October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @PastorVincent battery life was the real decider for me. I absolutely love my 935. If you ever want to go for LONG ultras the battery life will help. For 100k plus distances, unless you're super fast, the 735 could run out. For reference. If I manage a 15 minute pace tomorrow, I'd run out of battery with a 735. Fast people don't have that problem, so you might be ok....

I is not fast people! :sunglasses:

How far is your race? I lost track... but if I do the 50k race I am thinking of, it is a trail race so my pace will be much slower... maybe 14? That is what 7 hours? Current AppleWatch would never make it that far.

race is 100k, 62.127 miles. I'm HOPING for like 15.5 hours, but reality is any finish before the 18 hour cut off is good. 15.5 hours is 15 minute pace
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training
    10/3 = rest day
    10/4 = 8 miles
    10/5 = 6.5 easy miles and strength training
    10/6 = kettlebell workout
    10/7 = 7 miles
    10/8 = 16 miles
    10/9 = 8 miles
    10/10 = Vinyasa yoga class & 5.5 mile hike
    10/11 = 8.5 miles
    10/12 = rest day (because of stupid work crap)
    10/13 = 7.5 miles and 30 minutes of weights at the gym
    10/14 = 5.5 miles
    10/15 = 17 rainy miles (run/walk intervals with the group)
    10/16 = 8 miles and 20 minutes of strength training
    10/17 = Vinyasa yoga class
    10/18 = 9 miles
    10/19 = 6.5 miles
    10/20 = 7 miles

141/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

INTERESTING the 735 can, but the 935 cannot? That seems silly. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @fitoverfortymom Nice loss!

@cburke8909 I am such a cry baby compared to you! That calf look ominous. I get a niggle and I'm taking a rest day to wah wah over it :smiley:

@midwesterner85 Good luck on your race!!! Take good mental notes for that race report!
  • PastorVincent
    @PastorVincent battery life was the real decider for me. I absolutely love my 935. If you ever want to go for LONG ultras the battery life will help. For 100k plus distances, unless you're super fast, the 735 could run out. For reference. If I manage a 15 minute pace tomorrow, I'd run out of battery with a 735. Fast people don't have that problem, so you might be ok....

How far is your race? I lost track... but if I do the 50k race I am thinking of, it is a trail race so my pace will be much slower... maybe 14? That is what 7 hours? Current AppleWatch would never make it that far.

race is 100k, 62.127 miles. I'm HOPING for like 15.5 hours, but reality is any finish before the 18 hour cut off is good. 15.5 hours is 15 minute pace

Dang. Right now 4 hours of running seems like a really long time. 15... that is just beyond my current level of consideration. :open_mouth:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

I'd be all over the 735, but my struggle with Garmin is lack of music storage. If I'm going to spend that much, I don't want to *have* to take my phone with me.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member

Hm, that is odd. And good to know, so thanks for asking the question. I'll have to try it out. I may be with @Elise4270 though. The vibration is good and I don't usually even have to look as I know what it is telling me. The battery life seems better than stated. I can go for weeks without charging, but I don't know about continuous use of GPS as needed in an ultra.
  • RunRachelleRun
    @midwesterner85 Yes, good luck with your race!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Wow @fitoverfortymom ! Congratulations!
  • MNLittleFinn

I've never even thought of spoken alerts, I'm pretty well used to and trained to just look when my watch buzzes or vibrates..... Pretty sure I'd get confused by an actual spoken audio prompt..... Looking at the 735 vs the 935, the 935 has more data features, and the 735 might be more "accessible" so, maybe they are made for different types of athletes?
  • MNLittleFinn

Dang. Right now 4 hours of running seems like a really long time. 15... that is just beyond my current level of consideration. :open_mouth:
    My longest "runs" have been in the 7+ hour range, with a lot of walking/hiking because, that's how trail is...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I've never even thought of spoken alerts, I'm pretty well used to and trained to just look when my watch buzzes or vibrates..... Pretty sure I'd get confused by an actual spoken audio prompt..... Looking at the 735 vs the 935, the 935 has more data features, and the 735 might be more "accessible" so, maybe they are made for different types of athletes?

Same here - my Garmin Fenix 3 HR just vibrates, but is feature-heavy.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    So my Plantronics Bluetooth ear piece went through the washer and dryer and still works! Whew! I need my music while I run ;) I went through a no music phase for awhile but I'm currently wanting music.

Also my carpet cleaning got bumped a week due to the other person's schedule so I will get to run today! Yaya!

Still have a burning sinus headache though.
  • PastorVincent

Hm, that is odd. And good to know, so thanks for asking the question. I'll have to try it out. I may be with @Elise4270 though. The vibration is good and I don't usually even have to look as I know what it is telling me. The battery life seems better than stated. I can go for weeks without charging, but I don't know about continuous use of GPS as needed in an ultra.

I listen to audio books currently and RunKeeper broadcasts my stats in my ears every 1 minutes (configurable) which is nice cause it helps me stay on track while losing myself in the book. :) Having it tap my wrist reminding me to look might work too. Never tried that.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Thank you! I'm very nervous because it is my first marathon. Also, it looks like it might rain for the last 2 hours. Nervous AF over this, but then I have to look forward to the day (someday) when a marathon is nothing because I'm training for 100's and such.

@midwesterner85 I also tell Skip don't get nervous over the things you can't control, just take control of things you can. I love to run distance, but I still get nervous over running 5K races, you'll do great and in the end you'll say "I RAN A MARATHON!"
  • PastorVincent

I have only ever had spoken alerts... So I do not know any different :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    So my Plantronics Bluetooth ear piece went through the washer and dryer and still works! Whew! I need my music while I run ;) I went through a no music phase for awhile but I'm currently wanting music.

Also my carpet cleaning got bumped a week due to the other person's schedule so I will get to run today! Yaya!

Still have a burning sinus headache though.

Love that the headphones still work. We wash a lot of GU packets at our house. Thank goodness they are sealed good.

I have unrelenting sinus pressure too. I'm dizzy today and have to keep reminding myself it's just sinuses not a brain tumor. :anguished::smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn

I have only ever had spoken alerts... So I do not know any different :smiley:

Back in my runkeeper days, before I got a Garmin, I vaguely remember using them, but I'm so accustomed to my watch now that I think I'd get distracted by them. My current annoyance is that I can't stop my garmin from beeping when it alerts. I prefer just to have vibration. Not going to matter tomorrow thoug, I turned off auto lap for my ultra.