Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    Yes this link I'm posting is not "scientific enough",

Ayup.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious how often/how much the vehement pro diet soda advocates drink diet soda... Everyday, regularly? Knowing this will make their position a lot easier to understand :wink:

I wouldn't call myself "pro diet soda" but I'll assume that you might class me that way so I'll respond. Honestly I'd say I'm "anti false information about health" if anything. But since I don't think diet soda is harmful or at all influential when it comes to meaningful weight loss and I do think the calories in non-diet soda are rather empty when I have a soda I drink diet. I'd say I probably have a diet soda maybe three times a week. I tend to drink coffee if I want caffeine or juice/water if I want to be hydrated. If I'm at a restaurant I might order a soda, I don't have any at home.

I do flavor my coffee with either sucralose or aspartame though so I guess that might be more of what you are getting at. In that regard I'd guess I probably average like 450mg a day of aspartame or an equivalent.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    2-3 cans a day.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Just to turn that question around is there anyone here who genuinely believes that a good way to lose weight is to focus on getting over a diet soda habit?

I have seen many who say just that in just the short time I have been here.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MsChewMe wrote: »
    Just to turn that question around is there anyone here who genuinely believes that a good way to lose weight is to focus on getting over a diet soda habit?

I have seen many who say just that in just the short time I have been here.

Well I'd definitely be curious to see if anyone states that directly because I'd really be curious to know why they believe cutting out zero calories is going to help you lose weight. Not only that but with the idea you have a limited amount of willpower to spend on your endevour to lose weight that this is something you should be focusing on over say exercise or changing what you are eating.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I pour maybe 1/4 glass of diet soda a day. Just a taste. Sometimes more. Sometimes I don't drink any. It's more a matter of economy.

I do use a lot of splenda to sweeten hot drinks, and I tend to drink more of those than diet soda. I'm big on my brewing chocolate and herbal teas, but I like them sweet.

I've been drinking artificially sweetened beverages since I was a small child. My grandfather was a diabetic and started buying TAB and Fresca as soon as they were introduced to the market. We used to spend weekends with our grandparents and soda was soda!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2017
    Options

No ones saying that. For me, anything that can't be made in a kitchen I wouldn't consume daily.

Well if no one is saying that then why would anyone want to advise someone who is trying to lose weight that they should focus their willpower on overcoming a diet soda habit? Or why, even more indirectly, would we support someone who wants to "help" someone who is trying to lose weight by putting the focus on diet soda for some reason. It is a waste of effort.