Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cheering you on from Maryland!
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this guy's thread the other day. He went from 511 pounds to 175 pounds over the course of 5 years. Possibly an inspiring thread to browse for motivation, or a source of insight from a new potential MFP contact? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10121458/from-511-to-175-a-336-lb-loss-over-5-years/p1. There are actually several such threads on the MFP forums so if this one inspires maybe you can find some others as well?

Best of luck to you; it seems you're off to a great start!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    Now down to 477 so 12lbs lost this month so far

Thats awesome bj :+1:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    12. Excellent.

:)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Good! Looked up Spartan races. That looks super hard!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    great work! keep working hard! set aside some $$ for new clothes.. you could save a dollar a pound lost .
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    great work! keep working hard! set aside some $$ for new clothes.. you could save a dollar a pound lost .

Yeah. I never considered the cost of clothes. Sometimes I wish I had. Goodwill has not been kind to me, either.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I agree with the posters above. Not everything that's been said about removing 'poisons' from your food supplies, etc. was strictly wrong, but I'm not sure it's the best way to start a life change. If this is going to be sustainable for you for the long haul it needs to be evolution rather than revolution. And one of the most effective ways to break down this process into mentally manageable parts is to separate 'weight loss' from 'nutrition'—at least at first, then add more steps gradually. It's obviously important to consider nutrition, but at this early stage that can overcomplicate your goal-setting, in part because it's an issue that has become subjective (low carb or not, what does 'clean' eating mean, which supplements to take, etc.). In contrast, weight loss is straight-up thermodynamics. There is nothing subjective or ambiguous about the formula of 3500-calorie deficit = 1 pound of fat 'burned'.***

In theory, even if you are nothing but junk food within your calorie limit, you'd still lose. This is problematic in other ways, including that highly processed foods tend not to sate and nourish; this means, if nothing else, that you could find it harder to keep within your calorie limit because you might get hungry again quickly between meals. So if you use the early weeks or months of this process to experiment with what combination of protein/fat/carbs seems to best keep you comfortably sated, that's a step toward helping you stay in the right thermodynamic zone for your CICO goals long term. When you've got that then maybe start strategically Googling meal ideas (if not to follow recipes then even just to look at pictures that give you ideas for other meals you might like—I do it to help me not get stuck in a rut).

Nutrition-related stuff can then be gradually worked in without a calorie shift for different types of dietary improvement; for example, if you were to exchange a 500-calorie serving of (store/restaurant) french fries with a 500-calorie serving of baked potato + plenty of butter you might be keeping your calories and even macros the same while making a nutritional shift in a way your body will thank you for later. And then maybe incorporate a bit more in the way of green leafy vegetables or whatever seems like a practical next step. And so on from there.

You're off to a great start, now I think 13 pounds down? Keep it up!

***Note: When fat is 'burned' it doesn't disappear in a puff of smoke, it's converted into a combination of carbon dioxide and water that we then pee, sweat, and breathe out with our daily activity (another good reason to keep one's body moving). This may be why some people believe that they can't lose weight when they eat a lot of carboHYDRATES and sodium, because the fat is converted but the cells keep trying to hold onto the water.

EDITED with apologies at the request of a wrongly named party in the original version of this post.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have only had time to read the first 4 pages of this thread but I didn't want to read and run without saying well done on such a great start!
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hay guys i doing to need some advice doctor told me today that i have to lose 50lbs or more in 2 months so i am that i can get surgery that i really needs that he would like to do as soon as tomorrow but its to high risk and needs to lose 50lbs. So he said i need to cut out carbs like almost altogether.

Anyone have any meal ideas low on carbs and high in protein?
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    Hay guys i doing to need some advice doctor told me today that i have to lose 50lbs or more in 2 months so i am that i can get surgery that i really needs that he would like to do as soon as tomorrow but its to high risk and needs to lose 50lbs. So he said i need to cut out carbs like almost altogether.

Anyone have any meal ideas low on carbs and high in protein?

im struggling to believe a doctor would demand such a dangerous loss in such a small timeframe

Yep tell me about it but it said its fine and will be ok i even tryed to tell him it's unhealthy to lose more then 2 lbs a weeks with out doctors supervision but he said it is fine for me to do this.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is very typical for bariatric surgery. They like you to lose 10% of your weight. The loss will help your liver to shrink some which makes the surgery easier and possible in heavier patients. They also use it to guage the commitment you can put towards such a drastic surgery and change of life. BJ I am six weeks out from a bariatric surgery and the more you can lose before surgery the better it will be for you. Transition to eating more meat and the carbs you get should be from vegetables and fruits. Also after you have the surgery that is how you will be eating. Protein first then to balance the meal with vegetables and fruits.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    The sergery is to remove my tyroides and parathyroids and the tumors on them. Not a bypass surgery.