December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!? I already missed three pages?

Missed last months goal by one run...too many unplanned rest days! In this month for another 100.

@skippygirlsmom - Congrats on the new gig! So glad that things are working out for you!

12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Seriously?!? I already missed three pages?

Missed last months goal by one run...too many unplanned rest days! In this month for another 100.

@skippygirlsmom - Congrats on the new gig! So glad that things are working out for you!

12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!

exercise.png

I know it might be hard to believe... but this is actually a slow start for us :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I decided last night that I should give up running. Least until I'm improved.

I got up off the couch last night and felt the undeniable pain pattern of trochantric bursitis on the right side. Yah in addition to the lefts business.

This morning I feel differently about an indefinite break. I have the trail run tomorrow and am really looking forward to it. Yet I'm also concerned, maybe even reserved about my ability to make sane choices. Haha!

So what to do? (Rhetorical) *shrugs* Guess I'll decide after the trails tomorrow.

Meantime I'll work on a wah wah list to take to the surgeon, CNS - since the surgeon scheduled surgery when I was spose to see him... who'll just tell me to do more rehab exercises... :frowning:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks. I'm not down. Just wanna run, run, run. Ya look forward to the time of year where you don't fry and and wind up on the DL. The lack of direction has me momentarily stumped. Again, if that dang pool would open... in November, like I was told it would... lyinButhols

@skippygirlsmom Great news on the job front!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    at least your trainer didn't fire you :D .
    ???? WT*kitten* so that is the "overtraining" reference ??

I still lol at her using the word elite @MNLittleFinn - elite and crazy aren't synonymous people and I know which one of those I actually am :D .

@juliet3455 She sent me a Dear John letter after I reported my 131k time. Basically she doesn't feel that we are well matched and I need somebody with more experience. I am debating between a lady who qualifies as an elite on the 100 out of Jasper or the trainers' trainer who has done really well on the Leadville 100, etc. out of Colorado. Just frustrating timing for me because most people are shutting up shop for the holidays soon so I either make a decision really fast :/ or I wait until the New Year and accept I'll be going into the Frozen 50 with no direction (which sucks because there is an elite going that I wanted to attempt to pace with).

The overtraining reference on my profile was actually about something one of the dudes who runs trail in this area said to me yesterday when I saw him in town. Just get outta here with that lol
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I totally want to see a ticker in inches! C'mon, do it! Plus, yes this is a slow start...I did a horrible job of keeping up this year. Ya' know, my job is seriously getting in the way of my running social life.
    @Elise4270 - Angstroms? Nerd :smile:
    @JessicaMcB - All I can say is...DAMN! We're not worthy!
    @garygse - Glad the shin is getting better!
    @eponine1984 - I think it is safe to say that no one in this group is winning any foot beauty competitions. My children point out my ugly feet and toes practically daily.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I should be running but I'm sitting in a nasty shop getting my brakes done. Scuzzy old guy next to me wearing socks and sandals. I'm glad for the socks. :D

We hit a deer in our other car last night. The good car :'( Waiting to find out if it's totaled.

I'm sure I'll run later but curling up and watching movies sure sounds better.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    C'mon Karl, we all know it takes one to know one. :wink: :kissing_heart:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    at least your trainer didn't fire you :D .
    ???? WT*kitten* so that is the "overtraining" reference ??

I still lol at her using the word elite @MNLittleFinn - elite and crazy aren't synonymous people and I know which one of those I actually am :D
    Obviously not. LOL.... you're just in denial is all. I'm crazy, you're elite.......
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Let the housekeeper go! Haha! I have to try so hard not to be curt.

@greenolivetree ugh, people. Haha. Sorry about the deer and car. I clipped one a few years ago going 60 and managed to just barely get him. I sure felt bad about it. I've seen plenty already this year that didn't make it across traffic. I was behind a semi that got one once and it just sprayed my truck with blood. Sure can get gruesome. Glad you all are okay.

ETA. I'm off today. Soooo, I should probably go clean house some and get off MFP MRC.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    None, nada, zero, big fat hairy zip. My shin is feeling a lot better as I approach the end of three weeks without a single run, and I get to go back to the doctor after another week, but as I can still feel it, I highly doubt I'll get even a single mile in this month. Trying to recall what I did to piss Santa off this year.

Aww, I know the feeling. But you are very wise to be giving it the rest it needs. And if you are going to be sidelined from running, this is probably the time of year to do it! Give your leg the rest it needs, focus on strengthening and you will be back better than ever in the new year!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I totally want to see a ticker in inches! C'mon, do it!

hehe. I got the idea from the last marathon I ran, there were several (maybe 4 or 5?) places along the route where they gave the distance to the finish in inches. :) I think it was supposed to be encouraging or something?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 We were going 55 and it came out of nowhere. But thankfully no one was hurt and that's most important.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga

Starting the month off with a non-running day. I did the P90X3 CVX (cardio) workout this morning, getting it done early since we have a surprise b-day party to go to tonight. I feel like I have pretty darn good cardio endurance, but this workout kicks my *kitten* every darn time! Goes back to that lack of power thing, I guess. It was particularly hard this morning because it was early and I was tired.

On a plus note, I finished off November with a great run. Just under 7 miles of meandering through the quaint little town where I work checking out all of the fabulous Christmas lights. The only drawback was wet leaves...ugh. Followed that up with a lifting session with my trainer at the gym. We focused on legs with heavy weights. I guess I should not be surprised that I lacked the spring in my step this morning.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I have lots on the agenda, so I likely won't be checking in until Monday. See you all then. Happy Running!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 6/90 km

1/12/17 6 km
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Good news upon waking up. No pain in my knee this morning after running last night. I think the ice really helped (in the bourbon and on my knee). My optimism/pessimism level is now at 51%. That's pretty good considering after my 15 mile run Sunday I was wondering what I would do with my life if I had to give up running.

I've decided to stay off the trails for the time being. My knee does best with straight, flat, predictable surfaces. Hitting rocks and roots and other lateral movements is not what it needs right now. Maybe I'll go hiking instead.

Tonight my son has basketball practice and soccer practice. During soccer I'll run 6 or 7 miles and if my knee is up to it, I'll do another 6 or 7 after I take him home. We're moving mom to memory care housing tomorrow and won't be able to get in a long run in the morning. Mom's getting funny. Today is her birthday. Last week she was upset because no one was calling her on her birthday (a week in the future) and wishing her happy birthday. She knew it wasn't her birthday yet, but I guess she was anticipating no calls or something.

2018 Races (Registered & Planned)
    01/27/2018 - Securian Winter HM - St. Paul, MN
    02/24/2018 - Psycho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, KS
    04/14/2018 - Zumbro 50 Mile - Theilman, MN
    05/05/2018 - Finish MS 77 Mile Solo Run (tentative)
    06/23/2018 - Circle of Life Half Marathon - Lake City, MN
    07/04/2018 - Red Wing 4th of July 5K - Red Wing, MN
    09/15/2018 - Outrun Hunger 5K - Savage, MN
    10/13/2017 - Big Woods Run Trail Half Marathon - Nerstrand, MN
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Elise4270 wrote: »
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    Joining this challenge for December. I have not participated before because issues with being classified as a runner. Anyway, cold weather has set in, but I will set my goal for 200 miles.

Welcome to the group!

:confused: Just curious, what would you have classified your as? Cuz 200 mpm is the work of A LOT of trainin'.

Not that lables are important here... Or anywhere :wink:

I never ran until I was 45 years old. Now, it is all I want to do. I started MFP with weightloss in mind and was walking all the time. One day someone asked if I was I a runner. I was emphatic and stated 'no.' Later in the day, I thought about it more and decided 'why not?' Started running in April 2016 and have not stopped since. I have run four races to date, with the thought that I was not good enough, but my times appear to be 'good enough.' I never classified myself as anything, I just could not consider myself as 'good enough' to be a runner.