Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I thought I'd chuck the link to the discussion we had a few weeks ago about the MATADOR study in here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604391/intermittent-vs-continuous-weight-loss/p1

It crossed my mind to do that but I didn't cuz this is your thread!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Damn, that's quite the ride, @anubis609!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

We’re almost the same, except you have a couple more inches in height to play with lol. I’m 5’9”, 35, hovering around 175 (with wild swings in either direction depending on weekend feeds and the 3-4 day depletion that follows), and visual estimation of body fat around 16-18% depending on the day.

I blew right through the 200s coming from an extremely diabetic 330 following a severely reduced calorie intake, and had to recover when I was an emaciated, skinny-fat guy at 168, but reversed diabetes and all metabolic risk factors.

I maintained around 185-190 for the length of my engagement - about 5.5 years, no specific diet other than protein focused, lower carb mixed meals, and since I was mostly eyeballing everything, I can only guesstimate my average intake was about 2500 maybe? If the scale tipped past 190, I’d restrict calories to 1600-1800 for a few weeks, throw in some calisthenics and tennis, and be back to not counting.

Two years ago I noticed fasting glucose was steadily creeping up, so after my engagement dissolved, I went full keto for a little over a year (reduced carbs to <30g but kept fat intake within reason, and maintained protein at about 120g on average), minding macros, food quality, nutrient density, etc., and just becoming entrenched in biochemistry, metabolism, fatty acid regulation, nutrient partitioning, and mitochondrial health.

Long story made less long, I went through the entire cycle of disrupting metabolic response from one extreme to the other, found out why manipulating macros causes different physiologic processes to respond in certain ways, and came to the conclusion that energy balance and activity dictates most things ever discussed anywhere across the history of nutrition and disease. Now I’m a dietary agnostic, recovering from substance abuse addiction and ED, unmedicated bipolar II hypomanic (partly why Lyle and I get along :sweat_smile:) rando online entity with a personal preference for nutrient density and lowish carbs (in regard to glucose management).

Wow, that is a bit crazy. Thanks for sharing.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Didn't see it mentioned in discussions regarding estimating TDEE here.

Sounds like some good historical records available. Add a column for your personal activity multiplier, perhaps season.
    Estimated TDEE / BMR for the weight at the time = activity multiplier.

That can be used for current weight and seasons to hone in closer to current TDEE potential.

I've found many through the years have great records - but seasons and decent weight changes are hard to apply past TDEE to current needs.

Just a thought.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going to read this whole thing, but haven't and have a question. I noticed you mentioned podcasts are available on itunes. Do you know if they are available for Android? And I apologize if this has been asked and answered.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

We’re almost the same, except you have a couple more inches in height to play with lol. I’m 5’9”, 35, hovering around 175 (with wild swings in either direction depending on weekend feeds and the 3-4 day depletion that follows), and visual estimation of body fat around 16-18% depending on the day.

I blew right through the 200s coming from an extremely diabetic 330 following a severely reduced calorie intake, and had to recover when I was an emaciated, skinny-fat guy at 168, but reversed diabetes and all metabolic risk factors.

I maintained around 185-190 for the length of my engagement - about 5.5 years, no specific diet other than protein focused, lower carb mixed meals, and since I was mostly eyeballing everything, I can only guesstimate my average intake was about 2500 maybe? If the scale tipped past 190, I’d restrict calories to 1600-1800 for a few weeks, throw in some calisthenics and tennis, and be back to not counting.

Two years ago I noticed fasting glucose was steadily creeping up, so after my engagement dissolved, I went full keto for a little over a year (reduced carbs to <30g but kept fat intake within reason, and maintained protein at about 120g on average), minding macros, food quality, nutrient density, etc., and just becoming entrenched in biochemistry, metabolism, fatty acid regulation, nutrient partitioning, and mitochondrial health.

Long story made less long, I went through the entire cycle of disrupting metabolic response from one extreme to the other, found out why manipulating macros causes different physiologic processes to respond in certain ways, and came to the conclusion that energy balance and activity dictates most things ever discussed anywhere across the history of nutrition and disease. Now I’m a dietary agnostic, recovering from substance abuse addiction and ED, unmedicated bipolar II hypomanic (partly why Lyle and I get along :sweat_smile:) rando online entity with a personal preference for nutrient density and lowish carbs (in regard to glucose management).

Wow, that is a bit crazy. Thanks for sharing.

Lol thanks @Nony_Mouse and @psuLemon

I realized I just added more than necessary, but as I was typing I had this infomercial moment of "but wait, there's more!" :D I ramble on when the mania kicks in ♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
    I woke up having an epiphany that I did indeed math wrong. So that's the bad news. The good news is that I do still seem to have about 150 extra calories than would generally be expected from my numbers. So still good news!

And I am cruising into my weekend refeed fairly painlessly so far. I think because I naturally lean towards having a day or two higher formalising it and maintaining a slightly higher deficit during the week to allow for it is working for me psychologically. But that's a bit premature really. Ask me again in 8 weeks.

That's practically my strategy going into the weekend refeeds as well. If it's working, that's all that matters :smile:
  • anubis609
    Options
    I'm going to read this whole thing, but haven't and have a question. I noticed you mentioned podcasts are available on itunes. Do you know if they are available for Android? And I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

Not sure if it's on Android, but it's usually dependent on the podcast host's choice of upload. This is link to the refeeds revisited podcast: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/podcasts/revive-stronger-podcast-refeeds-revisited.html/

And if you wanted to listen to any others he's done: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/podcasts/

Some of the others do include Android links, like those with Danny Lennon.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Not sure if it's on Android, but it's usually dependent on the podcast host's choice of upload. This is link to the refeeds revisited podcast: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/podcasts/revive-stronger-podcast-refeeds-revisited.html/

And if you wanted to listen to any others he's done: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/podcasts/

Thanks. Looks like it's youtube for me :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

A quick Google says it's doable, esp if you have Dropbox or Google Drive on your phone and laptop/desktop, download to there then play, I think. Only just up and one coffee in, so I haven't had a play with it yet. I also need to remember my Apple id in order to download :p
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

A quick Google says it's doable, esp if you have Dropbox or Google Drive on your phone and laptop/desktop, download to there then play, I think. Only just up and one coffee in, so I haven't had a play with it yet. I also need to remember my Apple id in order to download :p

I'd have to get an iTunes account. Youtube will be fine. Just take a couple of days to get through.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I'd have to get an iTunes account. Youtube will be fine. Just take a couple of days to get through.

Until you spot another you want to listen to, and another, and another, and another...:p

I often listen to them when I'm cooking and/or eating dinner, but I'm single, so I get to do stuff like that :)
  • anubis609
    Options

Until you spot another you want to listen to, and another, and another, and another...:p

I often listen to them when I'm cooking and/or eating dinner, but I'm single, so I get to do stuff like that :)

Ah, yes.. the youtube rabbit hole lol
  • anubis609
    Options
    That's excellent. Proof that science is legit (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Refeeding I find to be a fascinating topic that I have only recently discovered but which has resonated with a personal experience that I had not terribly long ago. I have only been on maintenance a very short time, but like 5-6 weeks ago when I was still cutting like a madman I remember one Sunday after my long run I just snapped. I had been going pretty hardcore for a solid month and I finally just gave up on tracking that day and went to town on food. I would guess I was probably in the ballpark of at least 5-6000 calories that day (I wish I would of tracked it now).

Anyway, as you might expect I felt guilty as hell the next day, so I went right back to grindstone. Work, run, eat, sleep, repeat. The following Sunday when I went to weight I figured it was going to be a "treading water" week since I had screwed up so hardcore that one day. Nope. I dropped 2 and a half pounds which was more than normal even on balls to the wall weeks. At the time I blew it off as an aberration, as I have had plenty of weird things happen over the course of my tenure in this game, but after hearing about this concept it does now make me pause for thought.