December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 Ben echoes your sentiments on Fort Mac. He's so thrilled to be spending Monday through to just before Christmas there vetting contractors :D
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    12/1: 4 miles. Beautiful weather. Anyone have tips to improve split pace? My splits are all over the place and I would like to be more consistent.

exercise.png

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    So "adult on-set runner" here. Haha. Triathlon training starts hard core this month. Yike! LOL. Ok, so the plan calls for only about 20 miles for the month. I got in 19 for Nov and that was being hurt. So I am going to say 25 and see what happens. I also need to swim two days a week and bike one day. And I'm adding in yoga. Maybe a rest day thrown in there every now and then. I was diagnosed with strep on Weds and feeling a bunch of congestion in the back of my throat today. I think I'll take off today and then run tomorrow. I have a 5k scheduled for next saturday so we'll see how I do.

2018 Races Scheduled (and last one for '17)

12/9 Reindeer Romp
    1/13/2018 Grapevine Bold in the Cold
    2/11/2018 Haltom Stampede
    3/11/18 Keller Irish Sprint Triathlon

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If anyone is interested in purchasing a RoadID here is a $10 off when you spend $20 code. Coupon Code: U97V8695KW it expires on the 5th.

Since I miss @elise4270 asking her end of the month questions, I thought I'd throw this one out. What's on your Christmas or Hanukkah wish list? Doesn't need to be running related.

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested in purchasing a RoadID here is a $10 off when you spend $20 code. Coupon Code: U97V8695KW it expires on the 5th.

Since I miss @elise4270 asking her end of the month questions, I thought I'd throw this one out. What's on your Christmas or Hanukkah wish list? Doesn't need to be running related.

Ok. so my super geekness is coming out with this question...I want a 1 day pass to LeakyCon (Harry Potter convention) that will be in Dallas this year.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I started at 48 years old, about 2.5 years ago, when i was 50 pounds heavier. My brother-in-law, who got me started running, claims that you're not a real runner until you can hold a 10 minute pace, which of course is utter BS.

I would say that anyone who would say something that ridiculous is not a real runner.
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    December's running challenge 350 km's. Let it begin.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 miles.

12/01 - Rest Day

Total: 0/100

Well, December is already looking to be as busy or busier than November, but I will keep up as much as I can. Spent my lunch hour today going thru the 6 pages so far.

I would also consider myself an adult on-set runner, although I ran cross country my senior year of HS, but that was only to help my conditioning for hockey, so I don't really count that. I began in earnest with the C25K program in May 2016 right after my 49th birthday. I had already lost 50 of my now 75 lbs before I started and I think that really helped me physically and those last 20-25 lbs came off over the next 5 months.

A quick recap of my November... I slayed my goal by nearly 30 miles, but I ended up running a lot more after my HM than I thought I would. Speaking of the HM, I trimmed almost 5 minutes from my 1st HM in the spring. Some may recall my question/concern regarding the out and back course that starts with a fairly good decline and then of course ends with that incline. So, I knew my 1st half would be quite a bit faster than the last half, but I tried not to go out too fast. I really felt like I had a good pace going throughout, but the hill did get the better of me and I had to walk briefly a couple of times. I could have powered through I think, but not sure how much I would have had at the end. I just got back last night from my Boston trip and thank you for those of you who encouraged me to run the Charles River loop even though I was a little worried about finding my way. I did get lost a little bit on the way back as there was some construction and I got off the trail sooner than I should have. After running a half mile or so, I stopped and google mapped it and I was heading the right way, just need to go another quarter mile or so until I came to street names I recognized.

December... cutting my runs back to 4 days a week until I get on another training plan (probably the last week of the month). No races this month and I haven't had a chance to scope out runs for 2018 yet.

Good luck everyone and I hope those of you who are suffering some injuries are able to heal up quickly!

Oh, and quick question on the black toenail issue... I have Morton's toe (2nd toe longer than the big toe... and no, I am not a witch! :smile: ) and although both of them have turned black, the right toe is much worse and is so thick I can't get clippers around it... anything to be worried about?

2017 Races
    02/25/17 - 26:06 - 5K Mardi Gras (not official course)
    04/01 - 53:23 - 10K Jadon's Hope Bug Run (1st)
    04/22 - 1:58:24 HM Garmin Oz Run (1st HM)
    06/18 - 54:04 - 10K Father's Day Run (gun time)
    08/05 - 24:02 - 5K Spencer Duncan
    09/16 - 52:01 - 10K Kade Meyer Celebration Run (PR)
    10/01 - 40:24 - 8K WWI Museum Double run (5K-25:53/3K-15:01)
    10/07 - 23:37 - 5K Jared Coons Pumpkin Run (PR)
    10/14 - 28:00 - 5K AIM Melanoma Virtual
    11/19 - 1:53:39 HM Pilgrim Pacer (PR)

11/23 - 8K STL Turkey Trot (Did not run due to logistics)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No running today... Had a sore spot on the top of my right foot after reaching for a price tag on a top shelf at the store... It's been bugging me off and on for a month or so when I flex my foot a certain way. :/ I'm also getting a lot of heel pain (both feet) so I think I'm going to take a couple days off to try and heal up. Son of a....
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2

December total: 4.2 / ???

Back on the horse. It doesn't matter how many times you fall off; it only matters that you get back on. My November total was 15.5 miles, all but two of which were in the last week.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone out yet today after skipping yesterday. Plan is to do my 5K after the boys go to bed. Then 11.x tomorrow (aka 7 miles... my longest run to date).

Just hoping my boys don't catch the stomach bug currently felling everyone else from their dayhome. I don't deal well with stomach bugs.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I haven't gone out yet today after skipping yesterday. Plan is to do my 5K after the boys go to bed. Then 11.x tomorrow (aka 7 miles... my longest run to date).

Just hoping my boys don't catch the stomach bug currently felling everyone else from their dayhome. I don't deal well with stomach bugs.

Kate's preschool is also riddled with plague- survive little men!!! Have a great run tomorrow, you're going to do awesome on 11+ <3

@LaDispute57 My husband also tells me this- is this an indicator he is about to become my ex wife :D

@skippygirlsmom first congrats on the new job! Didn't get to mention it in November thread but that is killer turn around!

Re: Christmas I want a Salomon pack or new trekking poles from BD. I also need MAC money (Because I am naturally fairly terrifying lmao) but priorities sooooo...new pack ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I have to get up at 0350 so i can be running with my buddy by 0430.... a 2 hour trail, run the day after a killer speedwork session, is going to be rough, hoping to get in at least 8 miles, going up over and down the ridge.