• iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    *sips diet coke*
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Cracks me up when people are asking. Where did you hear they were bad for you" ..lol

why does that crack you up? You don't think understanding the source of pseudoscience and misinformation is important in being able to help discuss someone's beliefs and maybe encourage them to do a more thorough job of vetting information?

It cracks me up when people ask the OP where he heard this info...because.....its that kind of misinformation I hear often, on tv, radio, bloggs, you name it. It's all over. It's going to be harder to find peoole telling you its not bad for you..lol

Anyways, no hard feelings. ;)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Considering the volume of threads and amount of posts on said threads for diet coke related matters of late, I would say that there is ample audience out there for a yet another pseudo-health documentary where we can blame diet coke for everything short of the downfall of Western civilization.

Somebody should start a kickstarter or else reach out to a venture capitalist with some bucks to play around with so that we might be able to profit from this.
  • sillyrichie
    sillyrichie Posts: 34 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Aspartame/diet pop isn't harmful. There are so many other threads that discuss this, and discuss it well, so I won't add my flawed explanations here. For me personally, I limit myself to one diet pop (or two single-serve envelopes of Crystal Light that have been extremely watered down) in a day. I do this because for some reason having any more than that consistently increases pain in some joints, but this is a response that I have observed in myself over long periods under a variety of purposely applied conditions. However, for pretty much anyone else - go to town. My mother drinks it like it's water, for example. You do you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    They are not great for you. Aspartame, the artificial sweetener is really bad for you over time. Definitely do some research on that. As for your diet, they will only satisfy your craving for sugar, not curb it. You will still crave sugar because your body will still register that artificial sweetener as the real deal. I only allow myself to have a diet soda like once a month because its just better to go with unsweetened tea, water, or powerade zero.

Good luck!

Rebecca

wait a second, how exactly is your powerade zero any better than a diet soda??

(ingredients:

Water, Citric Acid, Salt And Mono-Potassium Phosphate And Magnesium Chloride And Calcium Chloride (Electrolyte Sources), Natural Flavors, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), Blue 1, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Taste), Calcium Disodium EDTA (To Protect Color).)

It must be better - it doesn't contain shudder - aspartame!

Apparently sucralose and acesulfame-K (both artificial sweeteners themselves) aren't teh poizonzzz like aspartame.
    *scratches head*
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Someone is going ham with the "abuse" flag. Rut roh!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's not "bad" neither is it good. Drinking it daily however isn't something I'd do personally. Looking at the ingredients of most of those drinks there's no need for the body to be constantly full of that.

Given that we're omnivores and capable of meeting our nutritional needs in all kinds of ways, there isn't really a "need" for us to consume any individual item in our diet. Yet we still do consume these things . . .

True, however there's some nutritional benefit from most food items, soda on the other hand... Purely for taste which has it's place.

Water (which makes up the majority of the volume of diet soda) does have benefits for us.

Lol. You're clearly bored so I'll let you win this.

I'm not bored, I just don't understand your position. If you don't want to explain your reasoning, that's fine.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    WOW - I didn't realize my question would get so much feedback. So I guess - just drink when I'm thirsty. Some diet...some water...some tea (unsweet of course)...cup of coffee here and there. Some low cal vodka every now and then..

Meh. I don't drink sugar-sweetened beverages often, but a sweet tea here and there won't hurt.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    WOW - I didn't realize my question would get so much feedback. So I guess - just drink when I'm thirsty. Some diet...some water...some tea (unsweet of course)...cup of coffee here and there. Some low cal vodka every now and then..

I mean if your focus is weight loss then your focus should be on hitting a calorie intake that is lower than your calorie expenditure in a way that you can sustain long term.

What do you do to make sure you can sustain long term?
    1) Make sure you are getting a reasonable amount of nutrition from your food (really shouldn't be hard to do)
    2) Make sure you are satisfied by what you are eating.

Honestly if dropping a particular food means that on a day to day basis you take in 50 calories less but on the whole you are much less satisfied with your meals or how you feel during your day then it really isn't worth it. Enjoyment or at least satisfaction is part of it and if you enjoy having a diet soda now and again or (gasp) a sweet tea...thats okay. Don't punish yourself for being overweight to the point that you end up quitting a couple months in. As long as you are consistent and under your calories the only thing you need to really track is how satisfied you are.

Fretting over beverage types is not really going to help you out long term.

That said I call b.s. on "low calorie vodka" hah
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Just drink diet soda's. It's funny we worry about that, but statistically we are more likely to die from a car crash, yet do you see people stop driving?

Convenience. I'd say there would be a direct correlation between the level of risk we accept and the inconvenience of avoiding it. Probably with a variable factor for the element of moral superiority perceived to be gained by said avoidance.
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OK...well since I've decided to keep drinking a few diet sodas (weekly). Has anyone tried a diet A&W rootbeer....man they are really good.

Maybe when I have a few extra cals I throw in some of that low cal vodka....
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet or regular sodas - regular sodas because of the sugar content and diet sodas trigger my migraines unfortunately (well, artificial sweeteners do). Shame because i love diet coke! They are zero calories so won't lead to weight gain... everything in moderation i guess :)
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet or regular sodas - regular sodas because of the sugar content and diet sodas trigger my migraines unfortunately (well, artificial sweeteners do). Shame because i love diet coke! They are zero calories so won't lead to weight gain... everything in moderation i guess :)

What is your go to beverage of choice?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I mean I’m sure it’s not great for you. I drink a diet Dr Pepper every day. I just like to and it has no calories.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

What is your go to beverage of choice?

I drink sparkling water mainly... if i get bored of that i'll just add fresh lemon or lime :) I've got used to it now. (or on a Friday night, gin! haha!)