Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Aparently im going to red lobster for all you can eat shrimp. Seems pretty volume based XD Seriously never been im excited to see what its about, I hear they have good biscuits? I love bread lol this is going to go bad xD Worth it im sure

Their biscuits are AMAZING
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I made savory oats this morning for the first time. They weren’t bad. I paired it with egg whites and cut up sausage and veggies. It made a TON of food and I don’t get full easily. It’s not much to look at, but it hit the spot. I’ll be good for the next 5 hours or so..

1/2 a cup of oatmeal- 150c (I used water)
    1 chicken sausage- 140c
    1/2 a cup of egg whites- 65c
    1 slice of American cheese- 70c
    Tsp of butter- 50 cal
    Total= 475c

I disagree! That looks pretty tasty to me! What veggies did you throw in? I see tomatoes and spinach?
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks! No tomatoes, just red pepper, onions and some spinach. I added some sriratcha as well. I’m going to use grits next time because I definitely prefer my oats sweet.

I had a whole post typed up about my mango fluff and it just disappeared. I think I added too many emojis or something.
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the shirataki lasagna sheets?

I am thinking of giving them a try but am a bit skeptical - does the texture work in a lasagna?

I haven't tried them but I'm skeptical too because shirataki noodles don't really get soft, so I wonder how it will be cutting that lasagna. Sorry, I guess I'm no help here.

@purplefizzy That Pad Thai looks great. Too many calories for me but I love cabbage in any form.

With the weather being so freaking cold here right now, I've wanted to make a big pot of soup and after looking for a recipe with stuff I had in my fridge, I made a Pak Choi soup with chicken, pak choi, carrots, bamboo sprouts and scallions. It was improvised a bit based on a slightly different recipe I found but it turned out to be really tasty... an huge volume.

I ended up with this:

Z3RSD6e.jpg

.. well, 3 bowls of this for about 400 kcal. I haven't measured the exact volume but one of those bowls holds approx. 500 ml and I used 1 liter of chicken bouillon so 1.5 liter makes sense with the veggies and meat added.

Ingredients:
    - 1 liter chicken bouillon
    - 150 g chicken breast (sliced)
    - 227 g pak choi
    - 125 g carrots
    - 98 g bamboo sprouts
    - 27 g scallions
    + 5 ml seasame oil, 28 g shallots (minzed), 10 g ginger (minzed), 6 g chili (minzed), 7 g garlic (minzed), 50 ml soy souce, 1 tbsp of sugar (replacement)

The entire pot came in at 406 kcal with 47 g protein, 12 g fat, 33 g carbs, 9 g fiber

Just what I needed after being an hour in the cold and hungry.

• Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I tried the protein angel food cake recipe and it was just ok. Kinda weird that the top and sides were more meringue crisp texture. I'm going to try again with a different flavored protein powder.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I tried the protein angel food cake recipe and it was just ok. Kinda weird that the top and sides were more meringue crisp texture. I'm going to try again with a different flavored protein powder.

Maybe you went in with to high expectations? Its not magic its literally just egg whites sweetners and protein powder if you were expecting a super decedent cake no wonder you were left unimpressed? It really is a glorified omlette/meingue mashup. That said mine did turn out super cakey when i cooked it longer and added a bit more thickener. And tasted wonderful with caramel /vanilla extract. I even tried lemon flavor to honor the meringue lol. Still not fooling myself its cake, Its a cake alternative lol but for the calories and the protein and the low calories, acceptable to me as a cake. 100% passable as far as cravings go for me
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options

Maybe you went in with to high expectations? Its not magic its literally just egg whites sweetners and protein powder if you were expecting a super decedent cake no wonder you were left unimpressed? It really is a glorified omlette/meingue mashup. That said mine did turn out super cakey when i cooked it longer and added a bit more thickener. And tasted wonderful with caramel /vanilla extract. I even tried lemon flavor to honor the meringue lol. Still not fooling myself its cake, Its a cake alternative lol but for the calories and the protein and the low calories, acceptable to me as a cake. 100% passable as far as cravings go for me

Honestly i dont think i liked the flavor of the protein powder and maybe didnt add enough stevia. I'm going to try it again and bake it a little longer. It was cakey on some parts and a little too eggy on the others if that makes sense. How much cream of tartar did you use? Maybe I should use a little more next time. It was enjoyable for the volume haha
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2017
    Options

Honestly i dont think i liked the flavor of the protein powder and maybe didnt add enough stevia. I'm going to try it again and bake it a little longer. It was cakey on some parts and a little too eggy on the others if that makes sense. How much cream of tartar did you use? Maybe I should use a little more next time. It was enjoyable for the volume haha

1-1.5tsp cream of tartar and 1-2 tsp of caramel/vanilla extract for me. I love extracts in it i could cut the stevia use down alot. I have noticed if you fold in the powder to much it wont fluff, And to little you end up with pockets of protein powder surrounded by hard burned cakey textured bits. Definately the most important step, Mixing well but not to well/roughly lol.

I really liked cooking it longer, I noticed once it browns up and it says to remove from oven, Takes a long time to burn lol. Iv kept it in 20 minutes past that and it was still fine. Just firms it up a bit. Still not cake, But cake like :p Keep in mind i like a little but more chew to my foods so im biased. Gets chewy not crunchy. Been super sad when i dont mix it enough and get powder pockets though, They are gross.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options

1-1.5tsp cream of tartar and 1-2 tsp of caramel/vanilla extract for me. I love extracts in it i could cut the stevia use down alot. I have noticed if you fold in the powder to much it wont fluff, And to little you end up with pockets of protein powder surrounded by hard burned cakey textured bits. Definately the most important step, Mixing well but not to well/roughly lol.

I really liked cooking it longer, I noticed once it browns up and it says to remove from oven, Takes a long time to burn lol. Iv kept it in 20 minutes past that and it was still fine. Just firms it up a bit. Still not cake, But cake like :p Keep in mind i like a little but more chew to my foods so im biased. Gets chewy not crunchy. Been super sad when i dont mix it enough and get powder pockets though, They are gross.

Yeah the "gently fold in" part is tricky! You have to get it perfect, between mixed enough or mixed too much.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    yeah we made me crave cake. lol. Normally i top it all fancy, I wont today. Ill focus in on texture and see :p
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I don't know what I did wrong. I didn't really like the angel food cake all that much. Maybe I put in too much extract. Or maybe it's just not my thing. I used to love angel food cake, but this just didn't do it for me.

I mean, it was okay. It just wasn't worth the trouble of making it again.

I will whip this up tonight. I will report back for share my findings. I am not expecting this to be the real thing at all, I mean its not a "cake", but I do expect it to at least look like a cake, have a cake consistency and taste good. The last bit very very important to me.

Otherwise I am back to making weekly cheesecake and donuts.

Yes let us know how it is compared to your cheesecake! Wondering which one i should try first!

I forgot I ran out of cream of tartar and did not want to do any subs so I will make it tonight.
    Also its not about comparing and whats better. I make a lot of things that are good and will continue to do so. But for me to make something over and over, it has to be taste good and have the "proper" calories.

So I made this. Real angel cake this is definitely not. But a what it is is a very very good protein cake. This what I did.
    Measured out 7 egg whites from the carton and left it out on the kitchen counter for couple hours as I prepper dinner.
    After dinner, placed the egg whites in my stand mixer.
    Added 1 tsp cream of tartar.
    Added small pocket of french vanilla splenda.
    Added 1 tsp vanilla extract.
    Let her whip until stiff peaks (took about 5 minutes on high).
    Folded in a scoop of Canada Protein cookies and cream, casein powder.
    Spread into an 8x8 baking tray and into the over at 350F for 20 minutes.
    Let it cool.
    Topped with whipped cream, berries and Walden Farms pancake syrup.
    Great late night snack while watching the walking dead :)

Mine did not come up very high, might be the pan I used was too big. But I wanted it this way, for a future recipe I will be sharing here that will blow your minds hahaha :)

Again, real angel food cake this is NOT.
    A delicious protein fluffy cake, YES!!!! :)

See you used a whole scoop, and the original recipe just called for 17 grams or half a scoop of protein powder.

I'll try it again with a whole scoop to see if that makes a difference.

Because I'm normally okay with substitutes and adjusted expectations. But this just didn't cut it as being worth the fuss. I think I'll try the full scoop tonight and see if I like it better.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Options
    I don't know what I did wrong. I didn't really like the angel food cake all that much. Maybe I put in too much extract. Or maybe it's just not my thing. I used to love angel food cake, but this just didn't do it for me.

I will whip this up tonight. I will report back for share my findings. I am not expecting this to be the real thing at all, I mean its not a "cake", but I do expect it to at least look like a cake, have a cake consistency and taste good. The last bit very very important to me.

Yes let us know how it is compared to your cheesecake! Wondering which one i should try first!

I forgot I ran out of cream of tartar and did not want to do any subs so I will make it tonight.
    Also its not about comparing and whats better. I make a lot of things that are good and will continue to do so. But for me to make something over and over, it has to be taste good and have the "proper" calories.

So I made this. Real angel cake this is definitely not. But a what it is is a very very good protein cake. This what I did.
    Measured out 7 egg whites from the carton and left it out on the kitchen counter for couple hours as I prepper dinner.
    Let it cool.

Mine did not come up very high, might be the pan I used was too big. But I wanted it this way, for a future recipe I will be sharing here that will blow your minds hahaha :)

Hmmm so carton egg whites do work?! How many grams of carton egg whites equals 7 shelled egg whites?
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hmmm so carton egg whites do work?! How many grams of carton egg whites equals 7 shelled egg whites?

They don't work as well (hence the "mine didn't come up very high")... the egg whites that come in a carton are pasteurized. I found a nice explanation on the Cook's Illustrated website but it is behind a paywall. Here's an excerpt...
    Given that these products contain nothing but egg whites, what made the difference? The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that liquid egg whites be pasteurized, a process that heats the whites enough to kill bacteria without cooking them.

<snip>

[P]asteurization changes the nature of the egg proteins enough to compromise their structure, especially in baked goods—a limitation that isn’t always mentioned on product labels. The heating process prematurely links the proteins so that they unfold and stretch less readily when whipped. As a result, they cannot hold the same amount of air or achieve the same volume as fresh egg whites.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Let it cool.

When I crack large eggs, each white is around 31 grams.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Yeah the "gently fold in" part is tricky! You have to get it perfect, between mixed enough or mixed too much.

I'm good at the folding bit, but I still didn't think it was all that.

I'm going to try again with more protein powder to see if that does the trick.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Nahhh... They didnt come up high because I used a large baking tray. I did this on purpose.

Gotcha...

The point about pasteurization is important to note for those who are looking for the volume. They (Cook's Illustrated) recommended a particular brand...
    Eggology 100% Egg Whites
    This organic product looked like fresh egg whites and made an omelet that “tasted real” and an angel food cake that was “somewhat coarse but entirely acceptable.” Meringue cookies were “hollow” and overly “crunchy,” but their exteriors were “glossy and smooth.”

And concerning Egg Beaters which I think is everywhere in the U.S. ...
    Egg Beaters All Natural 100% Egg Whites
    While they made an appealingly “fluffy, soft” omelet, these whites flopped—­literally—when we tried to bake with them. We learned that they’re twice pasteurized, making them unable to hold peaks when whipped or to rise properly in the oven when baked.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This is the best way to do it. Eat low cal high nutrient foods for the best way to stay full in your calorie goal. Today's menu for me is

Breakfast- toasted light whole wheat English muffin topped with an egg with sauteed onion, mushroom and zucchini with melted Colby jack cheese.
    1 cup of coffee with 1/2 cup vanilla cashew protein milk

Lunch- pan seared tilapia and grilled romaine ♥

Dinner- grilled hot wings, baked zucchini fries, baked fries and ranch dressing.

I'm still under my calorie goal quite a bit so snack will probably two heaps of crunchy peanut butter.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

Let it cool.

My carton says that 46g is 1 egg..so 322g for 7 eggs.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Oh and @crazyravr, I made your low calorie waffle yesterday..in pancake form because I don't have a waffle maker. It was delicious!! Definitely going to become a regular snack for me since I'm trying to cut back on the protein ice cream because of the colder weather. Thanks for the recipe!