December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a favorite winter sock recommendation? I've been wearing short socks and now that it's almost freezing the strip between the bottom of my socks and my tights is getting cold.

I do not have any recommendations, I continue to wear my balega socks. I really do not notice my legs all that much. Once they numb up, I worry more about how much my fingers hurt.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a favorite winter sock recommendation? I've been wearing short socks and now that it's almost freezing the strip between the bottom of my socks and my tights is getting cold.

I have a pair of smart wool I wore last year in Wisconsin. They are thin but dry quickly. (I stepped in one puddle of ice at like mile 18 of 20.)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    rolaasad wrote: »
    So many days without any more runs. I'm not feeling motivated, or I am, but not enough. I'm scared of not being able to achieve my goal for this month and more scared of the actual work. I'm a very new runner and sometimes it gets overwhelming... it's twisted and doesn't make any sense.

Still, I'm planning to go for a run tomorrow morning. I hope I can do it...

You can do this! I've had this feeling before. I tell myself I have to go for 15 minutes and if I still feel the same I cam quit. I think I've quit once.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    So many days without any more runs. I'm not feeling motivated, or I am, but not enough. I'm scared of not being able to achieve my goal for this month and more scared of the actual work. I'm a very new runner and sometimes it gets overwhelming... it's twisted and doesn't make any sense.

You can do this! I've had this feeling before. I tell myself I have to go for 15 minutes and if I still feel the same I cam quit. I think I've quit once.

^^^ this.

I was once told that the first mile is a lie, and that is so true.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I have recently discovered Darn Tough wool socks. I may never wear anything else again in the cold weather.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I like SmartWools thick winter socks. Nice and warm.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

This is a problem I will never have. I'm only 5'4", so my full-length tights are long enough to leave wrapped under my heel and put my no-show socks on over the top of them. :lol:

That said, I think Balega's Blister Resist socks are great. They're a thicker mohair sock, so are warmer than my usual ultra-thins. And they come in both no-show and taller versions.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

You will have a great run tomorrow! The hardest part of a run is often just making yourself get started. And, like others have noted, once you do get out there, the first mile is always the hardest. Even when I was regularly running 10+ miles at a time, I would often start off feeling like I'd never make it through. Eventually, though, if you just keep going, you will hit your stride and sail on through. Just take it slow and easy and find a pace that works for you.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @rolaasad : I agree with @7lenny7... don't worry about how long or how fast you run... just get out and run. I'm a pretty new runner myself (started in September), and sometimes I still psych myself out, wondering if I can do it, not feeling like a 'real runner.' It's nonsense. I just have to tell those doubting voices to shut up, and go out and run. You can do this!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    That video does look good @pastorvincent. Thanks.

@BruinsGal_91 I'm glad to know you like your FR25. I looked at that one too but thought that I would probably want the HR monitor.

@7lenny7 I never thought about looking for used. Definitely worth considering.
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Tough run on the treadmill today!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@rolaasad instead of thinking you need to run 2 miles or 3 miles or whatever the number is, just go out and run. Don't put limits on the run. If it's just a few hundred meters, that's great. If it's more, that's great too! If you need to walk, that's no problem. Walk until you've rested enough to run again. Walking & running are both great! Just get out to take a few strides and see what happens. My other suggestion is to run SLOW! Some beginners feel they need to run fast and all that does is tire you out too soon and take away your motivation A nice easy run, slow enough that you could carry on a conversation or sing a song, is just about right.

@rheddmobile see if the maker of your favorite socks has a model for colder weather. Personally I wear FitSock ISO for mild winter weather and move to some DryMax crew trail socks when it gets a bit colder, then for really cold weather I have some Feetures Marino wool socks and a pair of DryMax cold weather socks.

@rolaasad - ^^^ this, exactly what @7lenny7 says! It takes a bit of time and effort to get over that hump to where you really want/can't wait to get out and just run but you will get there. Just keep at it and take it slow. For me I used to tell myself how great it felt just to be outside and looked forward to that bit of time for myself. I would dress for a run even if I talked myself into a walk instead and more often than not I would end up running at least some. Rather than worrying about miles at this point maybe try to think of your goal as the number of times you get out the door each week or you ran for a block or xx minutes and slowly increase that.

@rheddmobile - I love Smartwool socks and they come in lots of thicknesses and lengths for any type weather (hot or cold).
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have a question about running watches. I'll start by saying that a running watch is not really in my budget, especially a $500 watch. But with Christmas coming I have started thinking about getting one. I've seen the Garmin FR35 on Amazon for ~$160 looks pretty good to me and is a lot more practical for me then $500 or even $300. But I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it. Right now I have a Fitbit One which clips to my bra. (One of the main reasons I got it is that I don't usually wear a lot of jewelry and didn't want something on my wrist.) I track my runs using the Strava app on my phone and I have also tracked them with the Fitbit app so so far I have been fairly low tech. I would like to have a watch that I could track my runs and look at my pace as I run. The phone apps will give me my pace every half mile, but I'd like to be able to look at it at anytime during the run and see where my pace is and not have to wait for the prompt. Plus, sometimes I don't hear the voice prompt. I hear it, but don't always understand what she said.

The features I would really like to have in a running watch are: gps to track the run, ability to look at my pace during the run, heart rate would be nice (I have not used a HRM monitor before). I'm not really sure what else I would need as far as running goes.

As a watch, it would be nice to have text and email alerts. One thing that I do like about the FR35 is it seems a little smaller and I like the square face. I'm afraid some of the others would have a watch face that is larger than my wrist.

It seems to me that the FR35 would do all of the things I want. But I am a little afraid of spending a lot of money and then being disappointed in the features or lack of features. Has anyone used a FR35 before? I know it is not one of the "fanciest" watches out there, but is it a good beginner running watch. Or would I immediately start wishing for something else? I would like to have a running watch, but I do need to be considerate of the budget as I already need new shoes (again). So I am ok with getting a basic running watch as long as it isn't too basic and does what I want.

I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR. I got it because not only will it track runs, it will do swimming and biking (along with others.) If you are pretty low tech now, I bet the FR35 would be good. I wanted a few more things on mine and like you couldn't justify the 300-500 price tag for most. Someone on here told me about a sale and got mine that way for my birthday. I only have to charge mine once every 5-7 days and it takes less than 30 minutes for a complete charge.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@rolaasad instead of thinking you need to run 2 miles or 3 miles or whatever the number is, just go out and run. Don't put limits on the run. If it's just a few hundred meters, that's great. If it's more, that's great too! If you need to walk, that's no problem. Walk until you've rested enough to run again. Walking & running are both great! Just get out to take a few strides and see what happens. My other suggestion is to run SLOW! Some beginners feel they need to run fast and all that does is tire you out too soon and take away your motivation A nice easy run, slow enough that you could carry on a conversation or sing a song, is just about right.

@rolaasad - ^^^ this, exactly what @7lenny7 says! It takes a bit of time and effort to get over that hump to where you really want/can't wait to get out and just run but you will get there. Just keep at it and take it slow. For me I used to tell myself how great it felt just to be outside and looked forward to that bit of time for myself. I would dress for a run even if I talked myself into a walk instead and more often than not I would end up running at least some. Rather than worrying about miles at this point maybe try to think of your goal as the number of times you get out the door each week or you ran for a block or xx minutes and slowly increase that.

@rolaasad ,

I have run well over 1700 miles this year alone. I am hitting around 40-50 miles per week, and I started my adult onset running over a decade ago.

You know what? There are still plenty of days I am like "Ugh, I need to run, but this chair is comfy and got a good pile of cookies here" or whatever. :lol:

I have found that MOST of the time, all I have to do is make myself get out there and get STARTED and then let the momentum carry me through. Sometimes I abort early, but most times I just keep left-right-left-right for the full duration.

It has been said many times, it is REALLY true, running has a very large mental component to it. You just have to DECIDE to run or DECIDE to keep running. Your body knows HOW and WHAT - you just have to make the decision TO.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »

^^^ this.

I was once told that the first mile is a lie, and that is so true.

@rolaasad just as everyone before me quoted! This ^^^^. I am a fairly new (again like +20 years) runner too. Only started in July. And just as everyone says, just run. No program (if you don't want) and no limits. Run til you get tired then walk. If you're done, go home. If not, run some more.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I have a pair of smart wool I wore last year in Wisconsin. They are thin but dry quickly. (I stepped in one puddle of ice at like mile 18 of 20.)
    Love my Smart Wool socks!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37
    12/6 4.25 miles - 41.25
    12/7 10 miles - 51.25