
    @cayladebra - my local Wal-Mart has a really nice sport equipment section and I have gotten a lot of stuff from there. They always have a lot of clearance stuff too. My mom got hand weights for me from a local yard sale. I had a really nice stand for them until my husband stepped on it... :neutral:

@jdelaroy - Thanks!!!! I look forward to reading and posting!!!! :smile:
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Curled up on the sofa with my poorly little boy
  • Rachel0778
    @jdelaroy Glad you were able to meet your goals yesterday (and run for 60 minutes-holy cow!)

@mmull3062 and @kmshover Welcome and congrats!

@janetay01 Sorry to hear he's sick. I hope you don't get it too!

@cayladebra I second checking at big box stores, thrift stores, and garage sales. You can also order a lot of equipment cheap off of Amazon. And tape measures are super cheap and worth having so you can track physical changes if the scale isn't moving.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!! This has felt like a long week and I am really REALLY glad it's over. Tonight I'm going over for a game night at my coworker's house, tomorrow I'm going to a local concert night with a friend, and Sunday I'm going to clean the crap out of my house since it desperately needs it. Hopefully somewhere in there I'll fit in a run too since my 10K is coming up FAST!