October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I turned 51 yesterday and my health and fitness are night and day from when I hit 50. I was a 225 lb couch potato with a BMI of 35 and now I am 155 lbs with a BMI of 23 and will be running a half marathon in less than a month. And a lot of the best advice and inspiration I have found right here on the monthly challenge thread. A heartfelt thank you to everyone who contributes to the thread.

Happy birthday and congrats on your major health accomplishment there!!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    October Running:
    10/03: 4.03 miles (1E/2MP/1E)
    10/05: 3.01 mile easy run
    10/07: 2.01 mile easy run
    10/08: Chicago Marathon (26.54 miles)!!!!!
    10/10: 2.01 mile easy run
    10/11: 3.08 mile easy run
    10/13: 3.03 mile easy run
    10/15: 4.08 mile easy run
    10/16: 3.07 mile easy run + 35 min biking
    10/17: 6.04 miles- 10x400m@5K pace
    10/18: 40 min biking
    10/19: 5.03 mile onion run
    10/20: 10.03 mile long run
    10/21: 11.4 miles backpacking
    10/22: 10.9 miles backpacking
    10/23: 4.13 mile easy run + 30 min biking
    Total: 76.09 miles

Notes:
    Managed to fit in a 4.13 mile easy run (9:22 pace) between downpours yesterday! Then followed it up by 30 minutes on the spin bike to keep the HR up a bit longer. My boyfriend is starting to show interest in running, and has managed to work his way up to 3 miles over the past few weeks. I'm really excited about it and hope that pretty soon we could do a few runs together! He even registered for the Excalibur 10 miler in march so that should give him some motivation to keep training. Though he seems to think that by march he will be fast enough to run the race with me, so that will give me a little extra incentive to train hard :wink: Today is our five year anniversary so I've decided to postpone today's run until tomorrow, that way we can spend more time together. Only problem is I'll also have to push thursday's tempo run back to friday so that I don't have two hard runs back to back. Track Wednesday and Tempo Friday just don't have the same ring to them though... The things we do for love!

@7lenny7 I've thought about working up to fast packing and giving it a shot for shorter/weekend trips. One of the things I like about backpacking though is going nice and slow and really enjoying the scenery! I'm afraid I'd spend too much time looking at my feet running haha but then again I also have almost no experience running on trails. We did meet a couple thru-hiking the IAT while we were out there this weekend, which was pretty cool! I wasn't sure if people were attempting thru hikes yet since it isn't complete, but they said the road walking wasn't too bad! It's a beautiful trail but I think I'd wait til it is finished though haha. I do have a pair of trail runners that I often use while backpacking, especially in summer/fall. The hiking boots I reserve mainly in colder weather, or in this case I opted to wear them since we were expecting heavy rain and muddy conditions (they are waterproof and my feet stayed completely dry despite 4+ hours in the rain). It does seem to be a very polarizing question in the backpacking community :wink:
    @MNLittleFinn I know I am a little late, but congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment on finishing :smile:
    @cameronheel Wow what amazing transformation over the past year! Such a testament to your resolve and perserverence.

Upcoming Races:
    Chicago Marathon - 10/08/17 Finished in 3:54:35!!!
    Space Coast Half Marathon - 11/26/17
    Jingle Bell Run 5K - 12/09/17
    Excalibur 10 Miler - 03/18/18
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I've cooked (or rather "prepared") for 50 once a week for over 3 years so I'm pretty used to it. But depending on what it is I'm serving there is more or less time involved. This week is one of the more time-involved meals.

@shrcpr Sorry about the piriformis. I'm hoping my butt pain this week doesn't turn into a major ordeal again.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 thats a good point re: elites. I know there are at least three male elites in our province who are pretty insistent they run continous distance on 100 mile ultras and have times that would wash with that, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule even for their mythic people :D
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I faced a similar dilemma on my run Saturday. Cute girl with a pace near mine. Thought about pacing with her but ended up picking it up and blowing past as to not be creepy. I slowed down once I got a comfortable distance ahead. We were roughly the same pace(she was a little slower, but more where I probably should have been. Guessing she was holding close to a 10:00/mi) but I just felt like a creeper coming up on her and asking if I could run with her. Such is the dilemma of being a guy at times.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    LOL. I guess that's one way to look at it. Part of me says I already have done longer than a 50, so why not go for the 100 at Zumbro? Superior 50 is the one I really want to hit for that distance, it's almost in my back yard. I'd go for the century on that, but it starts the friday of the first week of school, and teacher probably shouldn't miss that day.....

One thing I've seen at a couple of races that I wish more would do is that if you pick the longer distance but DNF, you still get credit if you complete the shorter distance. So if you pick the 100 mile, but only go 52 miles, then you officially finish the 50 mile race with whatever time you had at 50 miles. I've only seen that at the three loop Psycho Wyco (10M/20M/50K) and just 2 miles from my house, the three loop Surf the Murph (25K/50K/50M)

@ariceroni your reason for backpacking vs. fastpacking makes excellent sense! I forget how much you DON'T see when you run a trail. Your footwear choice also makes sense, given the conditions.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Why can't my body just love me back for exercising?

Exactly! I often feel this way.

This is the story of my life.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    One thing I've seen at a couple of races that I wish more would do is that if you pick the longer distance but DNF, you still get credit if you complete the shorter distance. So if you pick the 100 mile, but only go 52 miles, then you officially finish the 50 mile race with whatever time you had at 50 miles. I've only seen that at the three loop Psycho Wyco (10M/20M/50K) and just 2 miles from my house, the three loop Surf the Murph (25K/50K/50M)

@ariceroni your reason for backpacking vs. fastpacking makes excellent sense! I forget how much you DON'T see when you run a trail. Your footwear choice also makes sense, given the conditions.

Kettle has that option if you are running the 100 mile, you can stop at the 100k and get credit for that. I thought that was a nice option
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 that is so sweet of you say.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Kettle has that option if you are running the 100 mile, you can stop at the 100k and get credit for that. I thought that was a nice option

Hmmm....I'll have to keep that in mind. My current long-range plan calls for my first 100K to be the Gorge Waterfalls 100K in Oregon in 2019, but if I can't make that happen, I could do the KM 100K, but sign up for the 100M, leaving that option open if I felt up to it.

• ACJones82
    ACJones82 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »

@ACJones82 I found running unfueled to be a great way to help condition the body to become more efficient with fuel resources by forcing it to utilize fat more while running. This in theory should pay dividends later on by helping to avoid hitting the dreaded wall.

ETA: Just re-read what you wrote, and you said without water. Ah well, I still stand by what I wrote, lol.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - that’s EXACTLY what I was imagining.....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

ha ha @girlinahat
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @seanevan10 awesome medal, great PR - so sorry you are hurting :disappointed:

@PastorVincent this is for you - what women see when you run next to us ha ha

d5o0k6n8ugvm.jpg

Ahhhhh I am kind of cute looking!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

ha ha @girlinahat

Honestly... that is pretty much my concern.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I have been so massively busy at work and home that I haven't commented and just now got caught up. I didn't listen and pay attention to all of you and should have not done the race on Sat. I did however shave 2 minutes off my last 5k time and got a cool finisher medal. But now, I'm out until I see the dr tomorrow. Hopefully, just a little strength issue and some PT will help. Not sure if it's hamstring or piriformis issue. Either way, it hurts to walk or sit. Running actually doesn't hurt at all. Weird huh? Anyway, here's the medal. Pretty excited about my time.

Sorry you are hurt... but man that is a cool medal!