Lunchtable for the nerdy (warning: only nerdy people allowed)

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    WELL THAT SEEMS PRETTY CONVENIENT

It was.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    WELL THAT SEEMS PRETTY CONVENIENT

It was.

It wasn't.

You might laugh and think it's BS and stupid (which I do), but the reason why the angels (the eagles are angels) don't help when it makes sense is for virtue building...creating awesome people.

But...that is the reason for the deus ex machina eagle *kitten*.

They DO help at *just the right moment*

What God wants...God Gets. It's cruel. But, it's not a plot hole...rather, demonstration of very well thought out philosophy and theology...Tolkien was NOT happy with Christianity at this time.

Tolkien didn't like the Chronicles of Narnia and thought they were dumb and boorish (I agree). He had a very, very...different approach to thinking about life.

He felt like neo-pagan mysticism was a better explanation (aka, effective...he was Catholic...but wanted to capitalize on a wave of pagan interest...ya know...just like why Easter and Christmas exist. Why do we have our traditions?)...allowing for more artful expressions about life and meaning.

Ultimately...Tolkien was still devout. Just an artist. He got real upset by all accounts that when Lewis finally went Christian he joined the Church of England :D

Well, in any case, in the Bible, Narnia, or Middle Earth, the hero characters do not necessarily get help us when they think or feel they need rescuing. But they do get what they need.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    It's a story and Tolkien thought people liked to read about the adventure. He later goes into details but mostly he wanted the reader to just enjoy it and have a good book to read.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    kace_kay wrote: »
    coolraul07 wrote: »
    Anybody else excited for the Punisher on Netflix?

Yesssssss!
    ...especially after the letdown of "Iron Fist", but I had to watch that to prep for "The Defenders". "The Punisher" will hopefully bridge the gap until premier of "Daredevil" season 3.

Iron First was kinda bad to start but really grew on me! Can't wait for Punisher and Daredevil!

I haven't finished it but I'd heard so many negative reviews that when I started watching it I was pleasantly surprised.
    I readily admit that Iron Fist wasn't as bad as the reviews made it out to be, but it still wasn't good. The only reason I finished it was because I heard that "The Defenders" centered around him. As such, I binged it a couple weeks before the latter was released.

My new problems is "The Inhumans". It's getting panned worse than Iron Fist, but I'll probably binge it too just in case the new season of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." builds upon it.

I think I'm getting a "binge codependency" complex, or something...
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Oh my word, tolkien and marvel, someone hand me a pillow to hide my nerd boner
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    ...speaking of "nerd boner", I "exposed" the following on my wall yesterday... might as well "flash" you guys too.

I read that "Glass" will be released in Jan 2019 and it continues the story of 2000's "Unbreakable". Samuel L. Jackson is returning as "Mr. Glass" *nerdgasm* and Bruce Willis is also back as "David Dunn".

Apparently "Split" (2016) bridged the two movies, so I gotta watch that next.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    I watched Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice with my Son who's a big Nerd and tomorrow going to see The Justice League – Part One! I've watched pretty much every Marvel and DC Movie so I might actually be a Nerd! :tongue:
  • CaptainFantastic00
    I watched Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice with my Son who's a big Nerd and tomorrow going to see The Justice League – Part One! I've watched pretty much every Marvel and DC Movie so I might actually be a Nerd! :tongue:

Cuuute! Sorry you have to sit thriugh that
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Not good?
  • CaptainFantastic00
    Not good?

Now that you finished it you tell me
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Going tonight! We shall see!