WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Lenora, sorry your dishwasher bit the dust. I have a bucket list too. It always seems to get longer instead of shorter! Hope the PT helps your dizziness.

Rye, I like the cabinets. Your kitchen looks so homey and cozy.

Barbie, hope Jake’s appointment goes well and he doesn’t need another surgery. Back pain is the pits. My husband had it and went to Dartmouth to do an intensive 3 week program(7 hrs/day, 5 days/wk). That did help him. His problem was arthritis. The house looks lovely.

MicheleNC, the applesauce trick sounds wonderful. I’m going to pop one in tonight.

Mary, my heart goes out to your godson’s new baby. I’ll send lots of good thoughts as he works through his first life struggle.

Machka, another interesting fact about bees. Hope you get sunshine soon.

Allie, I think Janetr said it perfectly. Be very proud of yourself and all you have accomplished. Welcome to the club. I go to the dr tomorrow for a bladder infection. Lots and lots and lots of water. (boy I’m tired of going to the bathroom). When I move I don’t settle anything about pictures or furniture until I have lived in the place for a while and get a feel for it.

Janetr, what imperfection? The Amish always put one intentional imperfection in their quits because they believed that only God made perfect things.

Wendy, the picture only shows part of your garden but I can image the rest is spectacular. I love the way you show who you are.

Sharon, glad to hear you are not a drug addict. Give your body plenty of rest. We take longer to heal when you are over 50. Please respect yourself enough to not take the abuse. Yes, it is abuse, both physical and mental. When my daughter was in an abusive situation I kept asking her “Do you want to be in the same place next year at this time?” I just kept asking her the same question over and over again. This is a decision you have to make for yourself and I’m glad you have a therapist that you are working with. You know that we all support any decision you make. We will be here anytime you need someone to listen. ((((HUGS))))

Ok, back from running to the bathroom (AGAIN!)

Lisa, what a long trip!

Carol, glad you are having a better day. Isn’t it amazing what a difference just one day will make. Glad the dishwasher will be fixed.

Meg, glad it was just a mild stroke. At least you are just looking awful (which you probably aren’t) and not in a fetal positon in a corner. You are doing well coping with all you have on your plate.

Katla, hope your daughter joins MFP. Chamomile tea is great for helping you sleep.

Yvonne, sorry to hear you father is having problems. It is so hard when the roles get reversed and you become the parent to your parent. I hope you can come up with a plan with your sister to help out. I’m sure she would appreciate the help.

Lanette, ifyour cleaning lady wasn’t cleaning the way you wanted, you were wise to let her go. Remember “Have a clean enough house to be healthy and messy enough to be happy.”

Kate, I like the white cupboards. I’ve thought off and on that I would like to paint mine.

Heather, Sounds like you found a good new jeweler.

Becca, sorry to hear you are having a down day. You have been stressed lately and that will make anyone depressed. It will pass and you will be back on track.

Terry in VT
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    What a day. So busy at work. It's 1:30, and I've not taken a break. Ran out the door without eating breakfast. Didn't have time to stop for coffee. We had a small celebration at 9:00, so I had a small piece of cheese cake without the graham cracker crust and a sugar free swiss miss cocoa, and I'm drinking a G2, and that's it for today. I'm not even hungry. I do have a banana and some oatmeal I may eat later.

Be well.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Wendy – Loved your description of your life!

Felicia – while I have not done what you are trying, I think as long as you continue to monitor what you are eating/weighing/exercise you will be fine. Ok NO POSSIBLE WAY would I do the swing, but it might be hard to get me of the slide!

Rye – I love your kitchen, it has personality!

Karen – hope your wrist is ok

Mary – sending good thoughts to Rowan

Allie – glad that you are moving and it sounds perfect; I do think it is pretty interesting that it has taken this long for it to sink into Tom that you are out-of-there! You are amazing!

So my Levi (dog) has another ear infection the second one this summer, the opposite ear this time… long hair, floppy ears and a personality that has to put his nose and head into everything means stuff gets in his ears and BOOM another gosh darn ear infection. The vet has us trying the different samples that she gets to see what works best. I’m getting good at holding a 50lb dog still with 2 legs and one hand while squirting ear meds in with the other hand… That’s a workout all on its own.

I must admit while my garden is thriving Penny has had more luck with carrots than I have had!!! Once 10 plus years ago I had some grow in a pot, so am trying a pot again this winter. I have been planting like crazy, so far I have in 40 broccoli (40 more in the green house), lettuce, spinach, turnips, beets, radishes, I need to put in Kale and chard and cilantro… maybe tomorrow.

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Lanette, if your cleaning lady wasn’t cleaning the way you wanted, you were wise to let her go. Remember “Have a clean enough house to be healthy and messy enough to be happy.”

Terry in VT

Terry
    - Love this saying! Very true! Glad to hear you are going to the doc for the bladder infection. Hope it clears up quickly!

Mary - oh yes, we often would have half the cleaning done before the cleaner would arrive.

Becca - sorry to hear about your DH's toe. Glad HE had it checked out. Hope Owain is on the mend, poor kid. So happy to hear you've been able to make contact with him after the initial long dry spell. Keep on making that well-rounded soup. I am so glad you are in this group, you always cheer me up even when you don't feel so cheery yourself <3<3

Wendy
    - that's right, it's Machka from Canada who now walks upside down, lol. I bet you do have an interesting blend of accents!

Heather
    - sounds like the painting is moving along and I bet those earrings will be wonderful.

Kate - bet it's good to be home. I looked up your Greek supper dish from last night (can't remember the name right now!) Anyhow, looks like something I'd like to make with the beef and onions. Bet it was yummy.

Machka - I saw a special on Tasmanian Devils the other day! I imagined you biking down the road and seeing these little guys.

Beth
    - (((HUGS)))) things will eventually settle down into a normal routine. Would you be able to take a little time for yourself in the near future like a spa day with a girlfriend or even a little weekend trip somewhere? A change of pace sometimes helps.

Lanette
    SW WA State where it's 85 right now.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Awe Lanette, love ya! I can say that to everyone here! My safe haven, my digital utopia!
    Last night I'm lying in bed and husband told me I hadn't done my daily sit ups and push ups! I'm thinking naa I don't want to! But he persists, and because we always do them in the living room, I grumble, naked and plop on the carpet!! I did 10 more then I normally do, just because I was so peeved!! Course he was giggling because I tooted on the last sit up!!!! Bwahaha! Damn him!

So today for lunch I ate eight Triscuits, with a wedge of tomato, a blob of cottage cheese, and a piece of pepper jack cheese on each Triscuit. I was attentive to putting pepper on cottage cheese, and a couple drips from my favorite dressing (EVOO) on each wedge of tomato. It was good! I then had a couple cubes of watermelon, and a cup of my soup!

Tonight will be something really simple. Maybe my kale mixture sautéed with some EVOO dressing, and leftover Rice a roni.

Love ya ladies!
    Becca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Yes ... Wendy is the American living in New Zealand with her beautiful horses and bees ... and is training for a half marathon.

I (Machka ) am the Canadian living in Australia (OZ) who has an office job, attends university, and is into long distance cycling. :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Yes ... Wendy is the American living in New Zealand with her beautiful horses and bees ... and is training for a half marathon.

I (Machka ) am the Canadian living in Australia (OZ) who has an office job, attends university, and is into long distance cycling. :)

I find this so wonderful. ;)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

So I just did a disheartening thing – or maybe a motivating thing… I have not needed to dress up in at least 20 years… business casual has been enough; but I may need to wear something more “cocktail” dress for an event at Christmas, - not really my cup of tea – but I got in the back of my closet and pulled out the 2 things I have; the good thing they both are in fine shape and would be ok – the bad thing neither fits… one will take a good long bit of work, the other 5-10 lbs should do it. Which is doable in 2 months + BUT I’ve not been able to figure out how to up my exercise. The two things that stand in my way are money and time….. I live in a crazy expensive part of the country and a “cheap” gym just opened and it is only $55 a month plus $1k annual fee… Not so cheap. The closest Y with a gym is 55 min each way drive away (although free). So I really need to be able to do this on my own.

My legs and arms are in pretty good shape, but my core is in Plump shape - LOL

What I do now is walk the dog 2.5-3 miles a day and garden, I garden about 3 hours 5 days a week, but it is really random, some days are heavy lifting, others not much at all, today I trimmed lavender for 3 hours. Better than 3 hours on the couch but not as much of a burn as the day I moved 60 lb bricks for 3 hours. And on Wednesdays I take a 1 hour yoga class – I LOVE this but it is only offered one day a week at our senior center ($4 a class) everywhere else it is $20 a class…

I got (thanks Barbie!) the Strong Women Stay Young book, but got overwhelmed at how to figure out what weight weights to get and how to do it on a major financial shoestring… and being honest… I only read about 1/3 of the book and decided it was outside of my league from just a finance side. So any hints on how to figure out what weight weights you need? Or where to look for such a thing? I honestly have no idea where to buy weights… It’s all outside of my sphere of knowledge. And I am a big bit afraid I’ll hurt myself if I do try to any weight work, but it seems that it would be the least time commitment.

So I have about $50 saved for something - maybe weights are not the answer, any other suggestions?

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Kim, Here is one idea, that I remembered from something Lanette said about keeping fit looking after goats. I sometimes have to carry buckets of water up a small hill to my horse pens. This is the hardest core workout I have ever done, using a $1 bucket filled with water. I have a bucket where I can hold onto the sides, not a handle on the top and I carry it just below my belly button and a little ways out from my body so I don't slosh water on myself. LOL. If i carried water buckets for fifteen minutes a day, I wouldn't need any other weights or have to go to a gym! This totally works my abdominal muscles and strengthens my back and arms. I do have dumbbells at home as well, and sometimes I carry them around just like I do the water bucket, and sometimes I walk up our stairs with them about ten times and that is a great work out. You can figure out all sorts of cheap or free ways to do a weight workout at home without joining a gym or even purchasing many weights. I bought little bars and lots of little weights to put onto the bars, and I just make up my own dumbbells and when they start getting too easy, I add more weights on. I have no idea how heavy they are. I simply go by what they feel like to me. I am heading to my gym today though, so I better finish procrastinating my accounts work, and finish up here! I have been missing my gym workouts and the awesome way I feel afterwards. Craving the buzz... <3 Wendy
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I POSTED THIS IN TWO PARTS … YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SKIP 4 PAGES TO GET TO THE POINT OF READING NEW POSTS. I’M SOMEWHERE BETWEEN “ATLAS SHRUGGED” AND “GONE WITH THE WIND”

Sue – Does the machine cut all the way down go the ground like cutting wheat or does it just cut off the tops like soybeans or both? I find it difficult to figure out how they got just the tops; but, with the description I looked up I now understand it. Down here we’re known for our peaches, pecans, cotton, and peanuts. The way they do the pecans is they shake the trees with a tree shaker; and, then run a machine that blows out all the leaves and only pick up the nuts. Peaches are usually hand-picked by migrate workers and/or family members. This year we did not have a very good year, not enough rain or cool weather when needed. We rode by several groves where normally they’d have leaves and fruit and they were totally bare; but, the next time up they were covered with leaves, but, just about 1/3rd of the peaches that should have been on them. Usually they are weighted down. After picking, they cut the tops off the trees for some reason. I’m sure it has something to do with either ‘how’ they produce peaches or to make them easier to get to. Cotton is spayed so that the leave dry up and die, then they run a combine and it strips off the cotton and bolls … then they go to a cotton gin to separate them and then baled up to sell. A lot of time they blow some out and it makes for a mess along the roads, it looks like a really bad hail storm has come through. Peanuts are legumes and grow under the grown, so they are basically harrowed up and form a pile – the picking off the nuts are pretty much like the cotton is done; usually they are loose in the trucks that run behind them. Wheat is also grown and when it is ready the tractor has a baling apparatus behind it that bails them up and wraps them in a strong plastic. Our neighbor use to grow it and had someone doing all the work; but, now he has planted pines and they are just getting tall enough to be able to see them. We have a good stand of pines which have been thinned twice. I doubt it will be cut in our lifetimes. When they come in to thin them, they have a machine with a tool that looks like a cutter that you’d use in your flower garden. It cuts them off pretty near to the bottom and another set of bars about 10’ above the corner clamps around the end of the tree from where they were cut off to hold it in place and then they take it to a pile and they lift them up into a truck that only has ‘sides’ (rails actually) and drive them down the highway to a lumber yard. I don’t like to be near one … not following one or passing one. One of my BFs in HS and a couple other of us were driving to Macon around a pretty sharp turn and it lost it load. Thankfully it was where we could run off the road and miss them … scary; but, he did not have the load properly chained and the weight of them broke the rails as he tried to maneuver the curve. A neighbor of our when we lived in Albany who has a son that was in Trey’s grade was driving somewhere with her sister and their 4 children; and, it wasn’t marked with a red flag on the longest one and he stopped at a RR crossing and she couldn’t see his lights and she ran into the back of it; killed the two toddlers that were sitting in the middle of both front and back seats; and she and her sister and the other 2 children were hurt – the adults in the front, more so that the children in back. I think this son was born after that.

She was my nurse when I had my near-fatal accident back in the late ‘70’s (before the ‘80’s because I worked throughout the ‘80’s. The pines quite often have had their bark striped and they chip up the bark. We get paid for that, too.

Funny story about a ‘high priced’ stud bull that a guy I worked with at GMAC/MIC came back and told us. He’d go home to Valdosta to work about their farm. One of the farmer’s in the county had paid big bucks for this bull and was bragging about it and trying to find others who had cows. He was put outside in a pasture full of cows and he finally found one that was ready to be bred. Only problem was that he backed into the ‘electric’ fence just as he mounted the cow. Imagine ‘his’ thought about doing that again. I don’t even think he’d breed with on in a ‘breeding ramp’. He had had a bad experience and did not ‘like’ cows anymore.
    We can’t have a ‘controlled burn’ unless we get a ‘permit’ to do so through the Forestry Department. If the wind is too high – they have to wait. They still sit up in towers looking for smoke to have it checked out.

Tonizach1956 and Sue – I am hoping that when I go to PT, I will be able to have BALANCE as my word for 2017. Otherwise I hope it is DRAW/PAINT. I really need to get back to it. I can’t find my box of colored pencils and I got one of those color books for adults and can’t do it. It is supposed to be relaxing. I’ll find out soon enough. I have found that the last 10 – 15 pounds has been really slow; but, I still ‘lost’ this last weigh-in period even though we were at the beach; but, I also walked with Louis a lot. One day was not good enough to go, overcast … even though we would have still gotten sun that day. But, that is not always a good idea, because you don’t expect to get much, if any … but you do. I think that Trey and Jenn have decided to keep the pool. I am so happy. Of course, we might be helping them buy a salt-water filtering system; and, if not this next year, then in 2019 – we night end up replacing the liner. We’ll make darn sure they get all the rocks out of the sand and level it off better. They’re going to have to take it down anyway. He was trying to sell it; but, nobody wanted to buy a pool that would need a new liner and filtering system. He was hoping that Jenn’s half-brother-in-law would take it in lieu of being paid cash when he borrowed money from him. I told him that ‘borrowing money from a person you are kin to, might sound like a good idea’, but rarely is that true. But, he is paying him payments each month. But, at least he did not come to us.

Marcelyn - Glad you got your car back. Each time mine has gone to a body shop I’ve been very pleased with the work; but, this man had been ‘in business’ when I was working and referring clients who have been in accidents as one of the 3 body shops we sent clients to. He did not even charge me for the damage caused by ‘someone’ other than me apparently jumped a curb in it. Tried to make sure it wasn’t ‘additional damage’ from my first wreak; but, he and the adjuster came to the conclusion it wasn’t even though I hit two curbs before it was stopped by a metal utility pole.

Rye – My kitchen is pretty small; but, our house is also a little small. I don’t have enough counter space.

Will says that when he and Tami either buy and remodel, or build, a house he wants to have cabinet and counter space deep enough so they would have cubby holes to put their small appliances behind them in doors. He is such a minimalist it isn’t even funny. I told Tami, that he is sweeping as soon as we start packing … like being swept out as if we have overstayed our welcome. I think that maybe we need to go at some other time than the week his birthday falls in (31st) of August. Seems like every time we go, he calls with ‘unpleasant’ news the day after we get home.

I would like to have lights under my counter. Like the ones that are run by batteries and stick to the surface and turn on and off.

Barbiecat – In this picture the house doesn’t look as bright yellow as it did when you first painted it. It looks softer … but, that might be because of the trim. What kind of flag is hanging on it?

My DDnL#1 and to some degree; but, not as bad - my DOGD, are trying to lose weight. I think Taylor is now losing; but, Jenn almost looks bigger. But, not saying anything to either about weight. To show you how long it has been since I was around Jenn … her hair was just at chin length, now it is half-way down her neck. They live next door; but, maybe I should not worry about it because I have found that she is one of my ‘stressors’ and I do much better when I don’t have to put up with her ‘whining’ about something – especially her weight. And ‘not able to go on my weight loss program because it costs too much. When I get to the point I am only going every 2 weeks or once a month … I will look for a high protein drink and a high protein candy-type of something to eat at night with my coffee. I’ve been checking them out when I go to the grocery store.

Michele – I think that was the thing that my boys liked to, about the Clydesdales. I just think they are majestic looking.

How did the final fitting go? I can remember when Trey got married to Taylor’s mother (she was pregnant – her step-mom had to sew her up in it because it had gotten too tight around her belly and she refused to try it on. I think she had to put a pillowcase to cover the gap; but, with her veil, it did not show. Kim was not, at all, happy to have a step-mom. But, she (step-mom) called and invited Kim’s step-dad to the wedding as a surprise. Never told her she had done so, in the event he wasn’t able to come; but, he did (along with his ‘new’ wife).

Allie – Just stop doing anything for TomCat … he doesn’t deserve you. Don’t let him get a toe in the door.

As for your children … they would be paying for a ‘babysitter’ if they did not live right there, just because you are the grandmother does NOT mean that you should use YOUR money in what might be a ‘tight budget’ in order to feed or entertain your granddaughter. IF they get mad, so be it. Once in a while of ‘free babysitting’ is one thing; but, to ‘expect’ you to do it … I’d tell them, ‘Sorry; but, I already have plans, can’t do it’. They’ll learn. I would offer to pick the girls up from school like I did earlier in their school years; but, now that Madison is 16; and, she refuses to drive … I won’t do it. She won’t get in the car with me driving because she and Emilee were in the car when I rolled it over. I can (sort of) understand why she doesn’t want to drive; but, they need to take her driving on dirt road and small county roads. My DDnL#1 made her drive to the grocery store; she couldn’t keep the car in the middle of the lane. I’m pretty sure that Jenn talked the entire time, which made her nervous. Now, Jenn says she needs to take her to the MD to see if he will put her on something that will calm her down. Then she’d have to worry about it making her ‘too sleepy’.

Mary - Rowan is on my Prayer List … I hope he gets better real soon. He is a handsome little one.

I still want prayers for Will and Tami (and Mallory) that they can get over their loss and move on. Whatever they decide to do ‘isn’t our business’; but, whatever they decide we will be ‘happy’ for them. Will has his family. Tami brought a child into the family and she loves him and he loves her.

If they decide they want to go through IVF again, it will mean going all they way back to "Square One" and the shots in the belly, they having the eggs removed, and afterwards, having huge horse needle shots in the butt.

M in Oz – I agree with your advice of not stopping or either calling for help. One thing is, sometimes people use a flashing light to try to get women to stop. A friend of my Mothers was driving from Athens back to Macon at night alone and a car full of men got right up on her fanny and started flashing their lights; when she sped up, they did, too … if she slowed down, they would. Of course, that was before car phones or cell phones. Finally, they sped around and passed her and she thought she was ‘ok’; then she went around a curve and they were all standing at a bridge in the middle of the road. She slowed down a bit, until one started walking towards her car. She hit the gas and just kept on going. They jumped out of her way, she wasn’t sure; but, might have hit one.

She stopped when she got to the next town’s Sheriff’s Office and told him what had happened. He agreed that she had done the right thing and she could go on home, he’d go check to make sure that she had not injured anyone. I think if someone jumped in my car, I’d drive it up right next to a pole of a building where they could not get out and get out my door in a busy place and RUN!!!!! I would not ‘wreck’ the car, just make it so I’d have time to run off before he could crawl over and get out of the driver’s side of the door. If he jerked open the door and told me to ‘move over’ … I’d move over and OUT of the door. He wants my car that bad, fine; but, I’m NOT going with him. I’d drive through a store’s door if I had to. Insurance would pay and I’d be ‘safe’ hopefully. Thankfully, I’ve never been in that position in my life before. Hope never to be.
    Taylor is ‘tired’ of school after going full time and summers, too. She is ready to get out. Her Daddy wants her to get as much education as she can so it will give her a larger net to throw out when looking for a job. But, she is already thinking about the student loans she is going to have to pay back … and that is getting the HOPE Scholarship (funded by the GA Lottery). She’s been paying on some of them already; but, I told her to consolidate them when she is finished. The financial advisor would steer her on how to do it.

Joyce – I agree – Tax write off – businessmen do it ALL the time. No different than sending her to get training. I got sent to San Antonio and we stayed in a private room. My view out my window was The Alamo; and we stayed a week. We either got a ‘per diem’ amount or we could pay and get reimbursed. I almost always too the ‘per diem’.

Machka9 – Interesting facts about keeping bees. I love the Rainier cherries a lot better than the Bing (red) cherries [but I like them, too].

Janetr OKC – Louis and I never thought for one minute that we would have retired to the county in SW GA.

We really expected to retire to the beach, somewhere – either on the GA coast of somewhere in Atlanta – but, probably south of Daytona Beach. I know if I passed away first, Louis would stay right here until he did. But, there are times when I think, I’d pay off the land and house, divide the 2 tracts of land we have and deed them to each son. I’m sure Will would allow me to stay here with only paying the property taxes and/or very low rent. Depending on my age and mobility … I think I would enjoy a gated-over-55-condo somewhere (maybe even on the Panhandle of FL so that I’d then be about an equal distance from each of them. What I would probably hate most would be trying to find MDs and have them agree to take my Medicare and other insurance as full payment on most things. A whole lot of MDs have stopped taking them, other than for those patients who have been ‘grandfathered’ in. But, some in town have stopped taking Medicare because they don’t pay much. I had to keep my insurance from my job because Louis did not have insurance and mainly because of the costs of my medication I have to take. I hope all that is so far into the future that I don’t have to worry about it.

My BF rents a condo in a nice place that ‘if’ you did not know someone there, you probably would never know it was there. But, she is having a leak that runs down her wall in the living room (high ceilings) and apparently the owner isn’t going to replace the roof (or the owners of the entire condo place aren’t going to do any more than try to patch it. Her condo is just the right size for her. Kitchen is ‘small’; but, it has hook-ups for her washer and dryer. It seems to have good storage throughout, dining area off the living room, 2 bedrooms upstairs, and a bath-and-a-1/2 and a little area off the living room at the front for an office with a real brick floor. I would not want the stairs. They are very narrow, I’ve come close to busting my @$$ going up and down. The small step up to the office can be tricky ‘if’ you don’t know it is higher. She has a buckled up walkway and I told her she needed to get some cement mix and make it a ramp before someone fell over it. All she’d need is a small bag of mix. She knows it, she’s tripped on it before; but, she hasn’t done anything about it.

The ornament is absolutely beautiful. You could probably sell them for a lot more than what you have in them. Find a little ‘art show’ where you can rent a small booth (or tent). Set them up, take orders, and make sure you also have pictures of all you have so if someone comes by and like one in a picture, they can commission you to make them one. Get some business cards made up (you can even do that on your computer several to a page and take them to a copy place and have them cut them apart. Make them ‘bright’ so they don’t get lost in the shuffle that happens sometimes in our lives. Good Luck!!!!!
    I have a Styrofoam tree about 18” … maybe a little taller that my Mother made into a Christmas tree. She drew a line from the top to the bottom and laid the line down on the edge of the material (some sort of felt) and decorated it. I think it was the first Christmas in the ‘big’ house. She let me help her – I was only about 4-years-old.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Allie – I think all of us are proud that you got out of a loveless marriage and moved on (and up). Don’t let anyone ‘rain on your parade; keep one foot always moving in front of the other. Now, it sounds like you can get on and over this and hopefully TomCat will pay whatever his portion of the assets are and hopefully he has not be systematically disposing of them. It’d be nice for it to be over by the end of the year and you could start off with a BANG for the New Year. Get involved with the other residents of the condo and get involved in what they have going on. Just keep your ‘heart’ close to your hand and don’t give my hand to someone you don’t know well and trust. Please don’t go back to TomCat … he isn’t going to change. All he wants you to do is ‘do for him’ … if I wasn’t living with him, he’d become a ‘stranger’ real quickly. You don’t have children together so you don’t have to show up at event they or your grandchildren are involved in.

Sorry you did not get to sleep last night and think it is a UTI or bladder infection. If you can’t get to the MD in a few days, there is a product you can buy OTC and it will give you some relief. It has 3 letters to the name and I know it starts with an “A”; but, your pharmacist would know what it is and where it is located. That and a ‘lot’ of cranberry juice, too. I don’t think it has to be ‘straight-up’ cranberry juice. Then there is pomegranate juice which I hear is also good for washing the bacteria out of your system, too. Remember to drink a LOT of water, too. I don’t have them nearly as often as I did before I started drinking water.

I could not take my flu shot last week because I had the ‘crud’; but it did not last long. I will take it out. Whatever happened to me Saturday also through a curve ball. I did get out of Federal Jury Duty – YEAH! Having had been employed in the Judicial branch and being disabled/retired got my name of that list – probably permanently after I sent in my questionnaire. Go to MD to have a test to see where my BSL has been since they tested it a couple of weeks ago. Showed that I was ‘pre-diabetic’ and my Cholesterol levels aren’t coming down. Surprised me since I have lost 40lbs. I expected the cholesterol level to come down (not up) and was surprised that I tested ‘pre-diabetic’.

Sharon – Not sure this is ‘true’ about children or not; but, as a Paralegal and doing divorce work, it seems like when a divorcing couple starts out having problems … well-meaning friends AND family get involved in something that really is the business of the 2 people involved. While it might be easier to ‘see something that isn’t right’ … like in Allie’s position … when a man and a woman are dealing with a son or daughter going through a divorce – quite often they get that child’s side with the story always slanted to make him/her ‘look good’ … but not necessarily the real story … and a story between 2 people have, at least 2 sides to it. When it comes to ‘friends’ … that is when a couple needs to stay ‘out of the fray’. It only brings more light to a shaky situation. When you hear your child [or even in-law or friend’s] side of the story it is normal to come home an ‘dump’ the information and we used to tell couples that unless they were ‘in therapy’ they really did not need to discuss their issues with friends and family. They are already going through a lot of ‘grief’ and they will have to ‘learn’ to get through it, in order to be able to ‘move on’.

My DDnL#1 is ‘always’ trying to tell her friends how to handle their fights and/or money woes to her friends and family. I had told her that, which only makes people ‘angry’ and that was one reason that people get and something stay mad at another person. Because they have gotten all up in their business without being asked to. As for our 1st DnL (Taylor’s mom) she was ‘running with a group of girls that were divorced or in the process of getting one’. It seems to become ‘contagious’ when they keep hearing about ‘all the fun they are having with no responsibilities to tie them down’. But, for most – one responsibility they don’t bargain on are the child[ren] involved. I will never recommend a couple to ‘stay together’ for the sake of the child[ren] … because ‘Children Learn What They Live’. If you can’t ‘live with each other’; and, you would be ‘better off alone’ … then the children will learn how to deal with that. There are a lot of couples that can’t live with one another; but, they can be friends … at some point (for the sake of the child[ren]. Breaking apart is more painful than getting ‘used’ to the ‘quirks’ of another that brought a couple together. Sometimes you have to ‘get outside help’; but, it should be ‘with one another’. Both partners have to ‘change’ because both of them ‘allowed’ the issues to go ‘unchecked’. It is rare that Louis and I go to sleep without getting over “HOW we fought’. It isn’t an apology for whatever we were arguing about … it is just something that gives each of us a way to reassess whatever it was we were arguing about. One of us started the argument and the other (maybe because they weren’t feel well) JUMPED … it’s important to always keep the lines of communication open. Sometime ‘repeating’ what the other has said and ask, ‘did you mean for this to sound like … whatever’? Quite often you don’t … you had heard all you could stomach and a spouse is the nearest thing to lash out to. For instance … Louis and Trey work together all day. Whenever Jenn calls or texts Trey, it might be something ‘stupid’ and/or ‘irritating’ … in turn he ‘*kitten*’ about it to his Dad, who doesn’t say what he’d ‘like’ to say; but, then he comes home tired, hot, and irritated and he comes inside in a file mood. If I took what he said as he comes in at 5:00 – 6:00pm … we’d probably be ‘divorced’. I let him ‘vent’, let him go wash his brushes (alone), and take a shower. I don’t ask about his day; because I already know it did not go well, for some reason. By the time he takes his shower and mixes a drink, on occasion, he is ready to calmly tell me about his day and what he wished he had said. Most of it is the issues that Trey and Jenn have between them … we really do NOT care (to hear them). They have to settle their own arguments (without our interference). To try to ‘fix’ it only means you might be the one who ‘enables’ that party to get away with what they are doing – or not. Family members do not ‘forget’ the argument and the couple kiss and make up. Then the family member (or friend) brings it up over and over. “That’s when the fight starts … AGAIN.” Yes, divorce can be ‘catching’. If you are friends as a couple, it is difficult to not take sides. You’d be better off backing away and letting the chips fall where they may. This is IMHO.

Wendy – You look happy and quite satisfied with your relationships. I’ve been married to the same man for 45 years. Sure, there are days I want to strangle him, bury him up to his nose, hold a pillowcase over his head and drive him somewhere and tell him to ‘get out’. Like discarding a kitten; but, I don’t do it. Sometimes I slam cabinet doors. He made sure that the doors (regular ones) are not possible to slam. It takes both hands to slam a door in the house and I don’t dare because 3 of them have deer mounts over them. I remember slamming the back door only to have one of his big bass fall off the wall. I think it is a good thing that I am an ‘artist’. I glued the fins back on and took some gel and filled in the parts that cracked off and repainted them. Never noticed it; but, I did later tell him about it. He laughed about it. It wasn’t important enough to argue about. I slammed our bedroom door once (with both hands) and when I finally calmed down and came out; some pointed up to the deer and said, “OOOoooooo, Daddy would have had a conniption fit if the deer had fallen off the wall and broken its rack.” It was at a 2:00 position. I looked up and turned around and told him, ‘well, don’t care at this point’. And I didn’t. He got up and straightened it.

Allie – You’re right “Never say Never” – TomCat is seeing his ‘mistake’; but, now it is just ‘too late’ … when there is ‘no trust’ … it becomes impossible to live with it. IF you did, he would continue ‘catting around’. Like “Tiger” Woods became a “Cheeter” … his spots did not change because they were skin deep … his first wife put up with a lot, for her children AND THE MONEY. Every single relationship he has had since and it has broken up … it is because he continues that bad habit. Notice that ‘so far’ he has NOT remarried. Mainly because his first wife ‘hit him where it hurt him most’ … in the pocketbook. He also dates a lot of women who favor her a lot – maybe that becomes his ‘excuse’ for breaking up in the first place. My question is, “If a married man cheats on his wife with you; how can you expect him to NOT cheat on you?” He’ll probably continue cheating and cheating and cheating.

Lisa – Some men just do not want to be ‘alone’. My oldest son is an example of that. Louis’ 2nd marriage was a marriage between 2 people who had gotten tired of ‘living alone’ … it did not last 3 years. But, with me? We both fell head-over-hills with one another and we are still ‘in love’. We argue, we fight, we give the other the ‘silent treatment’ but both of us have awoke the other up to say, “I’m sorry … I did not fight fair with you.” Not that either of us are saying we were wrong in the argument … we just did not ‘listen’ to the other.

Mary – You are ‘fraught’ with babies. That is meant in a ‘good’ way … like being ‘filled with’.

Katla – Only ONE (2 if you count his wife) want the road paved. I have, apparently, been nominated as the “Mayor of the Road”. All but me, my DDnL#1, and DOGD have cars; the rest are trucks which have a much wide wheel-base. I typed out a letter a few weeks ago, asking everybody to NOT ride in the ruts as it made it almost impossible for those of us with cars to get through. Asking them to move over just a little bit every time they came up and down the road. It’s worked. I also stopped when I saw the “Road Crew Chief” telling him that I had come down the road and passed the grader who had his blade facing out. He came down and we ‘discussed’ some of the problems we were having on the road and why. Surprisingly, he agreed with me. We now have a perfectly graded road and ditches where they need to be; and, they filled in and packed the wallowed out spot at the beginning of the turn-in. Yes, I don’t mind calling my county commissioner and now I have this man’s number. I’m glad I did not say anything about the secretary in that office … as it turns out, she is his wife. God held his arm around my shoulder and his hand over my mouth. I knew why I was being so calm talking to him.

Next time they blade the road, they are going to knock down the small cliff they have caused in front of our house for 17 years of grading it 3x a month. We won’t have grass for a while; but, Louis will be able to mow it without leaving grass grown up at the edge of the road. We allow our next door neighbors to come up and down our ‘fire break’ when the road becomes impossible for them to get up the hill. On GPS, it shows up as the ‘quickest’ way to get from Hwy #49 to Hwy #82/52-something. That is why I don’t want it paved. But, it will never happen so long as the majority of it doesn’t have houses on them. Way too expensive.

Yvonne – I grew up in a house that was a Civil War Clinic. It had the lathe walls with ‘horsehair’ plaster. When we were going to move in; Daddy had the front stairwell walls taken down. They were beautiful and had big round mahogany balls at the top of the newel posts. Same ones that went across the front on the wrap-around porch (top & bottom). He had someone make enough to fill in and also had enough left over in case one broke. The back stairwell way my ‘art gallery’ where I got to hang all my drawings from school. I was ‘in charge’ of where they were hung. In fact the outside of the house had what is called ‘double shiplap siding … sort of an “S” shape – if I had to describe it (or a sideways little ‘h’. I just hated that it ended up being torn down. I did get about a 15’ long piece of the floorboard (which was about 12” wide) and Louis cut it into 3 pieces and I made a coat rack out of it and gave my 2 sisters one each. They love them. Haven’t made mine yet. I’ve been looking for the brass door handles it had in it. One of my HS friends and her husband were commissioned to do the abatement of asbestos out of it and were ‘supposed’ to retain the salvage. Beautiful mantles in the living room and dining room, wide floorboard and crown. They had already ‘sold’ some of that to the people who owned a home around the corner that was built during the same period. Then the church who actually owned the block told people that ‘if they wanted anything out of it, they could go get it ASAP’. Ann and Jack were out of town; but, the warning signs had been put up. They took chains saws to all the windows and doors and mantles (trying to see if they had coal grates in them. They didn’t because that is one of the things my Dad was looking for and to try to see if any of the 6 fireplaces in it were safe to operate. The living room had a cast iron carved – or molded covers on them … the one that someone had taken off, I wanted; but, she told me that someone probably wanted it and got interrupted after they unscrewed it. Would not have fit our FP and way too heavy to hang on a wall. The glass in the windows was that wavy glass that costs about $100 a square foot. I think that was just several reasons they got so angry about it. They did not find the unfinished section of the floor boards because the closet was hidden in the bead board. I would have like getting the bead board in the bathroom; but, she said when they started taking it down, each and every piece was nailed in and they could not get it down without breaking it up.

I love the Pecky Cypress wood we have. But it is rare (here) and expensive. I remember watching “Fixer Upper’ and wanted to ‘cry when they took some down in a MBR by breaking it down when they pulled it down’. I felt like Chip (the carpenter that makes some of her tables and headboards … might have known its value and he could have planed [sp?] off the paint. We had to look around for a while to find it. Will’s bosses have it in their houses out on the land. Ours is stained to have a brownish tone; they have stained theirs gray (the color it would turn if left out in the elements.

Lanette – I need to get some Murphey’s oil soap and do some deep cleaning as I ‘purge’. I know I have dust in the crevices of some of my furniture and a duster just doesn’t get them.

I had a maid who I shared with my boss’s wife, she was a former client. But, Lordy Mercy she could talk the balls off a brass bull. She loved the boys … she’d give them ‘little hints’ on how to act. She’d stay at our homes until we came home; even if we had paid her ‘up front’. She did not think the boys needed to be in the house alone. I’m sure she was the same way about boss’s son. She also did NOT like my oldest son’s first wife (especially when she found out she was pregnant). Even her Dad told Trey not to marry her – she was trouble with a capital “T”, and probably not just the “T”; but the O-U-B-L-E as well. They fought ALL the time. But, as soon as she walked into the house her ‘good cop, bad cop’ demeanor kicked in and syrup would be dripping from the sides of her mouth.

Becca – It takes a while to get your strength back after having pneumonia (or ‘walking’ pneumonia) – when you feel like $#*T warmed over – but don’t want to stop and give into it, or can’t.

I’m back in my boot because I broke my big toe when a heavy glass beer mug fell off the counter on to my big toe. I saw stars and so much blood I was surprised it had not been a head wound.
    You’re so ‘crazy’! And we all ‘love it’.

Lenora

This should add up a few more pages ...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    t31211.gif Kim, I already owned some five pound dumbbells so I started with them. Two good places to look for adjustable ankle weights are Big Five Sporting Goods or Amazon. Much later I bought heavier weights. I didn't try to buy everything at once. If you buy ankle weights first, you can hold them in your hands instead of dumbbells until you can buy dumbbells.

:) the gate between my house and garage opens into a breezeway. Our house is a manufactured home with a garage built next to it. The front and back doors are painted the same rusty red as the gate. The flag is for the Seattle Mariners. Jake is a big baseball fan.

:) We are home safely from our visit to the doctor to see about Jake's back. It was a long day but very pleasant. The drive over was great thanks to Google Maps and Jake's excellent driving. We got there early because there were no "events" on the road to slow things down. We found the great cafeteria in the building across the street from where we went for Jake's appointment. We had a great lunch---stir fry veggies and brown rice for me, shrimp curry, brown rice, and shrimp soup for Jake. At the appointment, Jake answered lots of questions and had an x-ray. The x-ray showed that all was well from his last surgery but what's going on now will have a CT myelogram that will be done soon. He can't have an MRI because of his implanted defibrillator/pacemaker.

:)Mary, glad baby Rowan is coming home.

:)Heather, I am on the library waiting list for Gretchen Rubin's new book. I am definitely an Upholder

:)Sharon, I took Gabapentin for a year and the only side affect I had was that I slept better. Sorry to hear that your husband is being so resistant to seeing his part in what's going on in your marriage.

<3 Barbie from beautiful super warm NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I'm glad that everything went well for you and Jake today! Sounds like you had a great lunch!