Sober October 2017

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I wpuld like to reduce my alcohol consumption. Ive got a wedding and a vaction coming up this month. I would like to keep weekdays AF. I've noticed I've been having more than usual and I make some pretty bad decisions when I've had a few.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I'm in if I may.

I'm keen to try having a month off alcohol, and long term reducing the number of drinks I have so that whilst I may have a couple, I can still get up with a clear head and go for a run the next day.

@Will_Run_for_Food I like your idea of planning ahead a schedule that allows a set number of drinks - too often I've allowed myself to have drinks because it's the weekend, then before I know it the bottle is empty.

Today might be an interesting challenge, because despite it being a Monday and a school night, it's also my birthday!!!
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    This weekend should be interesting. I am going out for Italian food! I love wine and I love Italian food. Will I be able to have Italian food without wine? I certainly hope so!

So far, I have done well in my eating out experiences, but I this will be a true test this weekend.

• shell1x1bell
    shell1x1bell Posts: 1 Member
    Yes!! I'm so glad i saw this! After an all too fun summer of drinking I gained a little weight and I've decided no mare margaritas for a while! #soberoctober
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Well I am working on tapering off and then to abstain. I think my body is too used to drinking, which is not beneficial. I am working on tomorrow being my first full day with nothing. Wednesday is a high stress day, so I will try hard. I am almost 1/2 way in my weight loss, so this has to change.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    PurpleLavender77 how did it go? :)
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2017
    salleewins wrote: »
    PurpleLavender77 how did it go? :)

Oh, it's this coming weekend :) I am open to ideas and suggestions! I am okay going over on my calories with lunch, but the wine will be tempting. with 70 some days behind me now of not drinking, I'd rather NOT start again. But taking it one day at a time, and trying to plan ahead.

I do know that they often like to come to the tables with wine at the Italian restaurants, so it will be true test of my willpower.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    I forgot yesterday was the start of October, and I had two Grapefruit Shandys lol oh boy
    But today until Halloween, I'm in!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Nothing tonight for me. I had my birthday meal on Saturday so tonight was just thrown together and then cake.

But I made myself a mocktail - I don't like them fact that so many non-alcoholic drinks are super sweet so trying to find some less sweet.

I mixed grapefruit juice with maple syrup, and topped up with ginger ale. Still a bit sweeter than I'd like and I'd probably try replacing the ginger ale wth soda water. It's funny because I'm usually more than happy with just tap water.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,251 Member
    I'm in for Sober(ish) October! I'm starting a six-week challenge at my gym today, and want to maximize weight loss and feel generally better (less tired, more clear-headed),especially since I also have several big work deadlines this month. I usually have ~1-2 glasses of wine at least 5 nights/week and then occasionally have much more on weekends, which often leads to poor food choices too.

This month, my goals are: (1) To not consume any alcohol on Sundays -Thursdays, (2) To limit Friday-Saturday drinks to three or less (and must fit within my calorie allowance), (3) To only drink wine (no high-calorie craft beer or cocktails, both of which I love).

I'm in a "no booze on school nights" group here on mfp... It helps and we could use more people if you want to join.