October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @shanaber It was really the athletic director not the coach. He did all the required paperwork, he's young, only been teaching a few years and without tenure is afraid to rock the boat with the administration. We are famous for the check is in the mail. I told him I'll write all the POs for the entire year back in August, then we are done deal. The bus isn't a must, but it's a highly suggested. I won't let her take it again for any meet over an hour away. She said between the screaming and being uncomfortable she's exhausted when she gets to the meet. It's not required for going back to the school, if we have a close by meet (like 30 minutes away) they will take teh bus there but not home since most parents will attend those meets. He's also the Girl's JV basketball coach and honestly basketball is his love, we are a sideline. :disappointed:

SNOW! @JessicaMcB
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    October 1 - 16 km
    October 2 - 16 km
    October 3 - 16 km
    October 4 - 16 km
    October 5 - 16 km
    October 6 - 16 km
    October 7 - rest day
    October 8 - 21 km
    October 9 - 16 km
    October 10 - 16 km
    October 11 - 16 km
    October 12 - rest day
    October 13 - 16 km
    October 14 - strength training/stairmarster

Total km - 181 km out of 350 km

Realised I haven't been logging any of my other training that I normally do.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I'm not sure. My pace is only slightly improving at that aerobic heart rate (143-158). But . . . I can go faster doing a run/walk than running without walking, so the running without walking is pretty new. Despite the heart rate not being much improved, my breathing is much improved and I am able to run in that zone without walking (50 mins today, albeit very slowly).

I am not at all out of breath anymore. I only get a noticeable increase in my breathing once I am at the top of zone 3 (~178) . . . so perhaps my zones have changed. I used to be out of breath around 150 bpm. Do you think it would be better to go a little faster and run by pace or effort or just stay patient and go as slow as is necessary to stay in that 143-158 range?

So you can run farther without having to stop, at the same HR? That is probably a good sign that you are getting stronger. I would say experiment and listen to your body. If you feel you can push a bit more, then do it. Do not let any rule be rock solid carved in steel, rather let them be guides. Make sense?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to SPAM @shanaber. I got a bit confused and registered. Sorry @HonuNui if I should have only donated. The deadline has passed for sending the medal/t-shirt so hopefully it won't make a difference, right?
    >:)

You have to run it now.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @shanaber We don't root for ASU in our house. :D BF went to U of A. I am a Badgers fan for college (I'm from WI).

So @RunsOnEspresso - are you a Packers fan?? I have been one for many years. My college roommate's bf went on to play for the Packers and is in the hall of fame there. We have been to several games at Lambeau and to Minnesota to see them beat the Vikings as well :). The Minnesota trip was with friends from ND who are huge MN fans! I have never been in a noisier stadium but it got very quiet when the Packers took the lead!
    @shanaber I am. Oh, that is cool! I have been to Lambeau once. It's always a good day when they beat the Vikings. I grew up on the boarder so knew a lot of Viking fans growing up.

Catching a game at Lambeau is on my bucket list. I'm English and back in the 80s when Channel 4 started showing NFL games, I picked the Packers as 'my' team.

Of course I now live in New England which makes me a Pats fan by default. But I'll always be a Packers gal, and I'd choose Rogers over Brady any day of the week.

I’m in VA and a big Packers fan! Well, I’m an Aaron Rodgers fan - I’d cheer for any team he plays for. I’d even start watching golf if he played :smile:
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Perfect sense. Thanks @PastorVincent !
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was an unplanned rest day because of the calf issues. Did an elliptical "run" today.
    Oct. 13 - 4.8km
    MTD - 43.4km/100km
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom that is a legit nightmare. I have weirdness surrounding needing to be early so I 200% would've cried with you!

We are presently driving through this excitement :D

mh6fooc0potb.jpg

@JessicaMcB Is that snow? I am so jealous! It was a high of 89 degrees F today with a million percent humidity. I am loosing hope that cooler weather will ever come.....
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K today!! It wasn't as amazing a run as last night but it was still pretty good. I can't believe I did it! I downloaded the 10K app since I do really well having a plan to follow.

I haven't signed up for the 5k yet and my husband has a doctor appointment that conflicts with it. I'm very introverted and have anxiety so I'm not comfortable going on my own, and it's very important that he takes care of himself. My sister has agreed to run a virtual 5k with me when we can get our schedules to line up.

14.3/40miles

@eponine1984 Congrats in finishing C25K! You rock! :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K today!! It wasn't as amazing a run as last night but it was still pretty good. I can't believe I did it! I downloaded the 10K app since I do really well having a plan to follow.

YAY!!! CONGRATS!!!

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom that is a legit nightmare. I have weirdness surrounding needing to be early so I 200% would've cried with you!

We are presently driving through this excitement :D

mh6fooc0potb.jpg

@JessicaMcB Is that snow? I am so jealous! It was a high of 89 degrees F today with a million percent humidity. I am loosing hope that cooler weather will ever come.....

What is this cooler weather you speak of? LOL Monday I might go to a higher elevation in search of leaves that change color.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Argh! I am definitely sick. Yesterday and today my throat and sinuses and head have felt on fire, then this evening my nose is just pouring. Hopefully I can get my AIM run done tomorrow!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I did back & chest tonight. I am reporting in on all workouts to keep myself accountable! Tomorrow we run!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    We are expected to have more winds and hot dry weather starting again tomorrow :( I am hoping to get my long run in early before it gets miserable. Regardless I will get in my S.P.A.M AIM run in no matter what! I am also really hoping the winds don't cause the wildfires to kick back up again (65% contained) and that no new fires start!

I tried again to run today and it again became a very slow mostly walk run because my quads were so tight and sore. About a mile in I stopped and took my orthotics out of my shoes and stuffed them in my pocket.That seemed to help some so now I am almost convinced that the problem is from my new shoes and the reason it went away when I was in Seattle??? I only took my old neutral zero drop Topo's with me. Today I had on my new Topos that have a small amount of stability and I think it must be just enough to be too much with my orthotics and not enough or in the wrong place without them. This next week while traveling I will only have my old Topos so time will tell. If it ends up being the shoes I will have a pretty much brand new pair of Topo FlyLytes, womens 7.5 available.

In other news - I ordered a pair of Skora Tempos from a Triathlon store in Dubai! I am hoping they will be here when I get home from VA at the end of next week. Skora is my favorite shoe and they haven't produced any in over a year. They are supposed to be coming out with all new shoes but in the meantime I was so excited to find them in Dubai! If it works out I may order a 2nd pair just to have a spare :)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom wow what a story. Your school principal is a poor leader. Nice to hear that Skip did well regardless.
    2 1/2 hours to race time for me.