December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @Elise4270 yes I brought Mia in just where it was looking like the concussion I had as a kid. They said she's fine, so idk but she is incredibly angsty today. Her first words when I woke her up this morning we're, "I don't want YOU! I want Daddy!" :#

Aww kids! :wink: glad she's ok.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @stoshew71, @7lenny7 ,@ceciliaslater, @hjeppley , @MNLittleFinn , @PastorVincent , @rusgolden and anyone that I missed....

Thanks for the empathy! I am just so happy to be moving forward. It does suck to be down, nothing I haven't already done.

Now for some retail therapy (the way
    Dr @karllundy prescribes). ohh I see a MAAAAAALLL on this long drive home (I'm really in the lot- not driving and texting).... No more Starbucks tho. Gahhh caffeine jitters.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    12/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day
    12/05 - 10.1 miles @ 9:21
    12/06 - 10 miles @ 9:24
    12/07 - Strength + 7 miles @ 9:14
    12/08 - Nada
    12/09 - Nada
    12/10 - Nada
    12/11 - 11 miles @ 9:53
    12/12 - 9 miles @ 9:53
    12/13 - Nada

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

No run today - maybe tomorrow.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Glad you have a plan! Had to look up the decompression and am a little confused. Are they removing the trochanteric bursa too? Or is that the surgery you are avoiding? Curious because, besides wanting you to be able to run ASAP, I am wondering if my periodic hip/butt pain isn't a milder form of some of the issues you've had. Also, if you have the means, retail therapy is always appropriate!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - You ran up Diamondhead?!?! OMG, when I was there I weighed ~280 lbs. and gasped the whole way up walking.
    @PastorVincent - FWIW, like @MNLittleFinn , my hands get cold based more upon the wind than the temperature too. Today was ~40° F, but super windy and my hands felt like ice cubes. And roads are definitely a better choice than most sidewalks.
    @greenolivetree - Sorry things are rough. Hope you feel better soon!
    @JessicaMcB - glad your daughter is OK. I've had to deal with a kid that has had 4 (at least) concussions in the last two years. Ugh! His head is some kind of magnet for objects (mostly other people). I don't like 20 miles in a week on the 'mill, I can't imagine a single run. You are some sort of running prodigy / god / freak and I am in awe!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2
    12/2 - 2.5
    12/4 - 3.3
    12/7 - 4.2
    12/9 - 7.4
    12/11 - 3.0
    12/13 - 4.2

December total: 28.8/ ???
  • Elise4270
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Glad you have a plan! Had to look up the decompression and am a little confused. Are they removing the trochanteric bursa too? Or is that the surgery you are avoiding? Curious because, besides wanting you to be able to run ASAP, I am wondering if my periodic hip/butt pain isn't a milder form of some of the issues you've had. Also, if you have the means, retail therapy is always appropriate!

Unfortunately, I found nothing that wanted to come home with me.

I could only assume, that he'll make the decision whether or not to remove the Bursa once he gets in there. As far as I know it is not part of the plan but it may be part of the routine procedure.

You might see if you can find you a good hip orthopedic surgeon, and have some Imaging done.

I did have some knee pain, but figured it was only part of the left hips problem not this problem with the right. Now it's turned into chronic exterior hip pain at the trochanteric bursa.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sorry to hear about you being out, but then as others have mentioned, now that there's light at the end of the tunnel, that must bring its own form of relief. And that violin, oh that violin!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @karllundy If you have deep butt pain, in the piriformis area, you might research DGS. The diagnostic tool is an EMG, and a special MRI t3 I think..

My case was caused by a blood vessel, I guess wrapped around somewhere, as well as 3 nerve branches tethering the sciatic nerve. My guy, Hal Martin, has publications on the matter. I'm part of his next study group... :grin: My posterior is a fascinating statistic.

So sometimes, no amount of PT and dedication to rehab will fix it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Sorry to hear about you being out, but then as others have mentioned, now that there's light at the end of the tunnel, that must bring its own form of relief. And that violin, oh that violin!

Yes it does.... Now I just have to tell work. :open_mouth:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm so glad you have a plan and know what you are facing.
    @karllundy I ran up all the steps. We couldn't run the entire thing too many people
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    December goal: 75 miles

12/3: 9.1 miles
    12/5: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    12/6: 4.2 miles
    12/8: 4.1 miles
    12/10: 8.1 miles
    12/12: 4.2 miles
    12/13: 4.2 miles

37/75

I managed 4.2 miles today. I felt slow and sluggish, but I guess they can't all be awesome runs. I was really tired today and that probably didn't help my run. But I felt good afterwards so I was glad I got out there.

@elise4270 Sorry about the no running, but it's good to know what you are dealing with.

@skippygirlsmom It was 75F today, but it is supposed to be 55F tomorrow. I'm going to take your advise and wear gloves and a headband. It might not seem that cold to most, but I hate having cold hands.

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Whoo!!!!

No long distance running...
    Surgery January 25th.

Endoscopic decompression of the ITB that is 7mm thick at the I attachment. He said 5mm warrants surgical intervention, because there's no way I'm getting that thickness to stretch.

6 week crutches, said I'd be 70% at 12 weeks. And I should be able to resume running, I have a good hip structure for running, *flatterer*

Run on my people's.

Oh ouch! Sorry @Elise4270. I am glad there is a fix and you will be up and running soon. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Congrats on your first ultra! :lol: That is great time! :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I could only assume, that he'll make the decision whether or not to remove the Bursa once he gets in there. As far as I know it is not part of the plan but it may be part of the routine procedure.

PLEASE do not do this. ASK about it. Ask why they would or would not. Do not even assume your doctor is thinking about it at all. Participate in your care. You will be much better off in the long run.

I understand your point. But he's the expert, not me. He'll tell me exactly what he'll do and why the morning of the surgery. I have no doubt in his abilities and judgement. Which is why he's my surgeon.

I do hope the bursa is removed. It's such a pain.