What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• Birdygirl15
    Birdygirl15 Posts: 88 Member
    Aarjono wrote: »
    How great it is to be able to sleep on my stomach without feeling like a pufferfish.

Love this mental picture :D I'll be a pufferfish for a good while yet, but I look forward to feeling as you do :)
  • Birdygirl15
    Birdygirl15 Posts: 88 Member
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Haha according to her it was better for our spines too, so knowing that, whenever nobody's looking maybe just reach down there as you're about to sit and 'manually spread' so that you don't have to get back up and sit back down, at least until such time as things realign themselves to the correct position on their own? :)

The things I learn on here ..... :D I will squirrel away that tip for the happy day when that part of my anatomy is no longer padded out. B)

• lisamaroo
    lisamaroo Posts: 15 Member
    lisamaroo wrote: »
    No one told me that when you're tall and have a decent amount of weight to lose, your clothing size won't change much. I had lost 45 lbs last year and only went down one pant size. Probably didn't help that I had been stuffing myself into clothes too small for me to begin with. Needless to say it crushed me. How can you lose so much weight but still fit the same clothing? It kinda defeated me and I gained it all back. I am back on the wagon, 24 lbs down (1/4ish the way there) and not going to let that stop me now that I know it'll take a bit more for me to see a difference.

As a fellow tall person (6'1" heyyy) I hear you! It takes a while to go down the first few sizes but then it gets faster. I started at a 22 but I was an 18/20 for most of my weight loss journey. Then I quickly went to 16 and then 14 and suddenly the 14s are too big. Makes it a pain to buy pants, lol.

That was pretty much me! Started at a size 20 but squeezed my butt into 18's. I fit those 18's until I hit 45lbs and went down to a 16.

I think I'll stick to the tights I've been wearing, at least until I hit the half way mark.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    lisamaroo wrote: »
    No one told me that when you're tall and have a decent amount of weight to lose, your clothing size won't change much. I had lost 45 lbs last year and only went down one pant size. Probably didn't help that I had been stuffing myself into clothes too small for me to begin with. Needless to say it crushed me. How can you lose so much weight but still fit the same clothing? It kinda defeated me and I gained it all back. I am back on the wagon, 24 lbs down (1/4ish the way there) and not going to let that stop me now that I know it'll take a bit more for me to see a difference.

I'm 5'8" and I experienced this too! I must have been stuffing myself into my 14s because I lost 40 pounds and I'm still only in 12s lol. Oh well! My mom is 5"3" and she always said "Every ten pounds is a size" Uh, nope!
    Hah, it happens to us shorties too. I was wearing size 14 pants at 195 when I started and am wearing size 12 now about 35 lb lighter. I can squeeze into size 10 pants but they are not comfortable.

I keep thinking I have to be going down in pant size soon, don’t I?
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Nobody told me what it can do to the rest of my life.
    When I started this journey about 5 years ago I was not in a good place;
    I was in a job i liked in many ways and was not happy with in many others. On top of that 5 years ago my work was going through a restructuring phase and many well loved co-workers lost their jobs. I know I was safe as my charge-ability was well above average, but still it shook me to my cor. i felt very much out of control of my life/career and unhappy with the situation. this showed in my weight and meant a downward spiral.

I decided that what was happening to me required me to take charge of the one thing I could control and that was me. The first year went reasonably well Just taking a little more care, starting to walk to work, it did the trick for a little while.
    Just under 4 years ago I started logging on MFP. I had noticed before that logging always had helped me, but had never been able to find an easy way. I decided on a 3 month no added sugar break. Just to rid myself of some bad habits of over indulging and the’h it is only 1 (or 4) cookie.
    I increased my walking and went on my journey.

It brought me what I wanted; weightless and with it self-confidence that there was something I was in control of and that started to spill over in other parts of me. I allowed myself to consider that what was happening at work had been earth shattering for me and that the result of the restructuring was simply a very bad fit for me. I needed something else., but what.
    Let year with the help of external work related contacts and talking with them I found the confidence to start a 6 month post grad course (at 48!) OMG did I love that course the subject had a vague relationship to my job but really in showed me that I was capable of more than I could show at work and that I craved new things and learning. At the time I was not only studying I also held my job, though reduced to 4 days a week. It was a very hard course (involved a lot of advanced physics) and with my over the top workload and an under staffed department I have had my I need to cry moments.
    Six months later I graduated and I felt exhilarated. Not only had I achieved a new diploma, but in the process I still had maintained my logging and lost a few kgs to boot.
    While I was still waiting for my results I saw a job that just too perfect for words and a major step up in my career. Just one problem; I only met about half of the requirements.
    My newfound confidence made that instead of saying “I don’t qualify”, send in y application strongly focussing in my letter on what I could offer and I felt they needed. Much to my amazement I was invited to an interview.
    Yesterday I had my going away party for the ill fitting job. On december 1st I am starting that incredible job.

This summer I met my maintenance goal and I know that taking control of me, finding MFP as a tool, the support that I found here, plus my sports and lots and lots of walking has helped me to get there.My first step was finding my confidence back and that is what the weightless did.

So what nobody tells you really is that the weightless journey is part of a bigger journey and if you are willing to open up to that journey more amazing things can happen.

Wow! What an incredible and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing and congratulations,
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!