• ColetteM6
    ColetteM6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Woot!
    - from the City of Brotherly Love
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    That's 4 lbs a week. They do it on 'Biggest Loser' and gastric bypass patients do it, but if you still have a gall bladder you might want to halve that loss to 2 lbs per week or whatever is recommended by your doctor. Do consider being under a doctor's care during the process. A healthy Mediterranean, DASH, or plant based diet is now recommended by the American College of Cardiology and by the ADA. I do Mediterranean and record everything here in MFP to make sure I'm not overdoing. I also walk into the gym 3 days a week for circuit and walk before breakfast every morning and on my work breaks.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sending good vibes from outside of Washington, DC!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Keep going buddy!!

All the love and support from Dallas, TX!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    BJCrewe, if it hurts to stand up, can you order a set of handweights online and keep them by your bed and do some exercises while lying down? If you did a few sets just to raise your heartbeat a little and to get your blood moving that might help. Same with any leg exercises: raises, scissors etc. Just general moving around while lying down, doing as much of it as you can bear to do - just outside your comfort zone, will help as your bodyweight will act as a powerful resistance tool but it won't put pressure on your spine.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey BJ if you got the scale I use it's digital. Let it call out your weight and look straight ahead and stand still. You will get different readings for all the reasons people said. Weigh once when you wake up after going to the bathroom and before dressing in heavy clothing. It may be different then the doctors but it's a tool to help you know your going in the right direction. Your body automically retains fluids over the course of the day so weighing later you will weigh more but it's not true pounds. If you don't want it to call out step off the amount stays for a few seconds so you can look down. Mine I put on a hard floor no carpet or rugs. Sometimes it gets moved around and even that can make it weight different. Let it turn off, pick it up and set it down then turn it on. It will reset itself.

I don't know about you BJ but at 487 I couldn't really walk much more than 50 steps or truly exercise. But remember I'm a pretty old woman and you look like a young guy! If standing and walking is hard do this you will get a lot from it and I got this of MFP from another person. I dancercized from September to June with online videos but I stayed sitting down. The arms can do you good burning calories and getting your heart up. Eventually I started to stand and while I never could do the foot moves do to bad mobility it helped and pushed me to where I could go to the gym where there were recumbant bikes and lots of support. I use The Fitness Marshall videos online, he is free and he i really entertaining so it's not so boring.

I know you really shouldn't weigh but once a week but I needed confirmation I was doing something right. I weighed daily and I am NOT telling you to do this. However if you do it and obsessive like me then use this program. Everytime I stalled or didn't get the results I wanted I thought I was done forever. This program let me see exactly how your body fluctuates and gives you a better guage if your going down or if the upturn is real of just that days stress and water on your body.

Hope some of this helps. I wish you all the luck a person can give and I'm from Indiana.

http://www.myweightracker.com/home
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    I do as much as i can in a run of a day and try to push to do a bit more every day seems i can do a little bit more most days.

This is the amazing human body. I am always so pleased with how quickly things improve if I stick to it.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I do as much as i can in a run of a day and try to push to do a bit more every day seems i can do a little bit more most days.

YES!! A little bit more

stick with your calorie intake and it will work - IS working!

All the best man
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Of course! Small improvements daily snowball into great progress!
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

So good to hear bj. It is wonderful that so many people are following your progress from all over the world.

Best wishes from Park City, Utah.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

That's how you do it.

Small changes = dramatic impact over time.

Big changes = short lived and rarely amount to long term improvements.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Cheering you on, from North East England.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    To day is a bit of a bad day ... this year really but today is not a good one my bothers cat died to day the cat dint really like me but that's is a different story its sad to see a family member go (yes a pet is part of them family).

Don't eat those sad feelings. Do something nice in remembrance.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your brother's cat. The are part of the family. Three of my babies (I had six(!) cats) died in an 18 month time span. I felt like I never stopped crying. Your family has my sincere sympathy.

If you must eat your feelings, limit it to only today, and log it as best as you can. One day won't do much damage, but it is easy to fall back into old patterns, especially when grief is involved.
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Cant eat my feeling mostly because there nothing to really eat
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    To day is a bit of a bad day ... this year really but today is not a good one my bothers cat died to day the cat dint really like me but that's is a different story its sad to see a family member go (yes a pet is part of them family).

I'm sorry to hear that. I believe pets are family as well and it is hard when they pass. My condolences to you and your family. I'm sure that kitty lived a happy and fulfilled life. ❤
  • batters1964
    batters1964 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to hear that your brother's cat died.

Cheering you on here too, from London