Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Day one of strong curves finally done. Way too easy, like I don't even feel like I've worked out, so I need to put some thought into that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to start with more resistance than prescribed?

My first proper refeed weekend has been most enjoyable. Literally haven't had brutal bodyweight intervals feel that awesome in ages. Yay carbs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Ha, did that, and max reps (over on some things). Only thing I was 'ow!' on was side lying abductions, though felt the box squats. I really should have gone higher on push ups. Glute bridges were way too easy, even with 5kg of weight, so I guess I'm sticking more plates on a dumbbell. Inverted rows made tricky by needing to do them in the hallway (sheet over door) so the door didn't fly open, and hall is narrow. Basically I need to sub those with something else, though it did just occur to me that using the front door would give me more space, but either resistance bands with a door thingy or a suspension system would far surpass the sheet method.

Jelly of your brutal bodyweight intervals, and yay for feeling awesome!!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Weighted glute bridges always feel easy to me too. Until the next day. Saying that, you could probably most definitely go higher than 5kg. IIRC, I started them with a 25 lb dumbbell, but I had been doing them with resistance bands prior to that.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Weighted glute bridges always feel easy to me too. Until the next day. Saying that, you could probably most definitely go higher than 5kg. IIRC, I started them with a 25 lb dumbbell, but I had been doing them with resistance bands prior to that.

May I ask a dumb question? How do you do weighted glute bridges with a dumbbell?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Is it possible to switch out bridges for thrusts or is that messing with the program? Because I feel those 500x more than bridges. My issue with things like that is I can can probably use a much heavier weight but trying to haul those dumbbells onto and off my hips is a PITA past a certain weight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Oh yeah, I should use my resistance band too. Duh. I've been doing feet elevated hip thrusts with a 4kg dumbbell for a week or so prior, so should have known it wouldn't be enough. I'm on a fitness equipment mission today, cos I need a chin up bar and swiss ball for tomorrow, I was eyeing up a full resistance band set with all the bells and whistles, but it's kinda spency. I also know from experience not to cheap out on those though. I would question whether my accountant would let me call it a business expense, but I already know the answer is 'no' :p.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

May I ask a dumb question? How do you do weighted glute bridges with a dumbbell?

The same way you'd do a barbell one. You put it across your pelvis and just sort of stabilize it there without really letting your hands bear the weight.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

Hold dumbbell on hips/lower abdomen, pretty much.
    Is it possible to switch out bridges for thrusts or is that messing with the program? Because I feel those 500x more than bridges. My issue with things like that is I can can probably use a much heavier weight but trying to haul those dumbbells onto and off my hips is a PITA past a certain weight.

I seem to recall reading in the book that you should do both, because they work slightly different things. I think...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Even funnier, I used my medicine ball for sets 2 and 3. Should have not been so lazy and just put bigger plates on the damn dumbbell.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Now I prefer bridges to thrusts because bridges don't engage the quads as much. My quads get enough work out from running, yanno? I'm also short and a good height set up for me to do hip thrusts is problematic. When I tried them at the gym when I used to go, I did them on stacked aerobic steps. A weight bench or even a couch is too high.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Now I prefer bridges to thrusts because bridges don't engage the quads as much. My quads get enough work out from running, yanno? I'm also short and a good height set up for me to do hip thrusts is problematic. When I tried them at the gym when I used to go, I did them on stacked aerobic steps. A weight bench or even a couch is too high.

My knees just get really squeamish about bridges, I have to wriggle about a bit to get it feeling alright and then poof, I'm done. Although I don't actually often switch them. But when I do thrusts I actually am sore the next day and really feel it during in a way I don't on bridges. Maybe I'll see about adding a loop along with the dumbbell to more easily up the resistance next time.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

My knees just get really squeamish about bridges, I have to wriggle about a bit to get it feeling alright and then poof, I'm done. Although I don't actually often switch them. But when I do thrusts I actually am sore the next day and really feel it during in a way I don't on bridges. Maybe I'll see about adding a loop along with the dumbbell to more easily up the resistance next time.

For me, I've found that activating your glutes during bridges is about doing a pelvic tilt so you flatten your spine before you tilt.

Oh... just searched... Bret Contreras recommends doing just this for full glute activation.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

For me, I've found that activating your glutes during bridges is about doing a pelvic tilt so you flatten your spine before you tilt.

Oh... just searched... Bret Contreras recommends doing just this for full glute activation.

I think it's just a ROM thing for me. I can activate my glutes fine it's the not using a heavy enough weight or knee dependant how far I push my hips up. I'm trying some frog pumps as a switch at the moment too for funsies.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    @Luna3386 check out the Fat Loss for Women podcast that was posted a couple of pages back. Also the Abbey Orr ones which you can find on bodyrecomposition.com (just search 'abbey orr' and they'll come up), the second one in particular talks more about the average dieter, but the ones on women's fat loss in general, while often aimed more at competitors, have a ton of very useful info.

Listened to the first one. Very good. Not sure how to apply, as I try to keep things as simple as possible. I'm not sure if I want to change things around depending on the week. But it helps me understand myself: why I struggle with my blood sugar at certain times, or why I can be extra clumsy.

I had already switched over to tracking progress monthly, because daily fluctuations on the scale were driving me nuts! And that also never helped with adherence.

But it does show me I'm on right path. I left fad and crash diets in the past a few years ago and I will never, ever go back. Focusing on lifting and protein and patience. :)

My first refeed has been a huge success: just from a psychological and energy perspective. Normally my energy levels are in the toilet but I've been far more entergetic this weekend. I was down in weight a little after 1 day but even if I was up by a few it would still be worth it. Looking forward to lifting even more than I usually do tomorrow. I think the hardest part will be going back into my deficit... But I hope the carbs keep my energy up for a few more days.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

The same way you'd do a barbell one. You put it across your pelvis and just sort of stabilize it there without really letting your hands bear the weight.

Thank you. I had never thought to do it that way, but I actually just started doing them.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    @Luna3386 check out the Fat Loss for Women podcast that was posted a couple of pages back. Also the Abbey Orr ones which you can find on bodyrecomposition.com (just search 'abbey orr' and they'll come up), the second one in particular talks more about the average dieter, but the ones on women's fat loss in general, while often aimed more at competitors, have a ton of very useful info.

Listened to the first one. Very good. Not sure how to apply, as I try to keep things as simple as possible. I'm not sure if I want to change things around depending on the week. But it helps me understand myself: why I struggle with my blood sugar at certain times, or why I can be extra clumsy.

I had already switched over to tracking progress monthly, because daily fluctuations on the scale were driving me nuts! And that also never helped with adherence.

But it does show me I'm on right path. I left fad and crash diets in the past a few years ago and I will never, ever go back. Focusing on lifting and protein and patience. :)

My first refeed has been a huge success: just from a psychological and energy perspective. Normally my energy levels are in the toilet but I've been far more entergetic this weekend. I was down in weight a little after 1 day but even if I was up by a few it would still be worth it. Looking forward to lifting even more than I usually do tomorrow. I think the hardest part will be going back into my deficit... But I hope the carbs keep my energy up for a few more days.

Yeah, I'm not worrying too much about altering macros according to phase atm, maybe once I have my hot little hands on the book I'll play around. I did do the snacking on pieces of apple during pms the other week to level blood sugar. And that clumsiness thing was like 'ohhhhh!'. Yeah, that's me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I think it's just a ROM thing for me. I can activate my glutes fine it's the not using a heavy enough weight or knee dependant how far I push my hips up. I'm trying some frog pumps as a switch at the moment too for funsies.

You should be brilliant at those! For those I find that turnout influences glute activation.