December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    QUESTION:

Maybe it is just cause I am fat, old and slow... but when I have to take a bunch of days OFF in a row, the first run back is like stiff and more painful. Is that normal?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    QUESTION:

Maybe it is just cause I am fat, old and slow... but when I have to take a bunch of days OFF in a row, the first run back is like stiff and more painful. Is that normal?

Depends on how long a bunch is and the reason for the lay off.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - it was in the 40s in the morning and got to a high of 65 or so I think! But I love all that for running!

@jessicamcb - wow 100! Was that a race or just your own course? Riding a bike 100 miles is painful, I can't even fathom running 100 miles!

I had a plan for running somewhere different after work but the traffic was at a standstill everywhere this afternoon. Took me an hour to get home and would have take 1.5 to get to where I had planned to run. So just went home and ran from there. I should have just changed and school and run from there! Oh well... another day!

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + Strength Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day12
    12/5 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 13 + strength training W3B
    12/6 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 14
    12/7 - 1.3 miles #RWRunStreak Day 15 + strength training W3C
    12/8 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 16
    12/9 - 7 miles! #RWRunStreak Day 17
    12/10 - 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day 18 + Glutes W4A
    12/11 - 3.11 miles #RWRunStreakDay 19

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png

• SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    weat0043 wrote: »
    Well I was right... I went for a walk this afternoon and was NOT prepared for the cold... A pair of leggings, and a pair of sweats, a wind breaker, sweater, and tank top, and a hat! Still not enough for -12°C. I still haven't warmed up. :(
    Dec. 11 - 6.1km
    MTD - 28km/60km

I can't believe I'm complaining about 24F at the end of this week! Dang! You're hardcore!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,920 Member
    Options
    QUESTION:

Not sure about normal, but I understand it. Anytime I take a time out or rest time, I hurt starting back.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I am just now catching up on the thread of your achievement. That is an amazing performance! Sorry I missed when I posted this morning! Can't wait to watch you slay in a "real" race.
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB Wow, just wow. I am in awe. I don't know how you are able to do the kind of running you do and still manage to take care of three small children. Truly remarkable!

This. Truly this! I have ONE child and feels like it is impossible to get 20 mile runs in. And he is 14!

My new strategy is to take the child along. Granted, that is only working on runs up to 5.5 mi so far...but he is only 9, and he'll grow. And for now, Dad can retrieve him when he reaches his limit (or bring him about an hour into my run). I guess I should take advantage of the situation now because I don't think I'll be able to keep up with him much longer. :smiley:
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @SusanDSME I just knew if I didn't go today I probably wouldn't go for the next couple either and I hadn't gone the last few! I just needed to get out there. 24°F has been one of my favourite running temps since I started running a couple months ago.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Did part of my hilly route today, so a bit slower but almost 1000 foots of elevation. The only thing of note was I saw a lady that was HAPPY running, all bright eyes and smiles AND of course had a beautiful dog, probably a golden, running by her side. She cheerfully said hi as she ran by (we were heading in opposite directions).

Must have been an alien. That is the only thing I can come up with to explain it.

I don’t think I ever look happy while I’m running! In fact friends will tell me - oh I saw you running, you looked so serious I didn’t beep or wave.

It’s my trying not to die while running face.

Exactly. I even had one guy stop me and was like "you alright? you look terrible" heh - thanks?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MobyCarp Congrats on kicking 1/2 their butts :)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Whee! Take a couple days off, miss 250 posts!

I was a lazy bum over the weekend. I felt okay, it's just that it was cold and I just wanted to stay inside and hibernate. Today I was back at it, watching the finale of season 2 of The Great British Baking Show and running 5 miles.

Today it snowed just in time for the evening rush hour. What a lovely drive home. Not. I really wish I could have run in that snow, though, but alas, it was dark and I didn't want to get hit by a car in the low visibility.

The last couple weeks or so I've been having a lot of issues with my IBS. We're talking loads of painful gas and some of the big D here and there. I went to see my general doctor about it and he prescribed Bentyl, which I can take when my symptoms flare up. So far it's worked pretty well and I kind of wish I'd known about it sooner because I've been dealing with IBS pretty much my entire life and this would have been nice to have during other flare-ups. I also discovered that the protein powder I'd been putting in my morning smoothie is a huge gas culprit. Boo, I really liked that stuff. Oh well, guess I'll have to get my protein another way.

No appointments tomorrow which means I can run M-T-W-Th this week. Friday's almost always a rest day because I go to my mom's house after work and hang out with her and my son. Saturday and Sunday I play by ear. Sometimes I'm not feeling it, other times I want to go for a nice long run.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Went back and read a bunch of the posts I missed. I usually run 100 miles in a month. I simply cannot fathom running 100 miles in one run. Simply cannot.

Wow.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    QUESTION:

Depends on how long a bunch is and the reason for the lay off.

Reason: Life comes at you fast and steals your time to run
    Bunch: This case.. 3.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 that is cold for you
    @MobyCarp great race, I always enjoy your race reports. I hope the leg is nothing serious.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    weat0043 wrote: »
    @SusanDSME I just knew if I didn't go today I probably wouldn't go for the next couple either and I hadn't gone the last few! I just needed to get out there. 24°F has been one of my favourite running temps since I started running a couple months ago.

Wow. I'm impressed. 38 is my favorite, but maybe I should give 24 a try!