Do you wear you wedding ring to the gym?

Options

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I wear mine but I also wear gloves. My husband takes his off. It doesn't bother me.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear my wedding ring to the gym in a million years. And it has nothing to do with being unfaithful or wanting guys to check me out. That ring is just a symbol of the love and commitment to my husband, but not the real thing. However, I don't want to do anything that could tarnish it or lose any part of it. I know how I feel about him and if I ever got hit on, I would respectfully decline whether or not I was wearing it.

So if you want to preserve its physical appearance, don't wear it. If anyone has an issue with it, that's their own problem. :)

Yep ... the REAL wedding ring is in your heart. Good thought!

(That said, I always wear mine, even when I'm lifting. I suppose the knurled bar must scratch it, although, looking at it now, I don't see any scratches. Absent-minded as I am, if I start routinely taking that ring off, I give myself about a week -- at the outside! -- before I leave it someplace and lose it.)
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    My husband hates wearing his to work. He works with heavy machinery and always wears gloves and he has lost it many times in the gloves too. I dont mind that he doesn't because we he works with all dudes haha.

I can totally understand why you don't want to wear it while lifting, probably super uncomfortable and rubs the ring anyway. If you were taking it off to go like...grocery shopping haha then thats a different story. But I see no problem in you not wearing it to the gym.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my ring off in the nearly 10 years we've been married. Just tried to take it off... and it's not going anywhere. It's scuffed up, a little discolored and not perfectly shaped anymore... but neither are the two of us! :laugh:
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    im not married, but i do wear another type of ring - its called an 'iron ring' in my right pinky.

just used to having it there - doesnt bug me anymore

i had to look up "iron ring" very cool symbolism!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Nope, I take it off. It's too loose on my finger and when I play basketball it falls off. Plus it gets in the "weigh" when I lift. HA that's so stupid to say.

Thank you.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't wear them either. He's a mechanic and it's dangerous at work. We found them to be more than a pain than they are worth. And when someone says something it's easy enough to say "not interested."

Aside from that - you'd be shocked at how many people seek out married people anyway. We have been happily married for 20 years- ring-less for 15. The only ones who ever say anything about the fact that we don't use rings are my family. It drives my grandmother absolutely crazy.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Not married, but even if I was, I wouldn't wear my ring at the gym. I've seen too many people get them caught on something or have them smashed, scratched and/or otherwise ruined.

I wear a promise ring on my left hand and a claddah on my right - both come off when i'm lifting, swimming, rowing, etc. They go on a thin chain around my neck that is tucked into my workout top and short enough not to risk getting caught in anything.

I never assume someone's marital status in the gym. And I don't think its being unfaithful to your spouse to remove a ring to keep it safe - I think it shows respect and pride in the symbol of your relationship.
  • lissarv68
    Options
    My husband takes his off and puts it on his ID tags when he's on the ship. He'd rather not lose a finger because of a ring. He takes his off whenever he's at the gym on the ship.

I'm considering taking mine off because I'm scared of losing them when I'm exercising. I've lost so much weight that they are really lose but I'm not done losing so I don't want to get them resized only to get them resized again later.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I don't have to worry about if I wear it or not. I have my husband's name as a tattoo on my ring finger.

He works for a company that builds rock crushing equipment. When he was in the shop they weren't allow to wear them for safety reasons (welding, grinding, etc...) He was very angry that he wasn't allowed to wear it so we came up with the idea that we'd get tats. We have gotten so many comments about it now we never wear our rings just our tats. However if he ever needs to hide that he has tats (1 of 13) he just puts the ring on and it covers it. Earlier this spring he got a new job and is in the actual field working still with the same company. He can wear it now but instead just looks at the tat.

PS- I know it sounds a little crazy to get a tat but we're growing old together! I have no doubt in it! 10 yrs married and counting!

I love it! I know several folks that have had tattooed wedding rings, what a great way to show committment! If hubby wasn't freaked about needles I would like to do the same. Hmm, might work on him for next anniversary (LoL).
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    No i dont
  • AlyAnt26
    AlyAnt26 Posts: 58
    Options
    I do in my classes, but not lifting. My Hubby doesn't either...scratches them up!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Definitely ask your wife... It'd really bug me if I noticed my husband wasn't wearing his. Same goes for me, I've forgotten to put it back on after a swim and it made him sad
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    That reminds me, forgot to wear mine today. But when I wear it, I always take it off to work out, shower, sleep... just wear it during the day. Sometimes, I don't wear it to family functions because I like to hear people whisper about my relationship :bigsmile:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Not married but I wouldn't wear it while lifting. I don't use gloves and the ring would get scratched to hell.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't normally, but once I forgot to take it off...and not to be biased or anything, but it's damn nice...it was the only time guys checked me out, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't sexual, but wondering how to get it off my finger without killing me lol
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I did when I went to the gym. It was really just to get guys to leave me alone, otherwise I wouldn't have worn it there. Before I got engaged I had guys trying to "help" me on machines or asking me on dates. It got really annoying. I was there to workout, obviously not to get a date.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It would never occur to me to have it bother me. I don't take mine off because I am terrified I will lose it.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I always wear it.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It's scuffed up, a little discolored and not perfectly shaped anymore... but neither are the two of us! :laugh:

I love this. :happy:

We work out at home, no gym membership. But neither of us take our rings off. They're a bit scuffed and scratched, but that's just not a big deal. The only time my rings come off (other than when pregnancy bloat forced mine off for a couple months) is when I dye my hair and the metal could cause issues with the process.