Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I got mine - had a small lupus flare in response to it, which is not uncommon for people with lupus - it sounds bad until you realize that having full-fledged flu would almost certainly have caused a severe lupus flare. Since a flare for me typically means circulatory system inflammation, vasculitis, and heart problems severe enough to make me bedridden for days, the little flare I had - headaches and vasculitis spots on my feet for a few days - is definitely a bargain. Here's hoping that our vaccine this year is a better match in the Northern Hemisphere than it has been in Australia, they had a terrible flu season this year.
  • GettinFitInMN
    GettinFitInMN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For. Every doctor I know says get it. I didn't one year and was out of work sick for a whole week. Never missed it after that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    On the point about egg intolerance/ allergies - it is true that glue vaccine is cultivated in egg culture.

However the amount in the vaccine is absolutely minimal.

Unless you have an anaphylactic reaction to the tiniest contact with egg particles - extremely rare in adults - then you can safely have flu vaccine.

People who get a rash or get nausea, bloating etc from eating eggs are sometimes avoiding flu vaccine completely unneccesarily.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://medsask.usask.ca/documents/newsletters/33.4%20annual_flu_immunization.pdf

".....Dr. Skowronski’s group reported that study participants who received the 2014–2015
    vaccine without vaccination the year before had significant protection against influenza A(H3N2) but those who
    had received the identical 2013-2014 vaccine the previous year had no increased protection and those who were
    vaccinated three years in a row actually had an increased risk of contracting influenza compared with unvaccinated
    participants......

This is not the first study to find an association between previous vaccination and reduced vaccine effectiveness......"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    LOL autocorrect glue vaccine. I wonder what Siri must think of human viruses?
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wonder, as this thread is still rambling on on this particular website... what would the effect on public health be if all the effort expended on increasing flu vaccine uptake was put into preventing obesity?
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I get the shot every year. When my now 18 year old daughter was 3 we got the flu at the same time. I’ve never been so sick. We were in bed for nearly 2 weeks and I dropped 15 pounds. It was awful- i do think my immunity is up because of that illness but I’ll try to avoid ever having the flu again
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make my kid get one, because I don't want to deal with him puking all over the place (mother-of-the-year material, I am). I get one because I hate puking. Hubby never gets one.

The flu shot doesn’t prevent the stomach flu/rotavirus.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I wonder, as this thread is still rambling on on this particular website... what would the effect on public health be if all the effort expended on increasing flu vaccine uptake was put into preventing obesity?

Totally unrelated. Would lowered obesity rates prevent flu deaths?

I’m anti death in all the ways it stalks us.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Totally unrelated. Would lowered obesity rates prevent flu deaths?

I’m anti death in all the ways it stalks us.

There's only ever a limited budget for these sort of things. Would we prevent more deaths (all causes) by focussing on flu or obesity? Or a combination thereof? Just a thought. Someone upthread said something like if it prevents just 1 death then it's worth it. But if you could prevent more deaths by doing something else with the time/money/effort? Death from flu is not the only measure I care about...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The cost benefit for vaccine programs are undisputed.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    There’s the clogging up of emergency rooms, lengthy hospitalizations, and lost work. I can think up three examples right away.

- The UK had a season where less of the population got the jab than the rest of the EU. Let’s just say it was an expensive year.
    - There’s a Toronto study where the cost benefit was worked out.
    - And here in my home province a study was done after the fact for two nursing homes where one was mostly immunized and the other not. A major impact was on the staffing of the non immunized home. At times the staffing was so short that nurses had to come in if they could at least stand up. My doctor-sister witnessed patients helping their nurse walk the hallway.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

hahaha, didnt notice I wrote glue vaccine

I am world's worst typist - I remember I once wrote on this forum that we are all getting less excercise because we have cats. :o
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    FOR!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    https://medsask.usask.ca/documents/newsletters/33.4%20annual_flu_immunization.pdf

".....Dr. Skowronski’s group reported that study participants who received the 2014–2015
    vaccine without vaccination the year before had significant protection against influenza A(H3N2) but those who
    had received the identical 2013-2014 vaccine the previous year had no increased protection and those who were
    vaccinated three years in a row actually had an increased risk of contracting influenza compared with unvaccinated
    participants......

This is not the first study to find an association between previous vaccination and reduced vaccine effectiveness......"

Gale,

Literally about two sentences down from where you left off the opening paragraph says this "... According to expert reviewers from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC's) Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network and the Group Health Research Institute in Seattle, the research in this study was well done (3); however the study was observational in nature, therefore the role of chance, bias and confounding in the results cannot be ruled out (2)."

It's improper to only state the "facts" that support your opinion.

...I take ... the ... shots ... at both sides...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40800422/#Comment_40800422
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

What would it mean to focus that effort (which I think means money) on preventing obesity?

People become obese when they eat too many calories for a prolonged period. Everybody knows eating less and moving more is there way to prevent obesity. But most people don't want to do that. There isn't a shot to prevent obesity like there is with the flu. Are we going to put signs up saying "don't get fat?" Obesity has been going on for a while and we've been trying to stem it but not a lot of luck so far, what is it about not having flu shots that would suddenly make obesity prevention a success?
This discussion has been closed.