October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @shanaber We don't root for ASU in our house. :D BF went to U of A. I am a Badgers fan for college (I'm from WI).

So @RunsOnEspresso - are you a Packers fan?? I have been one for many years. My college roommate's bf went on to play for the Packers and is in the hall of fame there. We have been to several games at Lambeau and to Minnesota to see them beat the Vikings as well :). The Minnesota trip was with friends from ND who are huge MN fans! I have never been in a noisier stadium but it got very quiet when the Packers took the lead!
  • shanaber
    edited October 2017
    Options
    W8D2 complete! Same run as Monday but this one felt so much better! I still run slower than slow, but the time passed much faster this time. I grabbed the handles on the treadmill every now and then to check my heart rate (I don't have a heart rate monitor) and I only got up to the upper 180's instead of the 190's. (Have I mentioned I'm horribly out of shape?)

You guys. This run felt so good. Like I'm still a sweaty mess, but it felt so good.

Muahahahaha... she has become ONE OF US

Hahahaha... Hello, my name is ... and I am addicted to running :smiley:
  • shanaber
    Options
    Didn't get out for a walk as planned for my active rest day but I did get a good workout at the gym. Worked with my trainer on my sore quads along with lots of arms, shoulders and core tonight! Also drove through the fire area (mostly to get around the traffic from the road closures) and was amazed at how close it came to the gym (across the street), how it devastated one of my favorite regional parks (completely gone) and how close it came to the surrounding homes but did not burn any - amazing and a testament to all of the firefighters!! The regional park was one I would go to with Hobbes to let him run wild while I ran some really brutal hills... hopefully maybe it will come back on it's own as it really wasn't 'manicured' by any means.

I am hoping for a run tomorrow and of course the melanoma (S.P.A.M.) run on Saturday. Then Sunday I head off on a business trip for the week... It is going to be tough hitting my goal this month
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    W8D2 complete! Same run as Monday but this one felt so much better! I still run slower than slow, but the time passed much faster this time. I grabbed the handles on the treadmill every now and then to check my heart rate (I don't have a heart rate monitor) and I only got up to the upper 180's instead of the 190's. (Have I mentioned I'm horribly out of shape?)

You guys. This run felt so good. Like I'm still a sweaty mess, but it felt so good.

Muahahahaha... she has become ONE OF US

We caught another one!!!

Running- the Hotel California of exercise.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    10/01 - Rest
    10/02 - 10 miles Z2
    10/03 - 9 miles easy Z2 in the heat
    10/04 - Strength + 7 miles Z3/4
    10/05 - Strength + 6 miles Z2 in the rain
    10/06 - 11 Miles Z2
    10/07 - 16 Miles Z2
    10/08 - Rest
    10/09 - 9 Miles Z2
    10/10 - 10.5 miles Z2
    10/11 - Strength + 6.25 miles Z2
    10/12 - Strength + 7 Miles

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km
    10/14/2017 - HAWAIIANS LOVE S.P.A.M. (Skin Protection Against Melanoma)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Did not get to post yesterday, but did run a little. :)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Going to do my Hawaiians love SPAM run at some point this weekend! I think after one of my cycles or maybe I could do it after work!

10/1 - 33 miles cycling; 1 mile run
    10/2 - rest day
    10/3 - 5.6 miles - birthday run!
    10/4 - strength training
    10/5 - 3.5 cut short by rain.
    10/6 - strength training
    10/7 - 44 miles cycling
    10/8 - 45 miles cycling
    10/9 - 4 miles
    10/10 - strength training
    10/11 - 4 miles
    10/12 - Strength training - tabatas - push ups/pull ups/sit ups and wall squats
    10/13 - rest day

exercise.png

AIM at Melanoma 5k -- virtual participant - 10/14
    NYC Central Park - Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K - 11/4
    I/ITSEC 5K in Orlando - 11/29
    Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    10/1-6.2 miles 1270 Feet Elevation
    10/2- REST
    10/3- 9
    10/4- 7
    10//5- 9
    10/6- 5
    10/7- 15
    10/8- 5- Felt like being lazy
    10/9- REST
    10/10- 5
    10/11- 5
    10/12- 5
    10/13- 5

Total Miles: 76.2
    Total Elevation: 1270

October goal: Survive 100k training taper and Wild Duluth 100k
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Woke up, got in my 5 miles, nothing special except, the fact that I really was kind of asleep for half the run.

Last "long" run before Wild duluth is tomorrow. Looking at 3 hours on the Superior Hiking Trail with the guy who will be my pacer next week. This is going to be a relaxed, get to know you kind of run, looking at 10-12 miles total.

Have a runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Obsurd Friday humor from Mark Remy.

https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/2015/11/10/my-large-penis-makes-running-a-real-challenge

My stomach still hates me. Guess there'll be no run for me today (except to the potty every hour), and I'll go beg the doc for drugs and load up on Gatorade. I had several wierd dreams involving stomach pain. One was running from a gang, another was my mother repeatedly hitting me in the stomach, and another was trying to poop in public in a box. Figure those out Freud.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Tomorrow I have TWO races, again heh. The Stop, Drop and Run 5k Obstacle race:

http://monacafire.com/5k/obstacles/

I hope my anti-T-Rex training will pay off! :smiley:

And I am in this! :
    shanaber wrote: »
    I just wanted to mention one last time that many of us are participating (virtually) in the AIM for the CURE Melanoma Walk/Run this Saturday to increase awareness and support research for the CURE. This is in support of our own @HonuNui and in memoriam of her son, Steve, who lost his battle with melanoma earlier this year. Steve helped his mom plan the race and designed the medal (Hawaiians love S.P.A.M. Skin Protection Against Melanoma). I know it is too late to register for the race and get a t-shirt and medal but please consider running this weekend in his honor and of course wear your sunscreen! Our MFP team set out to raise $500 and have raised $1465!! If you wish to donate I believe you still can - https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017/mfpmonthlyrunningchallenge

I probably should take today as a rest day, but probably do 8-10 miles instead.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/2015/11/10/my-large-penis-makes-running-a-real-challenge

My stomach still hates me. Guess there'll be no run for me today (except to the potty every hour), and I'll go beg the doc for drugs and load up on Gatorade. I had several wierd dreams involving stomach pain. One was running from a gang, another was my mother repeatedly hitting me in the stomach, and another was trying to poop in public in a box. Figure those out Freud.

Easy: Your Mom was punishing you for being involved in gang violence and well when nature calls, nature calls! ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Easy: Your Mom was punishing you for being involved in gang violence and well when nature calls, nature calls! ;)

I did interpret that differently. First not being accepted or understood by my peers and sensing hostility. Two, my mother being the same - selfish, unaccepting and unsupportive. And public humiliation when vulnerable. And my tummy hurt which made my brain try to explain it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I am. Oh, that is cool! I have been to Lambeau once. It's always a good day when they beat the Vikings. I grew up on the boarder so knew a lot of Viking fans growing up.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I am. Oh, that is cool! I have been to Lambeau once. It's always a good day when they beat the Vikings. I grew up on the boarder so knew a lot of Viking fans growing up.

Catching a game at Lambeau is on my bucket list. I'm English and back in the 80s when Channel 4 started showing NFL games, I picked the Packers as 'my' team.

Of course I now live in New England which makes me a Pats fan by default. But I'll always be a Packers gal, and I'd choose Rogers over Brady any day of the week.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Catching a game at Lambeau is on my bucket list. I'm English and back in the 80s when Channel 4 started showing NFL games, I picked the Packers as 'my' team.

Of course I now live in New England which makes me a Pats fan by default. But I'll always be a Packers gal, and I'd choose Rogers over Brady any day of the week.

I'm a Chicago Bears fan, but I love me some Aaron Rodgers. Rawr.
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[\img]
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training
    10/3 = rest day
    10/4 = 8 miles
    10/5 = 6.5 easy miles and strength training
    10/6 = kettlebell workout
    10/7 = 7 miles
    10/8 = 16 miles
    10/9 = 8 miles
    10/10 = Vinyasa yoga class & 5.5 mile hike
    10/11 = 8.5 miles
    10/12 = rest day (because of stupid work crap)
    10/13 = 7.5 miles and 30 minutes of weights at the gym

AND...its a high of 90 degrees again today (with 100% humidity this morning). I want to move somewhere the weather is eternally a high of 75 and lows in the 50s. Does such a place exist?

Edited to add: Side running note, I have been having crazy cravings for bananas lately. I am up to 2 a day with an additional dessert of the dole dark chocolate covered frozen banana slices. I used to HATE bananas until 2 months ago. Now I can't get enough of them. Lack of potassium / electrolyte thing?

88/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

There is not chance of me catching up to yall's awesome posts - close to 200 new messages! I have been mia and not running :s for 5 days, so today I finally got a much needed run outside to let off steam. A little behind on getting my monthly goal, but I believe I can make up for this rough week. Will try to catch up with this forum tonight.

Goal: 135 miles
    Total: 51 miles

10/13 - 7.1 miles around the neighborhood lake, chilly and drizzling out.
    Next race - October 22 Gettysburg Blue-Gray Half Marathon