October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/10-6.5
    2/10-10.1 (longest run to date, first time in double figures!)
    3/10-REST
    4/10-3.1 (running club)
    5/10-6.0
    6/10- T25 workout
    7/10-5.2 (parkrun)
    8/10-5.0
    9/10-REST
    10/10-4.5
    11/10-7.2 (running club)
    12/10-4.5

Total - 51.8/120 Miles
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s

Slogged it out on the treadmill, slow and hot.

Tomorrow is a 12 mile tempo run. I think my goal will be finishing.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso What exercises does "Booty day" entail? Based on my injuries I think I could use that too!

Squats (like 3 different kinds), Lunges, reverse hypers, glute kickbacks. I think that's it. I am doing the Jessie's Girls Bikini Body 1 program. I modify it to have separate cardio days so I can run and fit everything in.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley I had really bad plantar fasciitis. I have a job where I am on my feet all day, and the pharmacist there told me about Alegria shoes. They really helped me out without having to spend tons of money on orthotics. I don't know if that's an option for you, and it doesn't help with running, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @orphia I've always found that exercise helps my back problems, especially my upper back (between my shoulder blades. My lower back generally gets aggravated by things like gardening or working on the floor in the house.

@RespectTheKitty Keep forgetting to congratulate you on the treadmill find :-D Nice bowling! That's double my usual score. LOL

@skippygirlsmom Poor skip! I hope the magnesium and potassium helps. My husband has terrible charlie horse cramps when he's low on those.

@elise4270 Hope you are feeling better by now.....

@_nikkiwolf_ Hilarious giraffe!

I have a sore throat today. I hope I'm not really getting sick :s

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    /1: 16.35k -Easy long run-
    10/2: 10.3k -Easy+11 strides-
    10/5: 10.6k -Moderate Tempo-
    10/6: 7.6k -Easy run-
    10/7: 15k -Intervals-
    10/8: 14.4k -Easy run-
    10/12: 10.6k -Easy run-

Finally, after 3 days at bed with flu I managed to accompliched an easy 10k today!

Goal: 84.8k/180k

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k: 49:47 (new PR)
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k: 1:17:59
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k: Not registered
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFTU 10k
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @skippygirlsmom - Thank you for the condolences!

This morning run was a very major suck fest! I had a great run on Wednesday but for some reason this morning I wasn't feeling it. I overslept and started later and only did 3 of my 5 miles planned. I think my shoe was tied to tight on the left foot and it caused the foot to go numb. Fixed it around mile 2 but did not get feeling back in it until after mile 3. I am planning to do the two miles tonight when I get home from work.

10/06 - 4.0 miles
    10/08 - 4.0 miles
    10/09 - Rest Day
    10/10 - Rest Day (not planned)
    10/11 - 4.0 miles
    10/12 - 3.0 miles at time of this posting

15/119 miles

Upcoming Races:
    12/02/2017 St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend (HM)
    01/13/2018 - Louisiana Marathon (Quarter Marathon)
    02/17/2018 - Mardi Gras Mambo (10K)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I love the giraffe whether real or not. I would look forward to seeing him/her along the way regardless. I don't have a hedge like that but I am with you and would put one up if I had one! Hmmm maybe I could put one up looking over our back wall...
    @Orphia - do you have 'sleeves'? When the weather is going to be cool and warm up I usually wear sleeves at the start and I can pull them down as I warm up and even take them off and tie them on my belt or shove into a pocket. Much easier than dealing with a jacket. You can get them now in all kinds of weights and fabrics. The ones I like best I got at an Asics outlet (they have grippy stuff to help them stay up and come down over my hands to keep them warm too), but I also like my Smartwool ones too.
    @RunsOnEspresso - Well there is always college football... ASU isn't doing too bad. Kind of right there in the middle of the Pac-12 with UCLA and the others...
    @skippygirlsmom - my daughter said the same thing about the magnesium. I have been taking it for a while now for the cramps I was having and it has helped with those. I just wish I could figure what I did or am doing to cause it in the 1st place. I even had trouble this morning when I got up. It feels like I ran a really fast HM with hills and my legs are really angry... It would be understandable if I had but...
    I hope Skip's calf feels better for the meet! Did she ice it too?

No running for me today. I had planned to but I am going to call it an active rest day instead. I will be taking the pup out for a long walk hopefully and then off to the gym (reopened today!) for some strength training.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    navygrrl wrote: »
    @hjeppley I had really bad plantar fasciitis. I have a job where I am on my feet all day, and the pharmacist there told me about Alegria shoes. They really helped me out without having to spend tons of money on orthotics. I don't know if that's an option for you, and it doesn't help with running, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

@navygrrl and @hjeppley - I tore my plantar fascia 2-3 years ago and the sports ortho doctor recommended a yoga pose called 'toes pose'. I try to do it every day and I have not had any further issues.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training-video/toes-pose
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber We don't root for ASU in our house. :D BF went to U of A. I am a Badgers fan for college (I'm from WI).
  • LC0924
    LC0924 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @NikolaosKey glad you're feeling better!

@Elise4270 I could do that! I'm still figuring out how to run again (lol!) but that sounds like a great time :)

Said I was doing a 20 min run/walk on Tuesday... Yeah, that didn't happen. Did 15 min last night and feel pretty good today - shin is weird and achey and meh but not too bad. Encouraged by all you rehabbers who are making it happen!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    LC0924 wrote: »

@Elise4270 I could do that! I'm still figuring out how to run again (lol!) but that sounds like a great time :)

Said I was doing a 20 min run/walk on Tuesday... Yeah, that didn't happen. Did 15 min last night and feel pretty good today - shin is weird and achey and meh but not too bad. Encouraged by all you rehabbers who are making it happen!

Nice thing about trails, is that they are a bit slower and a lot more fun!

@greenolivetree and @skippygirlsmom @shanaber (I think). Stomach still very unhappy. Thank goodness I have a strange leg pain that'll keep me from running today. Tomorrow being Friday the 13 I wanted to get a good run in, as it's usually a good day for me. Sunday the 15 not so much. :smirk: ETA I feel like I might need some body glide on my ....
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    October goal: 70 miles

10/1: 7.7 miles
    10/3: 3 miles (intervals)
    10/4: 3.1 miles
    10/5: 2.3 miles
    10/7: 3.1 miles (race)
    10/8: 5.7 miles
    10/10: 3.3 miles (intervals)
    10/11: 3.2 miles
    10/12: 2.7 miles

34.1/70 miles

I had a nice little run today. I decided to run at lunch since 81F seemed a lot better than 90F. It is funny a few weeks ago I would have thought 90F was a relief. For the most part my run was really good. Nothing really special, sometimes I just love the way I feel when I run.

There were two things that bothered me though. There is a stretch of road with no houses that runs next to some factories and is just outside the city limits. It's usually kind of nice because it feels like you are out in the country. For some reason people have decided that it is a good place to dump trash. There were 3 sets of twin size mattresses and box springs, a recliner and several cardboard boxes. What makes it even worse is less than 1/2 a mile from this spot is the city dump where you can actually go and dump trash like that. I guess they didn't want to pay to dump the trash. I'm fixing to call the city and report it. I hope they will send someone out to pick it up. The other thing was some girl driving by yelled something at me out of her car. Between the wind, the traffic and my music I couldn't understand what she said. That's the first time anyone ever yelled anything at me when I was running.

Upcoming Races:
    10/7/17: Old Rip 5K ✔ PR: 30:46; 1st in AG
    10/14/17: Aim at Melanoma 5K (virtual)

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Yuck. Hope they get out there an clean that up. I have to assume the girl yelling was cheering you on. Funny about the temp. The cooler it gets the greedier I get, 70? Nah where's 50!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks for that link. I'll definitely be trying that once I'm able.
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Working on getting back in the rhythm. Used my new Garmin Forerunner 235 this morning to plan a workout, but it said it wasn't connected, phone said it was, etc., etc., until I'd almost run out of time for my run. When it works, I love it, but......
    First self-planned workout on the watch. When I got to the fast strides in middle, it seemed like time was dragging, and I realized I'd scheduled 5 HOURS of sprinting in the middle of the run. My heart sank, but in the end, it made the 5 minutes seem a lot shorter!

exercise.png