• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I mean I’m sure it’s not great for you. I drink a diet Dr Pepper every day. I just like to and it has no calories.

Why are you sure it's not great for you?

possibly because there is no nutritional value associated with diet soda????

But being zero calorie, doesn't that just make it neutral? Why would it be 'not great' if it has zero impact on a person.

Using your same train of thought, how it can be “great” if it has no impact?

I also am not going to say it has “no impact” on a person, because I haven’t done research on this. Dark soda does stain my teeth. So there. Not great.

To me, saying something is 'not great for me' implies that has a deleterious effect. And my train of thought led me to the conclusion that diet soda is neutral, neither great or not great. Never once did I say it was great, so I'm not sure where you are getting that.

I'm sorry soda stains your teeth. Do you also not drink wine, coffee or juice? I've found that brushing my teeth helps keep them clean.

You just like to argue. Over my use of the term “not great.” Ridiculous.

And wow, thanks for the advice.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I mean I’m sure it’s not great for you. I drink a diet Dr Pepper every day. I just like to and it has no calories.

But being zero calorie, doesn't that just make it neutral? Why would it be 'not great' if it has zero impact on a person.

Using your same train of thought, how it can be “great” if it has no impact?

I also am not going to say it has “no impact” on a person, because I haven’t done research on this. Dark soda does stain my teeth. So there. Not great.

To me, saying something is 'not great for me' implies that has a deleterious effect. And my train of thought led me to the conclusion that diet soda is neutral, neither great or not great. Never once did I say it was great, so I'm not sure where you are getting that.

I'm sorry soda stains your teeth. Do you also not drink wine, coffee or juice? I've found that brushing my teeth helps keep them clean.

You just like to argue. Over my use of the term “not great.” Ridiculous.

And wow, thanks for the advice.

You're welcome!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    You are right im relating the two. My other post was saying sugars, i include them together Sugars/Sweetners) shouldn't but i do. Neither one are probably at all related sugar, aspartame and my personal fat loss but because it happened its kept me continuing what i'm doing. Just an interesting read below:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

The problem with that study is that it is based on correlation and cannot point a finger at the artificial sweetners as the cause of the weight gain.
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    Ok...I hear that Diet Sodas are bad for you. But are they as bad for you as regular sodas? Is one a day OK? Would I be better off having a glass of dry wine? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I would choose the wine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, this.

I understand "not great for you" to mean "bad for you," at least as it's normally used in the US, and I don't think diet soda is bad for you.

Does it have amazing health benefits? Well, not particularly, but who said it did? That's hardly my standard about what is required for anything I will consume. I don't think coffee has amazing health benefits, or homemade iced tea (I don't sweeten it, because I think sweet tea is icky) -- at least not unless one otherwise would be dehydrated -- but I consume them because I enjoy them. Same with the occasional diet coke.

I am from North America myself and not great to me doesn't mean bad...it means it's not great...that could mean it's good, neutral, bad...

you get to choose how you take it.

If you choose to take it as a negative that's how you choose to take it.

Diet soda is neither great, good nor bad...it is quite neutral as far as most peoples health and weight loss goes...
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    I quit drinking diet soda because my husband and I would go through 6 12 pks a week and it was expensive. It was all I drank and it's not bad for you imo, but the amount I drank made me personally feel like crap I've come to realize. Since I quit, I'm less bloated, have no sugar cravings, and no longer have this weird back ache in the kidney area. I did change other things around the same time, so I can't attribute all that to no longer drinking the equivalent of 1.5 two liters a day of Diet Coke, but I think my body is happier? Eh, just my n=1. I want to stress the only reason we stopped was financial and not because I think it's bad. I still use Equal as my artificial sweetener of choice, so it definitely wasn't the aspartame people like to blacklist.

Now I drink black coffee in the am, water until after lunch, then I'll have one Coke zero, and then it's unsweet iced tea with a little bit of equal till bed. I just brought in the Coke zero this week because I miss the fizz and hate/detest stuff like LaCroix. So far no detrimental effects and I treat it as an afternoon treat with no calories. After a month off the stuff, I've come to prefer iced tea, which is easy to make and way cheaper.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Ok...I hear that Diet Sodas are bad for you. But are they as bad for you as regular sodas? Is one a day OK? Would I be better off having a glass of dry wine? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I would choose the wine.

The wine has calories, the diet soda doesn't. I don't see it as an either/or. It's like asking if I should choose wine or water . . . clearly one can consume both in the same day.
  • rawfruitvegH20
    rawfruitvegH20 Posts: 24 Member
    Ima T2 diabetic and drink bottled water 6 times a day...coffee w cream to wake up and one diet cola clear ( sprite or 7up or squirt) the dark diet colas give me kidney stones here in AZ we are hot n thirsty and have a high kidney stone rate..so i switched this year to clear crisp clear diet lemon soda it taste great its once a day and at 65 i grew up with those EVILLLLL Saccharine tablets in early 50s LOL i had cancer from age 13 but it was due to a synthetic estrogen ..given to my Mom and me in utero...long story short drink the diet if you can not have the carbs drink the cola if you can do the carbs 40 a can.. drink lots of flavored water low salt low carb and just have fun with your meals while your exercising and being healthy... read labels there is more sugar in blasted ketchup and salad dressings then you want to know..
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member

I would choose the wine.

The wine has calories, the diet soda doesn't. I don't see it as an either/or. It's like asking if I should choose wine or water . . . clearly one can consume both in the same day.

Very true! But if I had the choice and i had to drink one. I would fit the Dry Wine into my calories. There lots of arguments above about aspartame positive/neutral/negative. I don't know much about it to be honest and don't know if i'm for or against it. I'm just saying I would choose the wine. If my choice was water or wine well then that gets trickier :smile:. If your comparing Diet Soda to Water though I would assume there would be some differences even though they are both zero calorie.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member

I would choose the wine.

Very true! But if I had the choice and i had to drink one. I would fit the Dry Wine into my calories. There lots of arguments above about aspartame positive/neutral/negative. I don't know much about it to be honest and don't know if i'm for or against it. I'm just saying I would choose the wine. If my choice was water or wine well then that gets trickier :smile:. If your comparing Diet Soda to Water though I would assume there would be some differences even though they are both zero calorie.

That is a curious rationale: avoid diet coke, but bring on the alcohol.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    One diet soda a day is fine. Regular soda has calories with no nutritive value. The studies that showed diet soda to be bad were way too small and not conclusive and honestly can't back up if it is bad for you or not. Check out the Sept. 2017 issue of webmd magazine for a great article about the studies done on diet soda. It is free online
  • janejellyroll

I would choose the wine.

There are a lot of arguments about alcohol too, for what it's worth (not arguing against drinking it, I drink alcohol myself).

There are similarities and differences between water and diet soda. This, in and of itself, doesn't signify anything. There are similarities and differences between my sofa and my bed, but I've got both of them in my house and I use them both.
  • janejellyroll
    sosteach wrote: »
    One diet soda a day is fine. Regular soda has calories with no nutritive value. The studies that showed diet soda to be bad were way too small and not conclusive and honestly can't back up if it is bad for you or not. Check out the Sept. 2017 issue of webmd magazine for a great article about the studies done on diet soda. It is free online

Carbohydrates are macronutrients, so I disagree that regular soda has calories with no nutritive value.

They may not be nutrients that people in the West typically struggle to get (we are blessed with an abundance of options for carbohydrates), but it's energy that my body can use.