Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn Awesome! you got this!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    T-minus 12 days! I run my regular weekly miles this week, probably 10 miles on Saturday, then next week taper until (gulp!) the HM on the 4th!

I work best with goals. I'm about to tackle the biggest fitness goal yet. Not sure what I'll do next. I don't have the time right now (or the drive) to start planning a marathon run. But where do I go from here? Faster 5ks or 10ks? Learn how to trail run? My future is a big black hole....

You will do great... just keep telling yourself that HM == Half MILE :wink:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 oh man; that medal is awesome! And great job on the race too.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn you have worked hard and will do great. The cool thing about this course is at mile 3 you loop back to the start and yeah everyone is there to cheer you on. The part I had a hard time was the out and back on the greenway from miles 6 to 10 but if the Panera Pounders are at 6/10 they are awesome and will keep you going. You will probably see people coming back at you at mile 5.5 that would be Brandon York and he's just FAST. There is a hill coming back at mile 12 just keep your form and next thing you know you are coming in to the finish. They give lots of great stuff away so be sure to stay for door prizes and awards.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @skippygirls- think they'll have pacers? Just curious. And how tall is that hill? Yikes! And I'm hoping that I'll have a Terrame Day Spa visit sometime later that afternoon. LOL!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Marathon race report:

Total time was about 6 hours… it is my fastest marathon and my slowest marathon. I have much room for improvement. I know a goal of 4:10 was a stretch, but not that much if conditions had been different.

Congratulations on finishing and sorry it didn't go as planned! Anyone who finishes a marathon is amazing in my book.
    Finished 16 minutes after cut off. The course was nasty, mud was really awful. My legs are totally trashed, but I did 100k

Woo hoo!!! Awesome job finishing anything of that distance. So impressed.

@Runningmischka, congratulations on the half! Sounds like a great time and lovely pic!
  • shrcpr
    Options
    @hjeppley, congrats to both you and your son!

@ctclaws44, super cool pics and medal.

So many racers this past weekend!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s
    10/13 12miles 1h:53m:24s
    10/14 5miles 48m:31s
    10/15 rest
    10/16 5.8miles 55m:37s
    10/17 7miles 64m:13s
    10/18 9miles 1h:20m:51s
    10/19 5miles 46m:17s
    10/20 12miles 1h:51m:25s
    10/21 5miles 48m
    10/22 rest
    10/23 6.6miles 1h:01m:37s

Did Monday intervals. I was tired but I pushed through it.

This is completely off topic but it’s bugging me! I’m super annoyed by people who bail last minute to parties. I’ve planned food, party favors, etc and when you bail last minute or don’t even show up it really sucks! We had my youngest daughter’s birthday party and 3 families bailed, literally within hours of the party and one family didn’t even show up! What’s wrong with people?! 4 families is a lot of wasted money on food and favors! Now I’m stuck eating a crap-load of pizza and cupcakes.
  • shrcpr
    Options
    T-minus 12 days! I run my regular weekly miles this week, probably 10 miles on Saturday, then next week taper until (gulp!) the HM on the 4th!

I work best with goals. I'm about to tackle the biggest fitness goal yet. Not sure what I'll do next. I don't have the time right now (or the drive) to start planning a marathon run. But where do I go from here? Faster 5ks or 10ks? Learn how to trail run? My future is a big black hole....

You will be fantastic - you already ran the distance so you know you can do it!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Runningmischka - Nice race report. You make me want to run the Gettysburg Blue-Gray Half. Too bad Gettysburg is clear across Pennsylvania from me; it would require trip planning that I probably won't do.

@ctlaws44 - 42 day running streak on your 42nd birthday? Maybe that's why 42 is the answer to the ultimate question. ;) Oh, and cool medal for the NASA 10K!

Rest day for me today. Mowed the lawn. The way it's growing, I'll still be mowing in November, sigh. Where is the happy season between lawn mowing and snow shoveling?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirls- think they'll have pacers? Just curious. And how tall is that hill? Yikes! And I'm hoping that I'll have a Terrame Day Spa visit sometime later that afternoon. LOL!

@WandaVaughn they haven't in the past. It's not horrible but you'll know you are going up it. After the first 3 miles it's out and back so you get to see it on the way out.

wklay6vt0hbh.jpg

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So this question is mainly for our female runners...

So I am out running and on a section of paved trail (in a public park) that is an out and back and is about a mile. Early on, a young woman very slowly passes me. Without even thinking about it, I pick up the pace and start matching her. Nothing deliberate just happens. So was feeling a bit awkward running right next to her for a bit, (and figured she probably did not like some random guy pacing her) and so I turned off the trail and sprinted up a hill, leaped a concrete barrier, crossed a parking lot, and headed back down the trail in the other direction. Never did see her again.

Was that the umm proper thing to do? LOL. I was stuck, cause I really did not want to slow down, and speeding up probably would have seemed rude or macho or something. :smiley:

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So this question is mainly for our female runners...

So I am out running and on a section of paved trail (in a public park) that is an out and back and is about a mile. Early on, a young woman very slowly passes me. Without even thinking about it, I pick up the pace and start matching her. Nothing deliberate just happens. So was feeling a bit awkward running right next to her for a bit, (and figured she probably did not like some random guy pacing her) and so I turned off the trail and sprinted up a hill, leaped a concrete barrier, crossed a parking lot, and headed back down the trail in the other direction. Never did see her again.

Was that the umm proper thing to do? LOL. I was stuck, cause I really did not want to slow down, and speeding up probably would have seemed rude or macho or something. :smiley:

She probably turned around and left because you spooked her!

I would probably be weirded out a little, but would have slowed to let you pass.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent mostly guys whizz past me - never had one match my pace before.

TBH if someone ran alongside me, male OR female, I’d find it weird. But then I also don’t like it if someone is walking a bit close behind me, matching my steps, even if I’m with friends and it’s daylight. It’s a personal space thing. I tend to find myself suddenly needing to tie my shoelace or something to let them pass.

One night walking home (yes, it was VERY late, yes there had been alcohol), I had a guy repeatedly try and reassure me he wasn’t following me, even calling out as he crossed the road that he was trying to make me not scared by him (which I wasn’t). And then, just as he got to the corner of a street, having spent all that time trying to reassure me, he calls out ‘do you want to come in for a smoke?’ Yeah, that was weird.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent mostly guys whizz past me - never had one match my pace before.

TBH if someone ran alongside me, male OR female, I’d find it weird. But then I also don’t like it if someone is walking a bit close behind me, matching my steps, even if I’m with friends and it’s daylight. It’s a personal space thing. I tend to find myself suddenly needing to tie my shoelace or something to let them pass.

One night walking home (yes, it was VERY late, yes there had been alcohol), I had a guy repeatedly try and reassure me he wasn’t following me, even calling out as he crossed the road that he was trying to make me not scared by him (which I wasn’t). And then, just as he got to the corner of a street, having spent all that time trying to reassure me, he calls out ‘do you want to come in for a smoke?’ Yeah, that was weird.

Just what I was going to say. In fact only yesterday I was trundling along in my own little world when I realized another runner was coming up behind me. He shouted a cheery, "good morning!", and powered past me. I think I'd have been really freaked out if he'd decided to slow down and match my pace.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @Runningmischka - Nice race report. You make me want to run the Gettysburg Blue-Gray Half. Too bad Gettysburg is clear across Pennsylvania from me; it would require trip planning that I probably won't do.

They also have a "sister race" in April, North-South Marathon and 10k. I am seriously thinking about signing up. It has been way too long since I ran my 26.2 miles :) Anyway, I will leave the link to their website juuuust in case... ;)

http://www.gettysburgnorthsouthmarathon.com/

Gettysburg is lovely in the spring, maybe worth a trip with extra 2-3 days to tour the town.

@PastorVincent it's hard to tell what she thought to be honest. I would not have given it a second thought if that was me, but I'm weird and pay little attention to the surroundings when I'm in the zone (that's not a self-assessment, but rather accurate diagnose based on years of observations by my husband)

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn so exciting! I am sure you will do great, but watch out - you might get addicted to running 13.1 miles. Either way, we will be here waiting for your race report.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ya @PastorVincent Definitely might have given her second thoughts about hanging around. Maybe you should have chatted a bit, "mind if I pace with you?".... If I see someone turn right at the fork, I go left...

I try very hard to run away from anyone out. I just hate that feeling of I have to hold my pace and not stop for a walk too close to them, potentially endure conversation, fart, break my focus, or put myself in a position. Lately there's an older obviously wealthy couple that's out and they give me the nastiest look- "Appalled one should be willingly sweating in public" er something... :expressionless: really wish I could fart or shoot a snot rocket as I pass.

ETA there is one guy I've run with and I don't know his name. I've see him 4 days a week for the last 2 years though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever get in a funk after an accomplishment because you didn't know what to do next? Yeah, that's where I'm at. Weird feeling.