October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I am so excited to watch Robbins take his third (and hopefully final) bid to be the first Canuck to conquer Barkley. I was bummed I couldn't get tickets to WDGTD for the Canadian showings. I will likely settle for running one of the races in his Coastal Mountain Trail Series and being a creeper ;)

@Elise4270 well I guess that sucks for me being born in February lol

October 1- 28+7
    October 2- 18
    October 3- 20
    October 4- 15
    October 5- 18
    October 6- Off
    October 7- 32
    October 8- 18
    October 9- 13
    October 10- 8
    October 11- 12
    October 12- Off
    October 13- Off
    October 14- 86
    October 15- Off
    October 16- Off
    October 17- Off
    October 18- 15
    October 19- 16
    October 20- 17
    October 21- 34
    October 22- 18
    October 23- Off
    October 24- 23
    October 25- 19
    October 26- 17

434/450km

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ACK!!! MAJOR ISSUE WITH 935 THAT I DID NOT ACCOUNT FOR!!

PANIC!!

They do not have a RoadId that fits it! :cry:

I asked about it in their chat, and they said no. I told them that made me sad, so they sent me a picture to cheer me up:

ae0i4nbitzn5.png

Clever distraction... but I still have no RoadId. :cry:

The one for my AppleWatch ALMOST fit. I think I will try heating it up with my torch and bending it a bit.

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't know about all marathon runners birthday edge, but I know the hottest runners were born in August...just sayin'

@skippygirlsmom Darn right!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I can't believe they don't have one to fit. I gotta say I love the folks at RoadID, the picture cracked me up. I asked them to sponsor a race for me, they said they couldn't, but they sent me about 200 discount cards and 10 gift cards for Ids. That worked.

Ha! Cool.

I actually wonder if the one for the Fenix 5 would fit. I need to check the band sizes .The LOOK the same in pictures at least.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - That sounds like a magical run. I have to say, I was a little apprehensive about my middle of the night leg of the Bourbon Chase, but it ended up being my favorite one. Not quite as hard core terrain as your run, but it was along a twisty and hilly back country dirt road at 3AM. The moon and stars were bright and the surrounding woods were totally alive. Of course, I wasn't entirely alone out there. I did pass seven other runners and one passed me, but for the most part it was solitude. I did not see another person for the first mile and a half,and that was through the low lying foggy area. It was spooky and peaceful and invigorating all at once. It makes me want to get up and drive to remote roads at 3AM every night.

I must have missed your race report on this. Congratulations! It sounded so interesting. I'll have to look for it!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Tried my foot pod out indoors today. Then, the treadmill shut itself off 40 mins into my workout so I have no idea how it compared to the treadmill's data. The lady beside me figured I must have nudged the emergency shut off. And well, it's possible.

Today: strength and 3.2 miles
    MTD: 43.68 / 50 miles
  • LC0924
    LC0924 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @Ryokat thats COLD.

@skippygirlsmom THATS REALLY COLD. You're a badass. Any tips/recommendations for surviving cold would be much appreciated.

@PastorVincent I appreciate the review of the new Garmin! I've always been curious, but with my running so inconsistent its never made sense to invest in a watch. I do love to read about them, though :lol:

Checking in now because I know I won't remember to do it tonight! Went for a walk with my husband last night, this afternoon I have plans for some strength training and a 15 minute run/walk. Then its Halloween costume shopping - the high school where I teach is having a competition tomorrow, a few other teachers and I are going to be the gang from Stephen King's IT. Gotta go find a Bev dress.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I can't believe they don't have one to fit. I gotta say I love the folks at RoadID, the picture cracked me up. I asked them to sponsor a race for me, they said they couldn't, but they sent me about 200 discount cards and 10 gift cards for Ids. That worked.

Ha! Cool.

I actually wonder if the one for the Fenix 5 would fit. I need to check the band sizes .The LOOK the same in pictures at least.

So it IS the same band:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12496-00#devices

But I asked RoadId again and they are sure the one for the Fenix 5 will not work. The agent I talk to was not sure why, so I am skeptical.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@HonuNui I haven't forgotten the AIM at Melanoma run. I wanted to wait until my calf was up to a proper run, and I didn't want it to be just a normal training run. Well I think I've got it figured out. The started a weekly 5K parkrun this year in a town about 20 minutes away. I'm going to take Kody with me and that will be my AIM run. I've never taken Kody with me on a race before so this will be a first.

Can I get a pic of Kody with the medal!??
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I find out once and for all today if Samsung will replace my watch. If not, I gave hubby a list of my top 3 Garmin choices in a variety of price points since my birthday is on Tuesday.

I am kind of thinking that we should be hoping for Samsung to NOT repair it here... :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Can I get a pic of Kody with the medal!??

@HonuNui absolutely!

@lporter229 I missed your Bourbon Chase report as well, I too will have to go back and look. <ETA: I looked at posts for a week following and couldn't find it. Did you post one?>

@JessicaMcB I was disappointed to see that WDGTD wasn't even going to be screening in Minneapolis, but I'll rent it went it becomes available online.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I find out once and for all today if Samsung will replace my watch. If not, I gave hubby a list of my top 3 Garmin choices in a variety of price points since my birthday is on Tuesday.

I am kind of thinking that we should be hoping for Samsung to NOT repair it here... :)

Part of me is, yes. I would never recommend a Samsung device of any sort after my experience with them, but I also wasn't looking to spend another $300++++ on a new watch. We are due to get new phones soon, also, so I now I don't feel locked in to getting a Samsung for the optimal compatibility of also having the Samsung watch.

It's a shame a company cares so little about customer service. My family as a looooot of Samsung devices.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom Is that the Spooktacular 5K you're doing? Have fun! I'll be doing my last long run before my race. Rain? Yuck!

@garygse , @fitoverfortymom , @ctlaws44 , and @cameronheel -- are we all Scorpios? What a great group we are! Any others?

Interesting read regarding birth month...
    https://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/what-month-are-top-marathoners-born-in

"...A British study where 8,000 kids were measured at the same absolute age found that a kid born in November can typically “run at least 10 percent faster, jump 12 percent higher and is 15 percent more powerful than a child of exactly the same age born in April.”..."

Unfortunately, I'm April. :neutral:

I'm an October and I can tell you I can gain weight like a champ.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Part of me is, yes. I would never recommend a Samsung device of any sort after my experience with them, but I also wasn't looking to spend another $300++++ on a new watch. We are due to get new phones soon, also, so I now I don't feel locked in to getting a Samsung for the optimal compatibility of also having the Samsung watch.

It's a shame a company cares so little about customer service. My family as a looooot of Samsung devices.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have not yet had to deal with Garmin's customer service even though I have had their GPSs in my cars for over a decade. So I guess that speaks for itself.

But yeah, these toys are NOT cheap. :disappointed:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ACK!!! MAJOR ISSUE WITH 935 THAT I DID NOT ACCOUNT FOR!!

PANIC!!

They do not have a RoadId that fits it! :cry:

I asked about it in their chat, and they said no. I told them that made me sad, so they sent me a picture to cheer me up:

ae0i4nbitzn5.png

Clever distraction... but I still have no RoadId. :cry:

The one for my AppleWatch ALMOST fit. I think I will try heating it up with my torch and bending it a bit.

HAHAHAHAHA! What a fluffy creature!

My roadID is a separate band. I like it very much that way. I would wear it on motorcycle rides, I keep it in my car and I have it traveling, not only when I wear my Garmin.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I don't know about all marathon runners birthday edge, but I know the hottest runners were born in August...just sayin'

@skippygirlsmom Darn right!!!

I am so supprised that NO ONE has claimed that August birthday. Who are these "Hotties"?