Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Good Lord a whole load of posts since I last checked this thread, I will sit down and read them when I have some free time

I'm now on day 121, 47lbs down, still dropping 2.9lbs per week on average eating 2000 cals per day

Still not seen a significant increase in hunger, I do need my meals come meal time though

Have scheduled diet break for Christmas time. Adding 700 cals per day.

If you're still losing 2.9lbs a week (which is too damn fast, but you seem determined not to listen on that), then an additional 700 cals is nowhere near going to bring you to maintenance. Ergo not a diet break because it won't do jack to bring hormones back in line. You need to be adding more like 1500 cals a day based on that rate of loss.

my weight loss is NOT 'too damn fast' tvm

I have serious medical issues and I need to drop the weight. I still have 89lbs to go and I do not want to be spending 18 months to lose it at a pound a week thanks. When I've got 30 to go I'm going to be doing a different plan anyway involving gaining mass

I competed at international level in judo in my teens & 20s and have a lot of experience in manipulating body composition. Just never done it from this start weight before. As it stands I don't even need a diet break, I can continue on 2000 for much longer yet. I'm only doing it over Xmas to avoid it being a pain for the rest of the family over the festivities.

This is not a struggle, I am not finding it difficult and I am planning my phases

As for eating 3500 calories a day that's just ridiculous, I'm sedentary apart from a few workouts (which I won't be doing over the christmas period) - if I eat that much I will put weight on, simple as that. 2700 will give me more flexibility, I'll add carbs and it will all be fine
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Good Lord a whole load of posts since I last checked this thread, I will sit down and read them when I have some free time

I'm now on day 121, 47lbs down, still dropping 2.9lbs per week on average eating 2000 cals per day

Still not seen a significant increase in hunger, I do need my meals come meal time though

If you're still losing 2.9lbs a week (which is too damn fast, but you seem determined not to listen on that), then an additional 700 cals is nowhere near going to bring you to maintenance. Ergo not a diet break because it won't do jack to bring hormones back in line. You need to be adding more like 1500 cals a day based on that rate of loss.

I have serious medical issues and I need to drop the weight. I still have 89lbs to go and I do not want to be spending 18 months to lose it at a pound a week thanks. When I've got 30 to go I'm going to be doing a different plan anyway involving gaining mass

I competed at international level in judo in my teens & 20s and have a lot of experience in manipulating body composition. Just never done it from this start weight before. As it stands I don't even need a diet break, I can continue on 2000 for much longer yet. I'm only doing it over Xmas to avoid it being a pain for the rest of the family over the festivities.

This is not a struggle, I am not finding it difficult and I am planning my phases

As for eating 3500 calories a day that's just ridiculous, I'm sedentary apart from a few workouts (which I won't be doing over the christmas period) - if I eat that much I will put weight on, simple as that. 2700 will give me more flexibility, I'll add carbs and it will all be fine

Just from my view in the cheap seats: You're being incredibly harsh and unkind toward people who are just trying to help you.

And keep in mind that the person saying this is the same person who got a gentle wrist slap -- a well-deserved one. If I think you're being argumentative, you may want to think on that one.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

For you to be losing ~3 lbs a week on 2000 cals, 3500 is maintenance for you, plain and simple. And I never said you should drop to 1 lb per week, but for the amount you need to lose, 1.5-2 lb would be more appropriate.

But fine, whatever. Do it your way and best of luck to you. Still not a diet break if you're not hitting maintenance, no matter how many carbs you add.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    And FYI, I'm usually at 2400-2500 for refeeds/diet breaks, because that's my TDEE. I'm a 5'6" 137 lb woman. So yeah, you can eat more than that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    That’s a helluva hike @Nony_Mouse! I’d like to hike something like that one day. When I’m not a hermit lol. And just to mime all responses, “clean” eating is another form of nightmare fuel I went through as well. Orthorexia ahoy.

Nutrient density doesn’t have to be “clean” .. just focus on foods that get you the best bang for your buck depending on your goal. Set protein, then set the other two as you see fit. And because I’m an introvert, my cooking style is “crap in a pan” and served on “premium paper” plates. So in that sense, nutrient density comes in the form of eggs or carton egg whites, canned meat, supermarket deli meat, or microwaveable roast, actual vegetables, pork rinds, halo top ice cream, and protein bars. Basically my nutrients are fortified. I’m practically a child lol.

Funny thing is, I practically am a hermit! Introvert to the max (slightly better than you on 'cooking', but only because I pretty much eat the same things every day, cos it's easier anxiety-wise, and I have a dishwasher, otherwise I'd totally be on board with the paper plates). But I'm a hermit who loves being in the bush, and climbing stupidly big hills. Often on my own. My hiking buddy for tomorrow is pretty much the only person I will hike with, because he's pretty much the only person I know who can do it, keep up, not whine about difficulty/distance/etc. If anyone is slowing us down, it's me.

Lol perhaps it's also because I fit the lifestyle of a typical bachelor. I've plated a few meals #forthegram but every other day I eat for convenience.

I'm an extroverted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Can also be quite extroverted, but I burn out quick. INFJ.

Not doing it again right now, but IIRC, so am I.

Yep, we've discussed this. You are.

Forgive me and my oddly horrible memory. The things my tumor/medications cause me to selectively remember/forget never cease to amuse me.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    That’s a helluva hike @Nony_Mouse! I’d like to hike something like that one day. When I’m not a hermit lol. And just to mime all responses, “clean” eating is another form of nightmare fuel I went through as well. Orthorexia ahoy.

Nutrient density doesn’t have to be “clean” .. just focus on foods that get you the best bang for your buck depending on your goal. Set protein, then set the other two as you see fit. And because I’m an introvert, my cooking style is “crap in a pan” and served on “premium paper” plates. So in that sense, nutrient density comes in the form of eggs or carton egg whites, canned meat, supermarket deli meat, or microwaveable roast, actual vegetables, pork rinds, halo top ice cream, and protein bars. Basically my nutrients are fortified. I’m practically a child lol.

Funny thing is, I practically am a hermit! Introvert to the max (slightly better than you on 'cooking', but only because I pretty much eat the same things every day, cos it's easier anxiety-wise, and I have a dishwasher, otherwise I'd totally be on board with the paper plates). But I'm a hermit who loves being in the bush, and climbing stupidly big hills. Often on my own. My hiking buddy for tomorrow is pretty much the only person I will hike with, because he's pretty much the only person I know who can do it, keep up, not whine about difficulty/distance/etc. If anyone is slowing us down, it's me.

Lol perhaps it's also because I fit the lifestyle of a typical bachelor. I've plated a few meals #forthegram but every other day I eat for convenience.

I'm an extroverted introvert, if it makes any sense. I prefer to do my own thing but I'll be spontaneous and social if the mood calls for it.

On the Myers-Briggs scale I'm an INTP: https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

Not doing it again right now, but IIRC, so am I.

Yep, we've discussed this. You are.

Forgive me and my oddly horrible memory. The things my tumor/medications cause me to selectively remember/forget never cease to amuse me.

That's why you have me ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Awesome insights, @anubis609. That being addicted to results really resonates. I continue to fight that mentality, because I know it's part of what led to my binging. I probably will always continue to fight that mentality.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Awesome insights, @anubis609. That being addicted to results really resonates. I continue to fight that mentality, because I know it's part of what led to my binging. I probably will always continue to fight that mentality.

Yup. My normal response to only having a kg to lose would have been 'hell, I can just go hard and knock that off in a week!', and here I am, saying 'oooh, diet break!' instead. Well proud of myself :)

That's a healthy response! Well done :smiley:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Thirding. It's simple math, and VintageFeline was kind enough to do it for you.

Nony did the math this time ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Hike day tomorrow!!! My hiking buddy came up this evening to save him having the extra travel time in the morning, so much fun has been had organising mountains of hiking food (I don't think we're in any danger of starving should we get stuck overnight for any reason), emergency gear etc.

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I was reading that this is the most rare personality type @Nony_Mouse

I'm a ISFJ. I love Myers Briggs stuff.

Are we just a big bunch of introverts in here?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't remember what my MB type is but definitely introvert. Can't be bothered redoing the test right now!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Another INFJ. I can be something of an extrovert, but only on an as-needed basis. The extrovert part is definitely an acquired persona, something like wearing lipstick or pantihose and heels. I can do it, but it's not my first choice and I need to go hide out in my blanket fort afterwards.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Another INFJ. I can be something of an extrovert, but only on an as-needed basis. The extrovert part is definitely an acquired persona, something like wearing lipstick or pantihose and heels. I can do it, but it's not my first choice and I need to go hide out in my blanket fort afterwards.

Exactly. A short time only and then lots of recovery time. Feel like there are so many downsides to being an introvert and it seems to upset other people a lot.