Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Where should these guys grunt instead? Oh I know, perhaps when they at the library or church — maybe during a funeral — because a gym isn’t the place to exert yourself apparently.

It's one thing to make a noise while lifting weight. But if people can hear a person over the sounds being pumped out by their own earbuds way over in the cardio section, that's not exertion, it's a desperate cry for attention.

Agreed. Personally, I don't grunt much but if I'm maxing out on deadlifts, they're gonna make some noise!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    AGREE. Many of these are why I built a home gym because enough is enough. I just wanted to be left alone and ignored. I wiped machines before and after every use because people are gross.

The only one I would say be careful of judging is the phone thing. Some people enter workouts on their phones. That said, if they're sitting on a machine for more than 90 seconds on their phone, they're not checking the weights from last sesh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any commercial gym that I've ever been in that didn't have the rules/etiquette posted. But not everyone follows the rules.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    AGREE. Many of these are why I built a home gym because enough is enough. I just wanted to be left alone and ignored. I wiped machines before and after every use because people are gross.

The only one I would say be careful of judging is the phone thing. Some people enter workouts on their phones. That said, if they're sitting on a machine for more than 90 seconds on their phone, they're not checking the weights from last sesh.

They also could just be resting...I pretty much have a minimum of 2 minutes rest between sets. If someone wants to work in, all they have to do is ask.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

YES! And "No loud grunting or dropping weights!"

FFS it's right there on the wall. I hear dudes practically having anal aneurysms and then drop their weights and it annoys the *kitten* out of me.

Grunting: There are scientific studies that show if you grunt, you get a burst in strength. Google it.
    Dropping weights: To quietly lower a weight (the eccentric portion) that is at or near your 1 rep max on a movement like deadlift, you would be putting yourself at high risk of injury.

I agree, some people grunt and bang unnecessarily but a gym is not meant to have a spa-like atmosphere. If you want serenity when you workout, maybe yoga is up your alley? Or, throw on some headphones and drown em out!

Not entirely untrue, but for about 95% of lifters, it’s 5% science and 95% affectation. Like wearing weight belts.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Can we add old dudes hanging out nude in the locker room? Ok, it's not just old dudes, but they're the overwhelming majority. The other day, this dude is blow drying his hair for like 5 minutes in the buff...seriously? You can't do that with underwear on?

Old dude law states you have to be naked for 98% of your time in the locker room. It's suggest you always have your leg propped up so your ancient bean bag can sway freely.

Dang. I didn't know that. What age does that kick in?
  • joemac1988
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

FFS it's right there on the wall. I hear dudes practically having anal aneurysms and then drop their weights and it annoys the *kitten* out of me.

Grunting: There are scientific studies that show if you grunt, you get a burst in strength. Google it.
    Dropping weights: To quietly lower a weight (the eccentric portion) that is at or near your 1 rep max on a movement like deadlift, you would be putting yourself at high risk of injury.

I agree, some people grunt and bang unnecessarily but a gym is not meant to have a spa-like atmosphere. If you want serenity when you workout, maybe yoga is up your alley? Or, throw on some headphones and drown em out!

Not entirely untrue, but for about 95% of lifters, it’s 5% science and 95% affectation. Like wearing weight belts.

Ahhhhh...the "unnecessary weight belt" crew. They're special.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

latest?cb=20150215184837

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Ahhhhh...the "unnecessary weight belt" crew. They're special.

You mean the “I’m curling 20s so I need to pure the 1.5” wide does nothing weight belt on” guys?

I love whipping out my Inzer when they’re around. I always feel like crocodile Dundee. “That’s not a belt, this is a belt”
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

And guys -- launder your gym clothes once in a while. No one wants to gag on your stink.

There are a few members who literally wear the same exact outfit to the gym every single day like it’s their uniform. Hey whatever you are comfortable wearing, I don’t treat the gym like a fashion show either. But I do secretly wonder if they wash it between visits.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

And guys -- launder your gym clothes once in a while. No one wants to gag on your stink.

That's not my clothes... although I prefer to crop dust by the cardio machines and not the free weight area. ;)
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.