October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options

INTERESTING the 735 can, but the 935 cannot? That seems silly. :smiley:

Hm, that is odd. And good to know, so thanks for asking the question. I'll have to try it out. I may be with @Elise4270 though. The vibration is good and I don't usually even have to look as I know what it is telling me. The battery life seems better than stated. I can go for weeks without charging, but I don't know about continuous use of GPS as needed in an ultra.

That weblink may not be 100% current. If you look at the 935 manual, they tell you how to obtain audio prompts at the bottom of page 15.

i.e. "Audio prompts include the lap number and lap time, pace or speed, and ANT+ sensor data."

@PastorVincent - I have a fenix 3 HR sapphire (wifi version), love it, and bought it at 60% discount (ala used and locally via ebay) as someone wanted the latest and greatest fenix 5 and off loaded a 1 yr old device at a real bargain. 935 is essentially the same as fenix series, just a plastic version. Having Wifi is real nice + as it will auto upload your data to Strava, no manual hooking up, etc....which is another plus besides the extra battery life vs the 735. Re battery - I only charge once a week (using GPS feature 5x/week), and typically to be safe, the night before a race. I don't use for text messages - although I can see caller ID, etc.

I use the audio feedback for my pace per mile from my Garmin (if you set up a workout, it will give you verbal feedback based on said interval - i.e. 1 min recovery, .5 Mile, 1 mile, etc)....and in the past (since I run with my phone for music), I would also start runkeeper and it would give me the stats that you set up per interval). Depending on GPS accuracy, runkeeper tends to overestimate most distances but would provide the extra data of current pace, avg pace, time, etc. Garmin also has a function to buzz/beep at you when you go to slow/fast, etc if you are trying to target. I haven't really utilized this feature but might be helpful down the road.

Also, either the 935/Fenix 5 use the latest running dynamic pod that you place in the center of your back on the top of your shorts vs a HRM and has additional running dynamics.

Since I have a Fenix 3, I have their foot pod that will give me only pace, cadence and distance when running indoors...which is nice for 2 reasons:

1) if you are using different treadmills in hotels or gyms, I have found that based on age, use, model, etc they will vary greatly in both speed and/or distance so given the footpod calibrates my stride everytime I run outdoors as it knows my avg stride length on most runs and assuming I am not over/under striding on the treadmill I am generally able to pace and gauge distance more accurately vs setting shown on the treadmill. Garmin says 98% accurate and sounds close enough.

2) I also like the fact that if I use incline on the treadmill (typically 2% to mimic outside running), while 6.5mph is a static speed, depending on the incline you are using, you may be going slower/faster, etc than stated if you were running outside. The benefit of the Garmin footpod is it is effectively measuring your real pace based your efforts as you would clearly need to stride more/faster on an 8% incline vs 1% incline which means you are indeed running faster to maintain that same treadmill pace.....distance will be the same, but effort is clearly different and the footpod helps capture that in terms of what pace you are effectively running vs saying you ran 6.5 miles over 60 minutes. More on that here:

https://www.hillrunner.com/calculators/treadmill-pace-conversions/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I've never even thought of spoken alerts, I'm pretty well used to and trained to just look when my watch buzzes or vibrates..... Pretty sure I'd get confused by an actual spoken audio prompt..... Looking at the 735 vs the 935, the 935 has more data features, and the 735 might be more "accessible" so, maybe they are made for different types of athletes?

I have only ever had spoken alerts... So I do not know any different :smiley:

Back in my runkeeper days, before I got a Garmin, I vaguely remember using them, but I'm so accustomed to my watch now that I think I'd get distracted by them. My current annoyance is that I can't stop my garmin from beeping when it alerts. I prefer just to have vibration. Not going to matter tomorrow thoug, I turned off auto lap for my ultra.

Oh crap really? I do not like that. That'd keep me from getting it. Booo Garmin.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So my Plantronics Bluetooth ear piece went through the washer and dryer and still works! Whew! I need my music while I run ;) I went through a no music phase for awhile but I'm currently wanting music.

Also my carpet cleaning got bumped a week due to the other person's schedule so I will get to run today! Yaya!

Still have a burning sinus headache though.

Love that the headphones still work. We wash a lot of GU packets at our house. Thank goodness they are sealed good.

I have unrelenting sinus pressure too. I'm dizzy today and have to keep reminding myself it's just sinuses not a brain tumor. :anguished::smiley:

I spent the last half of yesterday on the verge of puking every time I stood up. It's crazy. I hope we both get over it!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

I've never even thought of spoken alerts, I'm pretty well used to and trained to just look when my watch buzzes or vibrates..... Pretty sure I'd get confused by an actual spoken audio prompt..... Looking at the 735 vs the 935, the 935 has more data features, and the 735 might be more "accessible" so, maybe they are made for different types of athletes?

Back in my runkeeper days, before I got a Garmin, I vaguely remember using them, but I'm so accustomed to my watch now that I think I'd get distracted by them. My current annoyance is that I can't stop my garmin from beeping when it alerts. I prefer just to have vibration. Not going to matter tomorrow thoug, I turned off auto lap for my ultra.

Oh crap really? I do not like that. That'd keep me from getting it. Booo Garmin.

yeah. I still haven't figured out of there's a way to have vibration only. Only thing I don't like about it
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen AH!

So the problem then becomes if the watch speaks out load, and I have my phone blasting my audiobook via my BT headphones, I will not hear it! heh. Unless Garmin has an iPhone app that will pipe those prompts out the heaphones?
  • kevaasen
    Options

FYI - it is a feature you can turn on or off. i.e. I only get a distance buzz / verbal pace every mile on simple runs. And If using a programmed workout (i.e. 12 x 400 runs with 30 second recoveries - it will buzz/verbal you with a screen shot of what to do next and best news is you don't have to remember/finger count what lap you are on, as you just do what the watch tells you to do....otherwise I might lose track)
  • kevaasen
    Options
    @kevaasen AH!

So the problem then becomes if the watch speaks out load, and I have my phone blasting my audiobook via my BT headphones, I will not hear it! heh. Unless Garmin has an iPhone app that will pipe those prompts out the heaphones?

I only hear the garmin audio via my BT headphones. If you didn't have headphones, then I think it just beeps/buzzes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    @kevaasen AH!

I only hear the garmin audio via my BT headphones. If you didn't have headphones, then I think it just beeps/buzzes.

But are the headphones connected to the watch, or the phone?
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    10/01 - REST
    10/02 - 4m
    10/03 - CROSS // 20 mins mat pilates + walk
    10/04 - 4m
    10/05 - REST
    10/06 - CROSS // 60 mins Bodypump + 5 minute treadmill run
    10/07 - REST
    10/08 - 3.2
    10/09 - 4
    10/10 - CROSS // 20 minutes core/stretching work
    10/11 - 4
    10/12 - REST
    10/13 - CROSS // 30 mins TRX / 20 mins CXWORKS / .3 mile jog with dog
    10/14 - 6
    10/15 - REST
    10/16 - 4.5
    10/17 - 2.2
    10/18 - 4.5
    10/19 - REST
    10/20 - CROSS //30 mins BODYPUMP / 30 mins CXWORKS / 15 mins treadmill

Goal: 50
    MTD: 33.4

Upcoming Races
    10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks
    10/28 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon

Tomorrow's long run is 7 miles. I'm definitely going to re-tackle the route for the 10k next weekend. Also, I hit more than 95lbs lost this morning. I have 5 more to goal to my original goal weight. Might tack on an extra 5 to get to a better racing weight. Regardless, it's a slow process (truly .5lbs per week) in order to manage the runger and stay fueled. It's nice to be in a place where my focus is so much more on fitness milestones and balanced nutrition for optimal running than weight loss ones.

@fitoverfortymom CONGRATS on the loss!! That is awesome. I some day want to be saying the same thing.
  • kevaasen
    Options

yeah. I still haven't figured out of there's a way to have vibration only. Only thing I don't like about it

I believe it is adjusted as follows:
    Hold UP, and select Settings, then System, then Sounds.

I have Key Tones off; Alert Tones "in app". Vibration "on"
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited October 2017
    Options

That's how I have it. Still beeped. I might just be dumb. Not the first time I've been this way

Edit: Got it. Turnig vibration ON and Alert tones to OFF makes it so it only vibrates.
  • kevaasen
    Options
    @kevaasen AH!

But are the headphones connected to the watch, or the phone?

Phone is connected via BT to
    - Headphones
    - Garmin

and my Garmin then connects via BT to my footpod.

Net - I don't believe Garmin is like an apple watch or a devise that you could listen to music, podcasts, etc. So if not having a phone was a goal and you want to listen to music a Garmin would not be your first choice. I believe you can adjust music volume on your watch if you don't want to dig for your phone, etc (but so can most headphones)

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Thanks. Your morale support has been invaluable to me, I greatly appreciate it. Found out today that a guy I know will be helping tun the AS at the turn around, so that'll be cool. With a friend crewing and another teacher pacing me the last 20, I'm looking at great support. Just have to not get struck by lightening and it will be a good day!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen Thanks for the great info. Sounds like my recent foot pod order will be worthwhile!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thank you! I'm very nervous because it is my first marathon. Also, it looks like it might rain for the last 2 hours. Nervous AF over this, but then I have to look forward to the day (someday) when a marathon is nothing because I'm training for 100's and such.

@midwesterner85 I can't wait to hear how it goes. Congrats!
  • kevaasen
    Options

That's how I have it. Still beeped. I might just be dumb. Not the first time I've been this way

maybe Alert Tones - off?

FYI - just testing now, I do get a beep when I start/stop an activity......but that is ok, in turning Alert tones off...then no beep. I have music playing while running so if it is beeping during the verbal alert, I am not hearing it :smiley:
  • kevaasen
    Options

Edit: Got it. Turnig vibration ON and Alert tones to OFF makes it so it only vibrates.

Great....you guys are faster than me on keeping up with the message board. :) Peace out and good luck with your race!!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Thanks. Your morale support has been invaluable to me, I greatly appreciate it. Found out today that a guy I know will be helping tun the AS at the turn around, so that'll be cool. With a friend crewing and another teacher pacing me the last 20, I'm looking at great support. Just have to not get struck by lightening and it will be a good day!

@MNLittleFinn I'll be cheering for you and thinking about you during my measly 5k tomorrow morning in the rain. LOL. I hope not only do you crush your goals, you have a great time doing it. You and @jessicamcb and so many others are awesome inspirations to us slow turtle "runners". Thanks for being here to inspire and share in your goals!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

LOL! My 620 is the same way.