Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    I don't drink diet or regular sodas - regular sodas because of the sugar content and diet sodas trigger my migraines unfortunately (well, artificial sweeteners do). Shame because i love diet coke! They are zero calories so won't lead to weight gain... everything in moderation i guess :)

What is your go to beverage of choice?

I drink sparkling water mainly... if i get bored of that i'll just add fresh lemon or lime :) I've got used to it now. (or on a Friday night, gin! haha!)

That's my go-to as well. I love my Soda Stream, and I just add a squirt of lemon or lime juice
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I mean I’m sure it’s not great for you. I drink a diet Dr Pepper every day. I just like to and it has no calories.

Why are you sure it's not great for you?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    I don't drink diet or regular sodas - regular sodas because of the sugar content and diet sodas trigger my migraines unfortunately (well, artificial sweeteners do). Shame because i love diet coke! They are zero calories so won't lead to weight gain... everything in moderation i guess :)

What is your go to beverage of choice?

I drink sparkling water mainly... if i get bored of that i'll just add fresh lemon or lime :) I've got used to it now. (or on a Friday night, gin! haha!)

That's my go-to as well. I love my Soda Stream, and I just add a squirt of lemon or lime juice

I like it plain. I still don't like the taste of diet drinks. I'll have one if I want something sweet, or I'll have a life saver. But I go through a lot of water with my Soda Stream.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I mean I’m sure it’s not great for you. I drink a diet Dr Pepper every day. I just like to and it has no calories.

possibly because there is no nutritional value associated with diet soda????

But being zero calorie, doesn't that just make it neutral? Why would it be 'not great' if it has zero impact on a person.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But being zero calorie, doesn't that just make it neutral? Why would it be 'not great' if it has zero impact on a person.

Yeah, this.

I understand "not great for you" to mean "bad for you," at least as it's normally used in the US, and I don't think diet soda is bad for you.

Does it have amazing health benefits? Well, not particularly, but who said it did? That's hardly my standard about what is required for anything I will consume. I don't think coffee has amazing health benefits, or homemade iced tea (I don't sweeten it, because I think sweet tea is icky) -- at least not unless one otherwise would be dehydrated -- but I consume them because I enjoy them. Same with the occasional diet coke.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Hahaha thats not what i'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that for some reason at the time I gave it up I was lucky enough to have my love handles disappear. Would be awesome if they were scientifically related I'd sign up for that study. Its the reason I haven't had any aspartame since. Just like my fat loss is why I keep my calories in control. If I lost fat drinking tons of diet soda I would be doing that to. If I lost fat eating 5000 calories I would do that. What I'm getting at is experiment with your body see what works and if you like the results decide if you want to continue.

The fact that two events (quitting diet soda and losing fat) happened at the same time doesn't mean they are related. I was travelling to California a lot for work when I began losing weight, but that doesn't mean that going to California causes weight loss.

@janejellyroll he cut out all sugar at the same time apparently but kept all his macros the same (how?).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Hahaha thats not what i'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that for some reason at the time I gave it up I was lucky enough to have my love handles disappear. Would be awesome if they were scientifically related I'd sign up for that study. Its the reason I haven't had any aspartame since. Just like my fat loss is why I keep my calories in control. If I lost fat drinking tons of diet soda I would be doing that to. If I lost fat eating 5000 calories I would do that. What I'm getting at is experiment with your body see what works and if you like the results decide if you want to continue.

The fact that two events (quitting diet soda and losing fat) happened at the same time doesn't mean they are related. I was travelling to California a lot for work when I began losing weight, but that doesn't mean that going to California causes weight loss.

or maybe ... IT DOES! *moves to California*

Believe me, if I could find a job and affordable housing there, I'd be willing to give it a try for science! :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Using your same train of thought, how it can be “great” if it has no impact?

I also am not going to say it has “no impact” on a person, because I haven’t done research on this. Dark soda does stain my teeth. So there. Not great.