Such a thing as guy "friends"?

Options

Replies

• WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    Can girls just be friends with guys or do you all at some point just want in our pants?

Just curious, no offense meant.

Let's try to logic this out. "Do you all at some point just want in our pants?" Logical premise: Do all x want/do y?

Substitute other groups for x: Women, homosexuals, various ethnicities, cultures, religious groups etc.
    Substitute any action or desire for y.

Can a straight guy and a gay guy be friends or will the gay guy always want in the straight guy's pants?

Does the question suddenly feel sexist, racist or otherwise bigoted and icky?
    Why would it not be the same to assume that all guys are bereft of self control and can only think with our dicks?

How immature does one have to be to assume that a measure of physical attraction prevents two people from being friends?

Ugh. Math. I tuned out for a sec, but I think I regained consciousness in time to see that you're consistent with that LGBTQ(+) thread that got shut down yesterday.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Can girls just be friends with guys or do you all at some point just want in our pants?

Let's try to logic this out. "Do you all at some point just want in our pants?" Logical premise: Do all x want/do y?

Substitute other groups for x: Women, homosexuals, various ethnicities, cultures, religious groups etc.

Can a straight guy and a gay guy be friends or will the gay guy always want in the straight guy's pants?

Why would it not be the same to assume that all guys are bereft of self control and can only think with our dicks?

How immature does one have to be to assume that a measure of physical attraction prevents two people from being friends?

Ugh. Math. I tuned out for a sec, but I think I regained consciousness in time to see that you're consistent with that LGBTQ(+) thread that got shut down yesterday.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is, humans are more than sexual beings and attraction doesn't have to dictate action and reaction. If anything is consistent between the two, it is an annoyance at people's constant *kitten* immaturity in their interaction with one another.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

What does that have to do with anything? The point is, humans are more than sexual beings and attraction doesn't have to dictate action and reaction. If anything is consistent between the two, it is an annoyance at people's constant *kitten* immaturity in their interaction with one another.

I'm in agreement with your logic. It's just the way you present yourself comes off as a bit hostile.
  • unfilterednate
    unfilterednate Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm friendly and genuinely interested while you have my attention.. but I have many interests so don't distract me with your sexy ways and take advantage of my attentions. :D

• BishopWankapin
    Options

I'm in agreement with your logic. It's just the way you present yourself comes off as a bit hostile.

That's fair. Of late I have been in a constant state of aggressive pessimistic nihilism. I'm sure eventually things will right themselves and I'll once more be farting rainbows, but not today. I'll work on calibrating interaction. Or avoiding it altogether. Whichever comes first.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

It's possible but facts cannot be ignored either. Fact is, more men than women are after one thing only and it gets in the way of a friendship.

That's my opinion. I also don't think there was any assumptions to conclude immaturity. There was a question though.

That being said, I have many guy friends. On here, not so much.

On another note... guess I'm a Milky Way because looking into my eyes is like looking in the stars. BOOM!
  • BishopWankapin
    Options

It's possible but facts cannot be ignored either. Fact is, more men than women are after one thing only and it gets in the way of a friendship.

That's my opinion. I also don't think there was any assumptions to conclude immaturity. There was a question though.

Utter Bull *kitten*. Show any legitimate evidence other than your limited, personal experience and I'll concede the point. Otherwise learn what the word fact means.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Utter Bull *kitten*. Show any legitimate evidence other than your limited, personal experience and I'll concede the point. Otherwise learn what the word fact means.

Good thing I don't have to prove *kitten* to you right? Also while on the subject pants, maybe we should bring up the FACT that someone also has their metaphorical panties in a bunch. If you are sensitive and easily offended by people having conversations and opinions perhaps this forum isn't for you. Just saying... that last one was my opinion btw
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

If I'm being honest, and some of this comes from my own personal experience of men trying to befriend me just in the hopes of sleeping with me, I don't think that assuming men are thinking with their dicks is immature. I don't think it's right a lot of the time, but it is right some of the time.

It's unfortunate that this has been a reality for a lot of people.

It really sucks when you thought someone was your friend but immediately after telling them that no, you won't sleep with them, the "friendship" ends.

that would have sucked for the guy too. and i do believe that a significant % (ie. a non single digit %) of men are this way. what % - that I have no idea. i also believe that this % is higher for men than for women. also, i have no data to prove these beliefs.
  • BishopWankapin
    Options

Good thing I don't have to prove *kitten* to you right? Also while on the subject pants, maybe we should bring up the FACT that someone also has their metaphorical panties in a bunch. If you are sensitive and easily offended by people having conversations and opinions perhaps this forum isn't for you. Just saying... that last one was my opinion btw

So your mind is already made up and you don't actually care about the opinions you asked for if they happen to disagree or provoke any measure of thought. Got it.
  • itsfuntobedevilinabluedress
    Options
    I have been just friends with a guy for 20 years. It's honestly strange to me that people think that's somehow not possible.
  • BishopWankapin
    Options

If I'm being honest, and some of this comes from my own personal experience of men trying to befriend me just in the hopes of sleeping with me, I don't think that assuming men are thinking with their dicks is immature. I don't think it's right a lot of the time, but it is right some of the time.

It really sucks when you thought someone was your friend but immediately after telling them that no, you won't sleep with them, the "friendship" ends.

I agree. Assuming that men are thinking with their dicks isn't immature because it is in fact true a lot of the time. The issue is with assuming that all men are thinking with their dicks which is the specific and central point of the original question.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Average looking women like me seem to have less of an issue... lol.

But again, once you're older and married and possibly have kids, it's a whole different situation IMO.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I've decided to replace all my friends with candybars.

Can I be a bit-o-honey so I'll be stuck on your teeth forever?

I am gonna be a skor bar.

Damn you! Guess I’ll be butterfingers. Grumble

Ha! We could be skor bar twins, some people are into doubles.

what is a skor bar? Does it have nuts? Cuz that won't work for you ladies.

It is a chocolate covered toffee, are you saying we are nuts?

No. I was gonna save the candybars with nuts to replace the guys. Help me tell the difference.

There is a joke in there about lady mounds and milky way, but I am way too classy to bring it up.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Some of my bestest friends in the world are ladies. I have no issues being friends only at all. I like being told exactly what I need to hear sometimes, not just what I want to hear!
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    RacerX_14 wrote: »
    Some of my bestest friends in the world are ladies. I have no issues being friends only at all. I like being told exactly what I need to hear sometimes, not just what I want to hear!

I think you're confused... Typically men say what needs to be said while women say what a person wants to hear. In some ways that might be why some women enjoy and appreciate men as platonic friends.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    90ya96q1grx8.png
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    fwb-gif1.gif
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    slessofme wrote: »
    RacerX_14 wrote: »

I think you're confused... Typically men say what needs to be said while women say what a person wants to hear. In some ways that might be why some women enjoy and appreciate men as platonic friends.

You could be right. I do have some really cool girl friends though that I have a lot in common with that are killer to hang out with. Could go both ways I suppose.
  • YearOfTheDragonLeo
    YearOfTheDragonLeo Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    of course.....but eventually we all want in each others pants....