Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I can't get that Laughing Cow to melt properly to save my life. Usually I burn it.

Yeah, you've really got to mash it around in things and play with it. I had trouble with it too.

I just cut it into small pieces and mix it around. I usually end up with almost melted cheesy pockets.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2017
    I just found this thread and I'm so happy. I feel like I'm part of high volume eaters anonymous. At least it's therapuetic for me since I've always felt guilty about my big *kitten* salad every night! I seriously fill a mixing bowl full of mixed greens, will massage dressing ( measured) add tons of veggies, sunflower seeds, avocado, tofu or tempeh and it's under 400 cal but it's huge. I was always second-guessing myself. But, I was wondering if I was stretching my stomach by having so much volume? I still have to read each comment to see if that's been addressed? I eat this after my run and it's so comforting plus I'm starving by then. :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    tonight I wanted some unsweetened apple sauce but there wasn't much left, just 148g, so I mixed 148g of kirkland non fat plain greek yogurt & 4 Tbl of cool whip & a little cinnamon . made a big bowl for 188 cal. It was my after dinner snack
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    I do this. I’ve eaten this way for a few years and it has made it very easy to stay trim. I try to get the most nutrition (especially fiber) per calorie. It’s normal for me to eat a whole bag of brussel sprouts for lunch.

I’m back bc I’ve been drinking too much wine and getting lazy (I have to stay in top shape bc of my job), :P
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    ColetteM6 wrote: »
    Spaghetti squash is my new favorite volume food.

What's your favorite recipes to make with your spaghetti squash?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Love your <3<3 plates! I have no idea what Kuri squash, Savoy cabbage or Hake fish are, but it looks yummy.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Pretty proud of myself. I often have a big container of homemade pico de guillo in the fridge, since my son loves it with tortilla chips. I didn’t want it to go bad, but I don’t want the calories in chips. I went ahead and added half an avocado, a tbsp of sour cream, and two crushed tortilla chips to a bowl of pico de guillo and it made great lettuce wraps. :)
  • CoriAPearson
    CoriAPearson Posts: 4 Member
    I like the salad kits from Taylor Farms (like today I had the asian one) but I only use 2 Tbsp of the dressing and just a little of the salad "bling" (tortilla strips)....then I add a can of tuna or chicken (usually 1 cup) and that ends up being around 400 calories....but a lot of food.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    crazyravr wrote: »
    maisiba wrote: »
    Made another big plate for dinner. Lots of roasted veggies with some fish for extra protein.

9bFDRrd.jpg

bPKi4Ec.jpg

Ingredients:
    277 g Hokkaido squash (Red kuri squash)
    287 g Brussels sprouts
    183 g Cauliflower
    253 g Savoy cabbage
    10 ml olive oil (I spray the veggies with it for roasting; you need very little oil that way)
    105 g fish (hake) in lemon garlic sauce (frozen and ready to be made in the oven)
    Salt, pepper, some paprika & parsley

It came in at exactly 500 kcal according to my MFP (does it make anyone else also feel a bit like a fraud if numbers end up being round numbers, like you cheated?). A bit more than usual but it was worth it. :smile: Had never tried roasting savoy cabbage before but it worked great. I wanted to put the fish on the side for the picture but the plate was so full with all the veggies that I had to put it on top.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan that would fill me up twice and OMFG the gas the next day lol :)

:D.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    For those that volume eat greek yogurt in here how long is it good for past the expiration date?

I bought some at the Grocery Outlet the other day that expired October 14th, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Greek yogurt for $1.77 a container! If it's good for a few weeks after expiration I might go back & buy a few more containers.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    I like the salad kits from Taylor Farms (like today I had the asian one) but I only use 2 Tbsp of the dressing and just a little of the salad "bling" (tortilla strips)....then I add a can of tuna or chicken (usually 1 cup) and that ends up being around 400 calories....but a lot of food.

Do you have an Aldis nearby? If you do check there to find some even cheaper salad kits.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Kelly, I'd open that container and check out how it looks and smells and decide from there about buying more. I know some people don't pay much attention to expiration dates, but i usually do...especially for stuff like dairy. I actually got a big tub of Greek yogurt the other day for .99!! It was dated for that day. I decided to take the chance... and it was fine. Looked, smelled, and tasted fine..and I'm still alive. :p
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I always buy expired yogurt. Fage 0 is $6 a container if it's not expired. $3 if it is. As long as it's sealed when I buy it, it's fine.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Kelly, I'd open that container and check out how it looks and smells and decide from there about buying more. I know some people don't pay much attention to expiration dates, but i usually do...especially for stuff like dairy. I actually got a big tub of Greek yogurt the other day for .99!! It was dated for that day. I decided to take the chance... and it was fine. Looked, smelled, and tasted fine..and I'm still alive. :p

:D

So far it still smells & tastes good, so I might chance it & buy 4-5 more.
  • reslermomma
    reslermomma Posts: 7 Member
    I have gotten so many great ideas from this thread. Thank you to everyone who shared their recipes!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I've eaten 3wk expired Greek yogurt and it's fine
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    edited October 2017
    I need to start doing this! I normally eat one meal a day (dinner), and I get all of my daily calories within that one meal. If I eat any other way, I never feel full. I don't eat lower calorie foods though, but because I'm getting it all in one go, it's still a lot of volume. I don't think one meal a day is good for your insulin though, so maybe if I start breaking it up into hugeass salads and other good looking things from this thread, I could still feel full while spreading out the food intake a bit.