All Calories are not created equal!

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    jpaulparis wrote: »
    Aren't you the same person espousing 800 cals a day? No matter what you eat, you're going to lose on 800 cals a day. Eat 800 calories of twinkies if you want. It doesn't make it healthy.

If it's not how many calories you eat, but what you eat, why starve yourself at 800 calories per day? Why not eat whatever you want of the "good" calories and lose away?

Also, by the logic that if you eat the good ones you will lose, how come people who don't need to lose and only eat the "good" calories don't slowly starve to death? Or do they have to add some "bad" to maintain?

Please eat 800 calories of twinkies for even a week.... guarantee you'll gain... and be pre diabetic.

How much are you willing to bet? I've got some student loans that need paying and I could use the easy money.

I'm half tempted to game on this, except Twinkies are hard to get and damn expensive over here.

I couldn't do it, I don't particularly like Twinkies. But with all this talk about them, I'm probably going to have to go get one if only to remind myself why I don't like them. #cakeculture

I don't like them either, they coat my mouth with ick. But I'm stubborn and a bit of an a'hole, so if it wouldn't cost a bomb, I'd give it a go, just to make the point.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    jpaulparis wrote: »
    Aren't you the same person espousing 800 cals a day? No matter what you eat, you're going to lose on 800 cals a day. Eat 800 calories of twinkies if you want. It doesn't make it healthy.

If it's not how many calories you eat, but what you eat, why starve yourself at 800 calories per day? Why not eat whatever you want of the "good" calories and lose away?

Also, by the logic that if you eat the good ones you will lose, how come people who don't need to lose and only eat the "good" calories don't slowly starve to death? Or do they have to add some "bad" to maintain?

Please eat 800 calories of twinkies for even a week.... guarantee you'll gain... and be pre diabetic.

I would be miserable eating 800 calories of twinkies for a week, but I would lose weight. If you mean 800 total for the week I would be even more miserable. If it was 800 a day, a little less miserable, but would still lose weight. At the end of it I would likely hate twinkies though.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is a very thoughtful post. It’s sound advice for eating guidelines, if calorie counting isn’t possible, but it does look like you confused “calorie” and “nutrition.” It’s a good way to eat low calorie, filling foods, without counting calories, but no matter what you are eating, calories ultimatly determine weight loss; not nutrition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the commenting on here is making my afternoon fly by, Thank you!

Secondly, Veterans, how do you not lose your ever loving minds with the almost daily repeats of this crap? I've only really been on the forums since this time last year and I've had to take breaks, and that was just from READING posts, not replying.

/Salute!

Thirdly,
    Personally for me, it's because I hear some form of it everyday at the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    That's crazy talk. My diet consists almost entirely of carbs, and I'm losing weight. I'm eating between 1500 and 1900 calories a day of all the carbs too.... And absolutely zero meats at all (or cheese, milk, yogurt) And I'm not hungry...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Wrenranae wrote: »
    It is not HOW MANY calories you consume per day BUT what they consist of.

For weight loss probably not, for heath probably so...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Wrenranae wrote: »
    It is not HOW MANY calories you consume per day BUT what they consist of.

For weight loss probably not, for heath probably so...

Sort of.

Overeating on a nutrient-dense diet (which I did) might (or might not) be healthier than overeating on a very poor diet. I think it probably is a little healthier, but eh. Fact is that however you get fat, it's unhealthy to be fat. Was it healthier for me to be fat eating lots of vegetables, a balanced (if excessive) diet, lots of home-cooked foods and no fast food and not a whole lot of sweets (not my thing) vs. someone who is not fat but eats the SAD? IMO, probably not. If you add in that I, in this hypothetical, am sedentary, and the thin person who eats the SAD is active, well, I'd say the thin person definitely would be healthier.

Now, is WHAT the calories consist of ALSO important, not merely how many, if we are talking about health? Sure, a healthy diet is better than an unhealthy one (although a healthy one can include some foods that don't contribute much in the way of micronutrients, if it is otherwise adequate).

I don't think you and I actually disagree on any of this, but this was just a good place to tag on my thoughts. ;-)