Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I really have to try Diet A&W. Its highly promoted. So it's either really good or a lot of people work for them, :). Either way, I am down.

It's very good
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I really have to try Diet A&W. Its highly promoted. So it's either really good or a lot of people work for them, :). Either way, I am down.

Fun fact: I recently got hooked on it by accident. I was so sure I'd hate it. In fact I do not. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and regular. Maybe the flavors are strong enough to cover up the taste of the sweeteners.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Diet Dr Pepper is also great. And if Dr Pepper wants to sponsor me, I am totally down for it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I miss Mr Pibb.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    They are not great for you. Aspartame, the artificial sweetener is really bad for you over time. Definitely do some research on that. As for your diet, they will only satisfy your craving for sugar, not curb it. You will still crave sugar because your body will still register that artificial sweetener as the real deal. I only allow myself to have a diet soda like once a month because its just better to go with unsweetened tea, water, or powerade zero.

Good luck!

Rebecca

I drink diet soda daily and have not craved sugar in well over a year. I would be questioning your beliefs as they are kinda wrong as a blanket statement.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I read that Zevia brand sodas are a good sub for "diet" sodas. Still 0 calories but without the chemicals and supposedly cancer-causing sweeteners. Honestly, your best bet if you're into the whole chemical-avoidance thing is water.

Sweeteners don't cause cancer. And hell, the only rats that got cancers were feed the equivalent of half their BW in aspartame.

Not aspartame, it was the original artificial sweetener, saccharine.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    shadow2450 wrote: »
    If your a soda addict, diet soda is a good temporary remedy although I wouldnt trust it with the ingredients it contains. Sparkling water is a good way to go, especially if your a soda dependent hoping to quit it. May taste like crap at first but it's varied adjustment.

So you haven't bothered to read through the thread and the links to the scientific studies showing that there is nothing scary about the ingredients in diet soda?

That would require reading.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    In my quest to not only lose weight but to gain better health they are an item I have deleted, partly because of heart disease rampant in my family so I carefully watch sodium intake and all diet soda contains sodium. I have switched to flavored sparkling waters instead. There are many flavors and lots that are sodium free so it works when I have a craving for something bubbly. As for the alcohol, sadly that is another item I have deleted as I have had previous issues with portion control. Plus I realized that when I drink it seems to stall my weight loss even if it is within my calories that day, something about the alcohol just keeps my body hanging onto that weight so it has just been better for me to give it up to save my sanity each week when I get on the scale.

I guess you didn't take the time to read all the posts ahead of yours where this was covered?? sodium in regular soda and diet soda is barely more than that in water and the same/less than in milk. do you stay away from water and milk because of the sodium as well???
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that people still argue about this. *sips Diet Coke*
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Diet Dr Pepper is also great. And if Dr Pepper wants to sponsor me, I am totally down for it.

Diet Dr Pepper is really, really, really great. I wish I could find the decaffeinated version near me. I don't drink the regular version that often because caffeine and I don't get along well these days.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    shadow2450 wrote: »
    If your a soda addict, diet soda is a good temporary remedy although I wouldnt trust it with the ingredients it contains. Sparkling water is a good way to go, especially if your a soda dependent hoping to quit it. May taste like crap at first but it's varied adjustment.

So you haven't bothered to read through the thread and the links to the scientific studies showing that there is nothing scary about the ingredients in diet soda?

That would require reading.

And opening up to the possibility that they might be incorrect.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I read that Zevia brand sodas are a good sub for "diet" sodas. Still 0 calories but without the chemicals and supposedly cancer-causing sweeteners. Honestly, your best bet if you're into the whole chemical-avoidance thing is water.

Sweeteners don't cause cancer. And hell, the only rats that got cancers were feed the equivalent of half their BW in aspartame.

Not aspartame, it was the original artificial sweetener, saccharine.

Saccharine started to get a bad rap in the 1970's because of a rat study. It's now been shown that the cancer scare is to rats, not humans. Ref: National Cancer Institute

Aspartame came to market in the early 1980's. Ref: Cancer.org The controversial rat study for Aspartame was done in 2007. Ref: Aspartame: A safety evaluation...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    In my quest to not only lose weight but to gain better health they are an item I have deleted, partly because of heart disease rampant in my family so I carefully watch sodium intake and all diet soda contains sodium. I have switched to flavored sparkling waters instead. There are many flavors and lots that are sodium free so it works when I have a craving for something bubbly. As for the alcohol, sadly that is another item I have deleted as I have had previous issues with portion control. Plus I realized that when I drink it seems to stall my weight loss even if it is within my calories that day, something about the alcohol just keeps my body hanging onto that weight so it has just been better for me to give it up to save my sanity each week when I get on the scale.

Almost all beverages contains sodium. Soda contains sodium at about the same amount as tap water does. Diet soda has slightly more but only slightly, but it has about 10 times less in it than something like milk. I am really not sure where people got in their head that soda is high in sodium, I mean just look at the ingredient label and then look at the ingredient label for other drinks then compare that to the relatively huge amount you'd get from many different foods. You get something like 35mg of sodium from a diet coke but 1440mg from a can of black beans. I mean the RDA for sodium is in the range of 3500 mg per day which is 100 times what you'd get from one diet soda.

I mean if you are avoiding sodium for medical reasons I suppose it makes sense in that you don't NEED soda and if soda adds to your sodium content sure. That said its a weird thing to specifically avoid given the low content and I am surprised your doctor suggested you avoid it . But don't just assume if you substitute something else for soda (even tap water) that you are really decreasing your sodium intake by that much. It sounds like you personally have done that by seeking out a bubbly water that at least doesn't list sodium in it (hard to believe it doesn't have any though given that it is almost certainly made from tap water) I'm just talking in general. I see the idea that soda has "tons of sodium" bandied about a lot and it really doesn't.