Options
    Awesome, @jjtweb, simply awesome.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You need to take it extremely easy at first. Four years ago I went from 372 (my highest ever) to 308 in about 7 months. In the first month or so, just focus on straightening out your eating habits and maybe start trying to walk a mile or two a day.

Most important thing to remember at the beginning is not to hurt any ligaments or joints that aren't up the the task yet.

You can do this, trust me. Once you set the fat in your body on fire with even a little effort, you'll be burning so many calories you'll feel giddy and your won't be able to STOP moving.

FWIW, I kind of gave up after my girlfriend and I broke up a couple of years ago and I just stopped caring for a while. Then August 1st, I pulled my dusty scale out from under the bed and discovered I was 325. This morning I was 295.

If you don't have a dog, consider getting one (and a FitBit). They're both serve as non-stop reminders that it probably time for another walk.

A dog is a great idea. I got my doggie after finishing treatment for breast cancer. I put on 4 stone during chemo and my joints and my back were so achy all the time. I got out of breath just walking up the stairs and it scared me. I couldn't handle the gym so I got a golden retriever and we do 1-2 hours of walking a day. It's made a massive difference to my emotional and physical health. Even if you don't get a dog... get out there and walk. It's kinder to your joints than running and it is a great mood boost. You can do this. Log your food, stay within your calorie goal and get some walking in every day and you'll see the weight start to shift. Be consistent, be patient and get at it. Much love and wishing you health and happiness xx
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    My dog will walk so far then he wants to be carried the rest of the way.

What kind of dog is he? Is he a puppy?
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options

He's a pom poo and he's 3. His front legs dint grow right so he's higher on his back legs then his front.

• LearningToFly13
    Options

He's a pom poo and he's 3. His front legs dint grow right so he's higher on his back legs then his front.

Ah bless him. I agree with Hydechildcare. Maybe take him for a short walk, drop him at home and carry on by yourself. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Best of luck
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It is possible.

I recommend that you seek a doctor's advice because you are trying to lose more than 5% of your total body weight in a year. They'll have a lot more information and advice that will be helpful to you, as well to help you avoid potential problems.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    It is possible.

I recommend that you seek a doctor's advice because you are trying to lose more than 5% of your total body weight in a year. They'll have a lot more information and advice that will be helpful to you, as well to help you avoid potential problems.

surely you meant more than 50%? not sure how losing more than 5% in a year would require a doctor's ok!?
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    He has already said he goes to a doctor regularly to weigh himself, I'm sure this has been discussed with him already.

I've mostly seen advice about clearing exercise programs with your physician, not weight loss itself. Exercise makes more sense, because there may well be physical reasons as to why exercise is a bad idea.

I doubt any physician is going to tell an overweight or obese patient that they shouldn't lose weight. If you're going to do a VLCD, then you need to see a doctor, but otherwise, no.
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sees doctors on a regular basis more then a regular basis (have a illness that causes tumors and what not). (Has 2 tumors on my tyroides alone)