WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Saw my young friend off, roasted beets, baked beef ribs, made salad and utterly collapsed. Got no walking in at all :s Tomorrow will do the first leg (House down to lane and back UP) before church. Then it's tackle the laundry mountain, now that the cistern is brimming.

1st wk avg 1698 calories so will aim for 1600 max daily week 2, then reassess to meet the 2-300 cal reduction Rx.

Emoji selection more limited than I remember, could it be a function of the browser? Switched from IE to Firefox.

Machka, Brilliant! I envy you your creativity ;)
    Terry, you GO gal! <3
    Lanette, we do have a new Dr. as moving here Labor Day weekend put me in hospital with blood clots in my leg. I've only seen him once and he did favorably impress me despite looking about 11 yrs old... You'll see his initial rx below my signature. Tackling one bit at a time. B) Snow? Oh NO! :o
    KollenS What a great mantra! Any hobbies, favorite activites or pets? :)
    Tammy from AZ "give menopause its gift of pounds back" Love it! :p
    Lenora Barbiecat downloaded the audiobook from her library, I'm another Barbara... ;) sorry to confuse.
    nutrition info from https://www.nugonutrition.com/ but you can buy them for less from Amazon or Jet. The Organic Dark with almonds is good too... Spicy:==============Pretzel with Sea Salt
    i2yfng0dm3g4.png

Rye your cat is much prettier than Garfield ;)
    Karen, miracle baby! o:)
    Sharon, what an artist your Jheri is! :*
    Becca Dark Shadows every day after school? Me too! >:)
    DJ we love you too! <3

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD who is grateful to be feeling a little better every day.
    Rx aim log, cod liver oil and bp daily, yog/prob twice daily, 80% rule, line dance, Nov 4 reduce 2-300 cals daily from average.
    done: log=7, clo=6, yogx1=4
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Today was Day 3 of our 3-day event. Today's ride was 100 km. The 4 riders who completed the whole weekend cycled over 300 km over the weekend. Well done to them all!

Meanwhile, my husband and I got in a short and windy ride after the event. We were supporting the event (and I was studying) so we weren't riding it.

Distance: 20.5 km
    Elevation: 119 m
    Moving Time: 1:06:17
    Elapsed Time: 1:07:40
    Avg Max
    Speed: Avg: 18.6 km/h | Max: 49.0 km/h
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    These are the only two costume photos I have.

This is me as Peter Pan ...

1522032088_c6c4361449.jpg

And me as Medusa ... with snakes in my hair and around my neck ...

1521167841_e9b6b1933b_b.jpg

Machka in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Morning sweet friends
    Have Homer in my lap and a cup of tea and granddaughter still snoozing so all is right in the world right.now..
    It is supposed to be rainy and yucky today but will.do Taliahs make up and take her trick or treating here then home...will take Homer back earlier as he has some eye irritation and his meds are at Tom's

Then coming home and cleaning and doing laundry.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! I read posts yesterday, but didn't have time to comment. Usual Saturday busyness going on. Shopping, errands run, (it was a rainy day-no outdoor chores) cleaning house and meal prep and baking. I made a chipotle chicken shred in the crock pot. Not sure what I am going to use it for, yet; but I am sure I will think of something. Made my curried butternut squash and pear soup, pumpkin muffins, and banana bread; then washed and prepped all of my veg for the week. Pretty tired come dinner time. DH and I had soup and muffins for dinner.
    If it doesn't rain today, I will get outside and get the house ready for winter (hose put away, pipes drained and spigots covered, ac unit covered, and the back window of the house "wrapped" with that plastic shrink wrap stuff. That back window is very cold in the winter even though it is sheltered from the wind and weather. Wrapping it seems to keep it a few degrees warmer. I also have about six hours of daycare planning (November/December calendars) and paperwork to get done.

Welcome new girls!
    Karen VA- Olivia is a doll baby! And like Heather, I think of her very rough start every time I see her sweet face! o:)
    Janet- Love the pic of your granddaughter, also! She looks so big! She looks like she is a busy girl! <3
    Rye- Got a giggle from your cat on the screen. The cat my family had when I was growing up, used to do that when he was outside and wanted in. We would open up the big door and there he would be hanging on the screen door, staring in our faces. He was a good one for bringing us "surprises".

I love all of the Halloween costumes and the face painting is fantastic! When I was younger, my mom became a born again christian, so I had a few years in my youth where we didn't celebrate Halloween. But I remember the few that I did get to dress up and go out trick or treating. I let my own kids dress up and trick or treat, even though I am a Christian. It is an odd holiday. Because I am a childcare provider- we don't do scary here. We read Halloween children's books, make halloween crafts, eat halloween treats; but the kids aren't allowed to dress up as scary or gory things. I try not to dress as anything that would scare them, which means= no masks or face paint that would make me unrecognizable. Unfortunately my dream costumes are usually scarier ones (well, scary for kids), like Ursula (I love it!) or Maleficent. IF, I can get everything done today that I need to do, I will work on my costume. I hope to go as The Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (movie). The costume itself isn't too hard, but I want to turn my wagon into the little "jail wagon" the child catcher uses. The kids won't really have a clue who I am, but I think their parents will. Even though this character gave me more nightmares than the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz, I think because the kids haven't seen it, they will be okay. Plus...what kid doesn't like a character you holds candy and says " Lollipops! Ice Cream! Cakes and Candies! All Free Today!" >:)

audiobooks- I love the idea of audio books, so that you can multi task. Or listen to a book while you drive. I tried this once and the problem I had was I get so caught up in the story that I can't focus fully on whatever I am doing. I read "the Girl" (two of them) on audio books while I would work out at the gym. As I listened, my speed on the treadmill would slow to a walk as I got more engrossed in what I was hearing. lol For those books, the audio was a great help with the foreign words and pronunciations. I think it was Swedish. One of my best "book" memories with my own kids involves a book and tape set that we borrowed when the kids were young. We were traveling during the Christmas season, and I have a vivid memory of my kids sitting in the tub, after a day of playing outside in the snow, and I was on the floor of the bathroom holding the book and we were listening to William Hurt narrate The Polar Express. This was Looooong before they released the movie. So...it was a magical book and William Hurt's voice brought everything to life. My kids also remember this and for that reason; they were a bit disappointed in the movie when it came out. The Polar Express Movie is a staple in my childcare home. I think I like it because it is not about Santa. It is, but it isn't. Don't get me started on Santa. You will not find a Santa in my home during Christmas. Santa is a good story, but not where I want the focus.

Anyway, time to get busy. 7:52 am and it is till dark out. Winter is coming. Daylight Savings Time is next week! Hey Penny! Does Longyearbyen participate in daylight savings?

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS to Penny and soon to Terry. :D<3 Every pound is a hard won victory!

Next door called round to get their toy drone back. We discussed the planning application for two houses next to them. It is part of the garden that the previous owner kept back. No one is happy about it. This lane is rural and not scheduled for development. We told them it had made us think again about moving, but only if it all was easy. I think it is unlikely. The guy may not get permission. A couple of developments round here have been turned down. This weasel has continued being on the Parish Council even though he has moved away. ÷×+=%#!!!!
    I told the 10 year old that we would welcome her on Halloween.

We moved the big dresser back against the stairs and refilled it with my inherited crockery. It used to also have my cookery books and recipe folders in it, but I've sorted those into two piles - ones I use and ones I rarely do, and kept the first lot accessible and the others in a box to be stored somewhere. I threw away all my saved magazine recipes, unless they were filed and used. These days I mainly use the Internet. Just got to put my 17th century Portuguese tiles back on the top so you can see them coming down the stairs. :D Good job.

Now on to the pigs' cheeks. :drinker:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning a cozy, wet day here in my neck of NY. I have plenty of house chores and meal prep to do to keep busy today. Slept in as well. I am using coconut oil on my neck for the rash, still itchy and the coritsone cream seems like a bust, but I've got to give it time.

Yogurt is going in the instantpot, once that is done I'll prep my bone broth and finally my red lentil soup for the week. Should be a pretty good week, my students will all be excited for halloween and I have a late night of auditions on Thursday. I told my family about my T-Day decision and all seem to agree that taking it easy instead is a great decision.

NYKAREN
  • leanerstrongerhealthier
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

@fanncy0626 Mary I want to start using my kettlebells. I have 2-5, 10 and 15. I need to start slowly as I fell and hurt my back and knee. I am going to start with the Goblet Squats and Russian KB Swings every other day. Maybe begin with..

Goblet Squats 3x10x10
    Russian Kettlebell Swings 4x10x10

In your opinion:
    Will every other day be sufficient to see results? And get stronger?
    How do I progress slowly exactly? With adding weight/ reps?

Excuse me.. if you have answered this above I have yet to read.

*Thanks

I think starting out slow is a very good idea and doing it every other day to begin with will build up your strength. My suggestion is that you follow the program as written for now.

I have been following this program for two years now. I use a 35 pound kettle bell. I definitely feel it when I do the goblet squats. I make sure I go slowly up and down and feel it in my legs. Make sure you push off your heels. Determine what weight you should start with. Do the lowest weight Kettlebell first. Go through workout day 1, Week 1.
    Goblet squat- 3 sets X 5 squats X 5lb kettlebell
    Russian Kettlebell Swing - 10 sets X 7 swings X 5lbs
    Day 2.
    Rest Day
    Day3
    If the 5 lb was too light repeat day 1 with the 10 lb Kettlebell. If it seemed like a challenge do Day 4 of program.
    Goblet squat- 3 sets X 5 squats X 5lb kettlebell
    Russian Kettlebell Swing - 13 sets X 7 swings X 5lbs

Notice you would be increasing the number of sets.
    Thank you- thank you Mary!! I sat down and wrote out a weeks worth of workouts following your plan . Its enough to get me started. So if I use a 5 lb kettlebell that is for the whole 4 week program ( which is longer doing every other day) increasing the next round to 10 lbs?

You're welcome! I would definitely start with the 5 pound kettle bell since you are injured. If that is too heavy though I would go down to your 3 pound. Remember you can adjust the program to fit your ability level. Sometimes I only go up by 1 or 2 sets instead of three now that I'm using a heavier kettle bell. When you get to the end of your four weeks you can try the 10 pound kettle bell to see how it feels. Or, you can instead repeat the four week program doing 10 swings instead of seven to build strength if needed. Progressive overload means that you are constantly increasing either the number of swings or the weight of the kettle bell. The nice thing about this is that you are in charge. Good luck I know you're going to do fantastic!

Kettlebell Workout
    Morning workout
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X7X 35
    Alternating press-4 X 5,4,3,2X35
    Modified pull-up-4X5,4,3,2Xbodyweight
    Evening workout
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-18X7X35

Mary from Arizona

Hi Everyone!

Thanks Mary..Sounds like the skys the limit with progressive overload! I was looking at WM, heavier kettle are really reasonable..20lbs, 25lbs are at $22ish and 30lbs at $27 with free pickup. I think I am going to give it a go today. :)

leanerstrongerhealthier in chilly AZ
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rainy and windy today..so indoor activities for Tal and I will bring Homer back to Tom's in a bit now Tal woke up she is having a bagel and cocoa.
    Taliah loves it here at my condo..she says because it is quiet.i said it was quite at the house and she said no not with Grandpa there.. well there it is in a nut shell..both Tom and her parents yell at each other or sometimes at her when she doesn't listen...so that is why she likes the quiet at Grandma's .that says alot doesn't it?

Yes, it speaks volumes. Tal will feel she has a safe haven with grandma, how wonderful is that??? <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sharon in Lethbridge: WOW!!! Did you do your own make up? :star::star::star:

Allie: Isn't trick or treat on Wednesday? That is what I'm anticipating. I have candy on hand so if we get any trick or treaters we're good to go. It is unlikely we'll have any. There are only two young children in our townlhouse community. :ohwell:

Heather: Congrats on the weightloss in Glasgow. Losing weight, or even maintaining, is difficult while travelling. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Penny: Congratulations on the loss! You are heading in a good direction. Regarding trick or treat, ask your DH to take a photo of himself so you can see, and share it with the rest of us. :bigsmile:

Heather: I am personally aggravated by the loss of privacy caused by drones. I haven't seen any in use lately. I hope it will be a fad that fades back into the shadows. :grumble: I can see them as useful tools in responsible hands, firefighters scouting a blaze are a good example. :star:

I have been in and out of our bedroom several times this morning, and am feeling good about the color we chose. I don't expect the painter back to finish up until tomorrow, and that is aggravating although understandable. Imagine emptying your bedroom and closets of everything and finding a place to put in it a 2 bedroom townhouse. We don't expect him back before tomorrow because his other job is as the pastor of a church and he's likely having a busy day today.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla "Allie: Isn't trick or treat on Wednesday? That is what I'm anticipating. I have candy on hand so if we get any trick or treaters we're good to go. It is unlikely we'll have any. There are only two young children in our townlhouse community."

Holloween is TUESDAY, Oct. 31. :)

Janetr OKC
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Penny Those ginormous footprints in the snow gave me goosepimples, imagining the mighty beast that made them...scarier than Halloween!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :#
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lenora- glad you are joining us! Let me know if you need any information.

Wendy- that's one thing nice about the workout is that you can modify it to fit for even that one day! The presses are harder and I go lighter as well!

@leanerstrongerhealthier I ordered mine online from WM and I bought 40 pounds, 45 pound, and a 50 pound at $120 for all three. That really was a good deal for that amount of weight. A good rule of thumb for purchase of any type of weight is they usually sell them for $1 a pound so the kettle bell that you are looking at are priced very fairly! You might want to check out though to see if they have a special price for the purchase of three at that weight amount. I know that I actually had to scroll down on the site before I came to the 3 for offer.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Penny Those ginormous footprints in the snow gave me goosepimples, imagining the mighty beast that made them...scarier than Halloween!

No kidding.... Penny, is that Bigfoot? Love that crunchy, sparkly snow!!

Lanette
    Soggy SW WA State where the snow prediction for next weekend went away...