Diet soda

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    run2brazil wrote: »

Severity: I've run half marathons with her and she seeks out diet soda at the finish line instead of water.
    There's a word for that. It's sandwiched in the dictionary, right in between the two words that surround the word "addiction".

I assure you, that if I've just run 13 miles, I'm going to be drinking something other than water, sports drinks are better than diet coke, but diet coke is better than water.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Again, @JillianRumrill, keep reading...

I'm illiterate LOL

• JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options

So you deliberately made yourself afraid of something that is not harmful? Makes sense.

why do you choose to take me seriously?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

So you deliberately made yourself afraid of something that is not harmful? Makes sense.

Because MFP is serious business. >:)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

It took me a minute to realize what you are.

giphy.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »

Severity: I've run half marathons with her and she seeks out diet soda at the finish line instead of water.
    There's a word for that. It's sandwiched in the dictionary, right in between the two words that surround the word "addiction".

I assure you, that if I've just run 13 miles, I'm going to be drinking something other than water, sports drinks are better than diet coke, but diet coke is better than water.

You are really claiming that soda (diet or regular) is better for rehydration than water after a long run? Where in the world did you come up with this?

Diet soda is 99% water...so yeah...at LEAST as good from a hydration standpoint.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In conclusion, there are scientific studies going all directions about soda...

No, actually, there aren't. There are a lot of studies that are misreported. The misreporting states that diet soda is harmful - when the actual studies don't state that at all.

So you can say with 100% confidence, you’ve seen every study ever done on the use of “soda” and furthermore that every single one of those studies showed no negative consequences???? Serious question?

Every single one? No. Off the top of my head, I'd say probably somewhere about 20 or so. And the handful that I've seen used as "evidence" of harm? Either state the opposite (that artificial sweeteners are safe for human consumption) or make no statement in either way, although the data suggests that they are not harmful.

Now, my turn for a serious question: why are you so hell-bent on white-knighting this?

Oh, I know one that said they're bad. The one where they fed rats that get cancer from being looked at the wrong way an ungodly amount for their entire adult life that is laughed out of the house when mentioned among scientists (apparently).

Oh and ironically, the rat group that got an amount of aspartame that was more in line with normal intakes got less cancer than the group that got none at all but that doesn't even get mentioned in the "study", lol.

You're right. I had forgotten about that one, as the conclusions were so completely opposite the data that it's basically been ignored by anyone that actually read it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »

You are really claiming that soda (diet or regular) is better for rehydration than water after a long run? Where in the world did you come up with this?

No, he said that he would choose it as a matter of personal preference.

One advantage that I can think of for drinking soda (regular, not diet) would be replenishment of energy stores - glycogen - that were depleted by the run.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

It took me a minute to realize what you are.

giphy.gif

Breeze?
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options

For once, my one-armed-hand-standing friend and I agree, 13 miles? Where's my beer?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

There's a reason they have so many beer trucks at organized races.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you do a long run where you are sweating like crazy and then at the end of the run you drink a bunch of deionized water (ultra-purified) for some reason then yeah that'd be not good for you. But most water you get isn't deionized, it has sodium in it and at a level that is pretty comparable to soda. At least that is the case with tap water.

That said I do agree that if you are buying some purified water that has no ions in it that you probably would be better off drinking something with electrolytes in it than that and if the only other choice was soda that that might actually be the better choice. But that is sort of a ridiculous scenario. Drink some milk or something that has calories and electrolytes and water if you really want to be a perfectionist about it.

Basically when you sweat you are losing a lot of salt. Your body wants to keep a specific ionic strength in all your bodily fluids so if you are low on sodium or ions in general your body will flush water to regain that balance. If with low sodium you then attempt to drink water that has no ions in it your body is going to basically just flush that out of you without absorbing it as a means of attempting to not further dilute the sodium.

But seriously if that is an issue for you just have a little salt packet and add some to your water.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Wow people. I'm not talking my aunt into anything at all. She struggles with this, and she wants advice as to how she can cut down and stop drinking it. So, I asked for tips for her. You guys have really gotten carried away here.

And in what dictionary does "support" mean "healthy debate?"

So why does your aunt want to cut down her diet soda consumption? If it is because the various reasons that have been refuted here such as aspartame causes cancer so it will worsen her's or increase risk of recurrence, or is toxic, or is in itself unhealthy, then she can rest assured it does none of that. She does not need to cut it out and it is pretty much neutral in terms of health. If she wants to cut back because it is standing in the way of consuming something that does have an effect on health, well that is another story.