Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• ForeverPrimed
    ForeverPrimed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Jo, your cat is my dream cat. Just gorgeous.

An update from me. I wanted to collect more data without Thanksgiving muddying the waters. Another week, another faster than expected loss. I think one more week of this and I'll make definite adjustments.

I'm down a pound a half from my previous low. Which is way too fast for my current weight.

I will also add that I think that this is down partially to implementing this process. It makes weight loss very efficient.

It really does, doesn't it? Please take over as new poster child, since I inadvertently messed up at the last minute :D
    Now I'm bitter everyone is getting faster than expected losses. *Wanders off swearing under my breath*

Eczema diet. I'm telling ya.

So I flared big time yesterday. No rash, pred seems to still be holding that at bay (last dose was yesterday morning), but my skin dried out incredibly, and I just hurt - skin, bones, muscles. Ended up just going and curling up on my bed after dinner. I'm going to be super, duper, ridiculously over the top with emollient cream today, total body every few hours and hot spots the second they don't feel greasy.

Have you looked into FODMAPs for eczema?
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you can find bubble suits - remember the movie Bubble Boy?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Happy for you and jealous, heh. I am sat here giving myself a pep talk. I only have two weeks until diet break (I will have two weeks tomorrow (Friday) as my last deficit day before Christmas but I am OVER IT. At the same time I have been so consistent for the first time since the new year that I am impressed with myself and want to fully see it through. Because I have to get to goal reasonably soon or I will drive myself even more bonkers than I already am.

You will get there :)

I feel bad for being such a Debby Downer when I know others are gritting their teeth and kicking the scales.

I need to work out what all this means in terms of cals and strength training etc. Obviously I want to see the whole of Strong Curves through (if I can make it past Day 1 of week 4 ffs) and build strength, but in terms of fat loss I'm at a yeah, nah stage. 'Cept my thighs. Are we sure I can't spot reduce? :D

I forgot to address this yesterday, but... depending on who you want to believe - I mean, it's Menno ... it's plausible lol (ʘ‿ʘ)

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/science-spot-reduction-myth/
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you can find bubble suits - remember the movie Bubble Boy?

I do indeed, and believe me, I have thought about it!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Happy for you and jealous, heh. I am sat here giving myself a pep talk. I only have two weeks until diet break (I will have two weeks tomorrow (Friday) as my last deficit day before Christmas but I am OVER IT. At the same time I have been so consistent for the first time since the new year that I am impressed with myself and want to fully see it through. Because I have to get to goal reasonably soon or I will drive myself even more bonkers than I already am.

I feel bad for being such a Debby Downer when I know others are gritting their teeth and kicking the scales.

I need to work out what all this means in terms of cals and strength training etc. Obviously I want to see the whole of Strong Curves through (if I can make it past Day 1 of week 4 ffs) and build strength, but in terms of fat loss I'm at a yeah, nah stage. 'Cept my thighs. Are we sure I can't spot reduce? :D

I forgot to address this yesterday, but... depending on who you want to believe - I mean, it's Menno ... it's plausible lol (ʘ‿ʘ)

I will read over breakfast when I am back from market :)

At the end of the day, if my thighs are a bit lumpier than I'd like, whatever...(she says whilst secretly hoping that strength training will still improve them even without further fat loss...).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

At the end of the day, if my thighs are a bit lumpier than I'd like, whatever...(she says whilst secretly hoping that strength training will still improve them even without further fat loss...).

I'm sure, like me, you have spent time in the recomp thread but I have seen a lot of improvement in the lumpiness in that thread. I'm still hoping mine magically disappears with the last 10lbs. Which isn't beyond the realm of possibility given the dramatic improvement I've seen with recent 10lb loss.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It will. It just takes time at maintenance to recomp but very possible.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Is the eczema down?
    My middle son used to get it bad when younger. Much better now he's in HS but there is the occasional flare up. Can't recall exactly what the ointment was but I know it had a prescription strength topical steroid in it.
    When he was really little like 4 he asked what it was, not sure why but I responded "it's scaredy-cat chicken slime with a little bit of duck". And.....that's how it got referred to over the next 10 years :)

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

Is the eczema down?
    My middle son used to get it bad when younger. Much better now he's in HS but there is the occasional flare up. Can't recall exactly what the ointment was but I know it had a prescription strength topical steroid in it.
    When he was really little like 4 he asked what it was, not sure why but I responded "it's scaredy-cat chicken slime with a little bit of duck". And.....that's how it got referred to over the next 10 years :)

Still quelled by prednisone, last dose was yesterday, so we shall see. It was making a damn good effort at a come back yesterday (had all the other symptoms except the rash, a lot of redness though). It was stupidly hot and dry yesterday. My joints are well inflamed still today, ouch, but I don't feel as overall terrible as the past two days.

I had vague hopes of the cloud cover staying today to keep the temp down and the humidity up (everyone else will complain about the humidity, not I! I hate it under normal circumstances, but if it's helping my skin to not dry out I'm all for it atm). Metservice is still saying we'll get showers tomorrow.

I have steroid cream in four different strengths :tongue:

Hopefully your son will outgrow it completely.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh @anubis609 - fresh raspberries at market today :) (and strawberries, of course).

And omg, there is a local (is in, in my town) avocado orchard, and they started their stall at market today!! I'm mighty impressed that they grow (and well, apparently) here. The orchardist did say it takes a lot of tender loving care.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

An update from me. I wanted to collect more data without Thanksgiving muddying the waters. Another week, another faster than expected loss. I think one more week of this and I'll make definite adjustments.

I'm down a pound a half from my previous low. Which is way too fast for my current weight.

I will also add that I think that this is down partially to implementing this process. It makes weight loss very efficient.

It really does, doesn't it? Please take over as new poster child, since I inadvertently messed up at the last minute :D
    Now I'm bitter everyone is getting faster than expected losses. *Wanders off swearing under my breath*

So I flared big time yesterday. No rash, pred seems to still be holding that at bay (last dose was yesterday morning), but my skin dried out incredibly, and I just hurt - skin, bones, muscles. Ended up just going and curling up on my bed after dinner. I'm going to be super, duper, ridiculously over the top with emollient cream today, total body every few hours and hot spots the second they don't feel greasy.

I have looked into everything for eczema. Trust me.

ETA, sorry if that sounded snippy :\ Sleep deprived, flaring, redhead, all makes for short-fused Nony!!

I'm going on two years of chronic eczema (with life history of sporadic outbreaks). Researcher by nature, researcher by trade, so I have done my homework on this one! What we (I, doctor concurs) have established thus far: chronic eczema probably related to perimenopause; definite seasonal aspect (worse in summer); some food triggers (eggs, tomatoes, gluten); probably a mass of environmental triggers (pollen, also get wicked hay fever now, I live on antihistamines); heat, esp. dry heat, does not help (it hasn't rained here for a month, and it's only just the start of summer). Keeping skin moisturised (ie providing a barrier to the environmentals) is super, super important. I should just fill my tub with emollient cream at this point and stay in there :D

Ouchie. Hmm.. Have you ever gone all out and water fasted for an extended period?

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

ETA, sorry if that sounded snippy :\ Sleep deprived, flaring, redhead, all makes for short-fused Nony!!

I'm going on two years of chronic eczema (with life history of sporadic outbreaks). Researcher by nature, researcher by trade, so I have done my homework on this one! What we (I, doctor concurs) have established thus far: chronic eczema probably related to perimenopause; definite seasonal aspect (worse in summer); some food triggers (eggs, tomatoes, gluten); probably a mass of environmental triggers (pollen, also get wicked hay fever now, I live on antihistamines); heat, esp. dry heat, does not help (it hasn't rained here for a month, and it's only just the start of summer). Keeping skin moisturised (ie providing a barrier to the environmentals) is super, super important. I should just fill my tub with emollient cream at this point and stay in there :D

Ouchie. Hmm.. Have you ever gone all out and water fasted for an extended period?

Funny thing, but I don't recall Nony requesting eczema advise. Advice given that has not been requested is generally not appreciated. Even more so when that advice involves woo solutions like water fasts.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Well, it's been my anecdotal experience that lower body work in the form of running combined with resistance work and a deficit does thin down stubborn thighs.

Now if I could just make it target saddle bags, I'd be really, really happy.

Also, I don't know if that thinning down is more pronounced than it would be without those things. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that when I was at my lowest weight, I was happy with the way things were going. Except for the damned saddle bags.
  • ForeverPrimed
    ForeverPrimed Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Would not even contemplate.

a) history of eating disorders, very easily triggered by insufficient food for even a couple of days

b) the amount of energy my body uses generating a rash (which seems to be what it is always doing these days) we calculated the other week at 1000+ cals per day. Even if I didn't move the entire time, I would be burning a good 2500 calories a day. Sounds healthy for a 134 lb woman...

c) I like food

d) I am quite confident I have removed all food triggers. Not sure what starving myself would achieve.

e) I am trying to repair my body here, insufficient calories is the last thing I need.

I have a chronic condition. I manage it as well as I can. This is just my life for now.

Fair enough :smile: